New 【AL!CE.16】 CORE Bank - Feedback needed

Discussion in 'Requested VB Critiques' started by Kitcat190, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Kitcat190

Kitcat190 Defoko's Slaves Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Heyo! So for like the 5th time, I'm requesting critiques on my new CORE bank.
    It's definitely a BETA test type of bank. But as of now, it is private to download. Meaning I will not publically post the download link!

It has been a rollercoaster with these banks ; u ;' I'm really trying hard to get out a voicebank that I'm personally happy wth, and one I hope others will be happy with!

Here is the full cover: https://clyp.it/maptzn25

This bank features E3+A3+E4+A4+E5 pitches, A4 Falsetto, CV + CV growl (for beginning notes), vocal fry, glottal stops, and extra breaths

Some things I'd like to be looked at, but are not limited to:​
    • How is the range and pitches used?
    • How is the tone of voice? Pleasant? Ear-shattering?
    • Is there any quality or tone difference between pitches or samples? If so, be specific.
    • Would you use it/what genres does this voice suit?
    • As of the oto that is completed, how is it? Does the oto vary? Is it smooth, choppy, slurry?
    • How is the overall quality, is it LQ or HQ?
    • Are there any major pronunciation issues? Do some recordings have a more closed mouth feel?
    • Does the bank flow/sound natural?
    • Are you happy with the overall bank? If so, state why. If not, state why.
    • Is there anything that is not needed or needs to be added?
    • Is this bank more "robotic" or "human"
    • Is this bank hard or easy to tune with?
    • If you have mixed with this bank, what do you like and dislike while mixing with it?
    • Is the bank user friendly (from begginner to experienced)

______________________________________________________________​

I don't mind if the critique is a response on here, on the UTAU showcase item, or in another form! I would really appreciate any word! Be as mean as you want. Thank you for reading! ; 7 ;

If you'd link to BETA test this bank, please let me know!

3. HoneyPai

HoneyPai Defoko's Slaves Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Send it over

Kitcat190 likes this.
  4. Kitcat190

Trophy Points
    MKAY

5. Kuku Klock

Kuku Klock Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    can I has?

Kitcat190 likes this.
  6. Kitcat190

Trophy Points
    Yes you can has, I will send it over!

7. HoneyPai

HoneyPai Defoko's Slaves Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Here I come

• How is the range and pitches used? The range is nice in way (you'll know why in a way once ya keep reading)

• How is the tone of voice? Pleasant? Ear-shattering?-- Very nice, the A4 was a little painful to listen to outside of UTAU though

• Is there any quality or tone difference between pitches or samples? If so, be specific.-- Everything seems to flow well with the exception of the growl

• Would you use it/what genres does this voice suit?-- Slow songs, maybe strong vocal songs, rock? Pop

• As of the oto that is completed, how is it? Does the oto vary? Is it smooth, choppy, slurry? Smooth but obviously still needs to be finished, and I'm not sure if this is just moresampler's aliases, but sounds that should be k's are g's(?)

• How is the overall quality, is it LQ or HQ? -- HQ, even the growl despite it sounding weird

• Are there any major pronunciation issues? Do some recordings have a more closed mouth feel? -- I noticed this right off the bat, your pronunciation on the t sounds like "ta" are pronounced more like "tah" and it's in all pitches. As for the growl, I can definitely tell you struggled because, going to be honest, it sounded more like you were trying to poop and some samples were not completely growl. Some were growl all the way through and others were not.

• Does the bank flow/sound natural?-- It varies on the song I'd say, I was testing her with Flowerwall and her jumps from A3 to E4 were weird during the "woo" parts if you've heard the song. And I otoed some of the growl sounds to test it and it sounds extremely awkward, once again, sounds like she's trying to poop. And A4 is noticeably has more nasal on some sounds, so in some cases it sounds weird when going from E4 to A4. E5 does not flow well for the most part, it sounds too childish compared to the rest of the bank.

• Are you happy with the overall bank? If so, state why. If not, state why.-- I'm pretty pleased with the majority of it , but I'll admit I was sad to hear all the t sounds sounding like "tah, teh" etc.

