Needed some help/tips

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So...

I have finally finished Finnish CV+ recording list with proper voicebank.

Now my next goal is to make Finnish CVVC and later finish my really big project aka. Finnish VCV lite reclist.

CV+ is working mostly fine but there's few specific times when it sounds not that good.

I take few example, so you get what I mean.

In Finnish language, there's some words where's "h" sound middle of word and AFTER that comes usually one of this consonants d/k/t/m/n/r. (note that r is rolled in Finnish)

For example "ahma" "ahdas" "ahne" "ohra" and so on.

And what really bugs me is that when I in UTAU "a" "a h" "ma". If "a h" is too short, I barely hear it and when it's long the translation "a h" => "ma" sounds choppy and/or unnatural to my ear.

I HAD think to make "VCV" kind of recording (I mean "ah ma" and VCV oto for that) but that ended up with too big overlap/preutt settings and sounded really clumsy + too much sounds to record.

And now... IDK what kind of sounds should I add to make those kind of translations sounds more natural/understandable. Should I add "CC" or maybe perhaps "C CV" or what.

I would appreciate your feedback and tips what do you think, so I can improve that thing for my future Finnish CVVC and VCV lite reclist. Thanks!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think what you could try having "@hm@" "@hr@" samples, and then oto them as [C C]. Then it could be used like [- a][ah][h m][ma]. Or you could have "(vowel)hm@" (ahm@, ehm@, etc) and oto as [Vh C] to use as [- a][ah m][ma].

Sylveranty

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Everything what was just said. Third thing you could try would be treating the 'h' as a vowel in a VCV like string. As in your "ah ma" recording, but ignore the "a" in that and just concentrate on the h. It could look like this then: [- a][ah][h ma]. Olettazz did something similar in their Finnish VCV reclist with m, n, l, r and s.

You should try out all three options and see what gives the best result. Finnish doesn't have too many vowels and the combinations of h+consonant seem to be limited, so a uh "VC C" or "C CV" method should be affordable.

Reactions: Nohkara

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Thank you both for your tips! I will test and check what gives the best results. : >
[doublepost=1459251893][/doublepost](Phhh I just remembered that "v" is also possible after "h" but that doesn't change much. :sing: hah)