• Is there anything that is not needed or needs to be added?-- No I'd say, but maybe try again on the growl and E5

• Is this bank more "robotic" or "human"-- more of an in between because es UTAU, es not gonna sound exactly human, but it's very natural sounding

• Is the bank user friendly (from begginner to experienced)-- For beginner, probably not

partial and Kitcat190 like this.
  8. Kitcat190

Trophy Points
    TEAR ME TO SHREDS SOME MOREE HNNNNNN

HoneyPai likes this.
  9. Kuku Klock

Kuku Klock Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Okay! Here we go love!

How is the range and pitches used? I think they are fine. They have a nice transition and now too far apart.

How is the tone of voice? Pleasant? Ear-shattering? I personally like the tone of it. Its kinda calm and soothing for me and doesn't make my ears ring cause they sensitive.

Is there any quality or tone difference between pitches or samples? If so, be specific. Not any that were bad. like teh E3 pitch was softer than A3 to me, but that works for songs like Ashes to Ashes. The growls are cute....AND YTOUR BREATHES DARLING TEACH ME THOSE AMG I LOVE THEM SO MUCH.

Would you use it/what genres does this voice suit? Slower songs like Ashes to Ashes, Alice, 1975(or whatever the number is) Honeymoon un dues troix. songs like those do good with this voice bank.

As of the oto that is completed, how is it? Does the oto vary? Is it smooth, choppy, slurry? The oto is fine to me. I'm just nitpicky and I adjusted to my otoing style, but its fine as it stands.

How is the overall quality, is it LQ or HQ? 11/10 HQ love. 11/10.

Are there any major pronunciation issues? Do some recordings have a more closed mouth feel? None that I picked up. Everything was crisp and clear for me. Did I mention how cute the growls were and I love the breathes?

Does the bank flow/sound natural? Yes at the prefix map you set it in yes. It flows nicely for me. Cause I'm more of a soft/hard type o Kuku. like I love banks that can be soft one note and hard the very next note and still sound good.

Are you happy with the overall bank? If so, state why. If not, state why. I really like this bank. From the usts I've put Al!ce in, she works well with most pitchbends minus the J curve if its used too often (but lets face it, I'm the only one who uses that curve aggressively) and adding Vibrato to her voice amg I love it.The tone and the difference in pitches are A++ darling. A + flippin +.

Is there anything that is not needed or needs to be added?Not if you dont wanna add anything, its fine as it is. Its hard to find a VB with growls AND the variety of breaths you gave this one and i love it.

Is this bank more "robotic" or "human" More human, definitely.

Is this bank hard or easy to tune with? Like I said, easy, just no J curves.

If you have mixed with this bank, what do you like and dislike while mixing with it? I haven't mixed with it yet, bu t from what I'm getting with RAW vocals, she'll be super easy to mix by herself or with voices around her range. Super deep male Utau might drown her out tho.

Is the bank user friendly (from begginner to experienced) Its easy to use for me, but I recommend putting like a sample wav on the out side of the folders so newer users can click that and the oto with all the pitches show up, rather than having to use the drop down menu thingy to select the oto and open it.

Ah, I would also like to point out (unless my comp just likes them) She does sound good with TIPS and Moresampler, but Vs4u and fresamp14 are also good choices. Teh default is okay, and w4u was a miss with me.

Kitcat190 likes this.
  10. kimchi-tan

kimchi-tan Your local Mikotard Global Mod Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Please send me this beautiful bank.

Kitcat190 likes this.
  11. Echo the lala Blaziken

Echo the lala Blaziken Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Let me have a try please :P

Kitcat190 likes this.
  12. Kitcat190

Trophy Points
    Thank you for the feedback! Let me know if anything else comes up! You're always free to comment or let me know T u T9

kimchi-tan likes this.
  13. Echo the lala Blaziken

Trophy Points
    • How is the range and pitches used? I think they are great, just the right pitches for my liking.
    • How is the tone of voice? Pleasant? Ear-shattering? Nope, not at all. (But with my mixing yes (Cries forever) )
    • Is there any quality or tone difference between pitches or samples? If so, be specific. I do not find a difference in quality or tone.
    • Would you use it/what genres does this voice suit? I think that she could be used for any genre if used correctly.
    • As of the oto that is completed, how is it? Does the oto vary? Is it smooth, choppy, slurry? I found it really smooth, no problems at all.
    • How is the overall quality, is it LQ or HQ? This is defiantly high quality
    • Are there any major pronunciation issues? Do some recordings have a more closed mouth feel? I never heard anything wrong with the pronunciation... And closed mouth?
    • Does the bank flow/sound natural? It flows really well and is a big improvement from your last bank I used her.
    • Are you happy with the overall bank? If so, state why. If not, state why. I am happy with the bank, has a good tone, wide pitch range and lots of things to play around with
    • Is there anything that is not needed or needs to be added? I do not think so.
    • Is this bank more "robotic" or "human" It's more human.
    • Is this bank hard or easy to tune with? She is easy to tune.. Even for me... Someone who is really bad at tuning.
    • If you have mixed with this bank, what do you like and dislike while mixing with it? I like it that she can sound more powerful or soft when mixing it different ways. The thing I don't like is that she can sometimes peak the audio... But not much.
    • Is the bank user friendly (from begginner to experienced) Well.. Since there is a lack of FRQs in the bank, some beginners might not know how to use her and that the auto vcv don't work on her (For me anyways) so... This bank is more suited for people who have some or a lot of experience with UTAU.

I made a thing

Kitcat190 likes this.
  14. partial

partial ☆★VCCV☆★ Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Would you mind if I test this bank?

Kitcat190 likes this.
  15. Kitcat190

Trophy Points
    Thank you for the feedback! And what do you mean by auto vcv? The plugin? Also, I noticed when I used gender flags + tips, she increases in volume, was that the same for you?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 10, 2017 ---
    I don't mind at all! I'll shoot you a message!

16. Echo the lala Blaziken

Trophy Points
    Oh umm.. TIPs never worked for me on her.. And yes the plugin :P

partial likes this.
  17. Kitcat190

Trophy Points
    Hmmm that's interesting. Have you tried re-downloading TIPS and use the resampler patcher on it? And I'll check with the vcv plugin as well!

partial likes this.
  18. kimchi-tan

Trophy Points
    kimchi here to tear you to shreds ;^)
    followed your guide but decided to organize it into paragraph form(-ish) as a way to exercise my writing skills but I don't want to write an introduction and i used first person bc lazy
    [hr]
    Al!ce's voice has a great range and a well-spaced choice of pitches especially with her falsetto pitch giving more dynamic. Her tone is a good balance between soft and strong making her suit most songs, however, her voice is too strong to suit whispery songs such as Hirari but too weak for stronger songs such as Reversible Campaign. Songs that are not too soft and not too strong such as Envy Catwalk or Voice (like in the sample in the OP) suit her the best whether lively or mellow. While the recordings are high quality, the notes do not transition well with the resamplers with the exception of moresampler and vocal fries tend to have a low-quality render no matter the resampler - this maybe be a resampler limitation than voicebank problem but other factors that may have contributed to this is the imperfect frq files or how the vowels have little cutoff which also may cause incorrect elongation on looping resamplers.
    upload_2017-6-19_17-16-2.png
    Inconsistencies in the voicebank include awkward transitions between pitches. The E5 pitch is weaker than A4 and may cause overpowering transitions. The falsetto pitch as well tends to stick out when transitioning to and from A4 and E4. Another inconsistency is how the R is pronounced between pitches. The Rs on the lower pitches tend to be slippery while the Rs on the higher pitches tend to be harder.
    upload_2017-6-19_17-16-42.png
    upload_2017-6-19_17-17-27.png

While I would not say that the voicebank is not at the peak of its highest potential, using it indeed enjoyable. Like most voicebanks, minimal tuning will end up with a robotic result, Al!ce can sound very human with more detailed tuning. Other than what has been previously mentioned and unfinished oto, the only other thing that I would like added are inhales/breathes (not the breathes with the vowel preceded but individual, standout breaths). As a long-time UTAU user, I would say that this voicebank is not recommended for beginners but more for intermediate users due to Al!ce's many add-ons and for multiple pitches to be used effectively (changing the pitchs for better transition, lower pitches on higher notes for more dynamics, etc.).

Extra:
    I recommending changing the suffix for the falsetto from A4F to F since it's much easier to type out.
    I haven't tried mixing her yet huhu

Kitcat190 likes this.
  19. Kitcat190

Trophy Points
    I was ready to be torn, but instead I was just lightly poked

Would you say the r's, E4 and Falsetto need to be re-recorded or are just minor things that can be fixed later on? I am shooting for consistency but I have limited time to record ; u ; I definitely want to know what are important things to get done if they absolutely have to. (also every time I record vocal-fry it never renders happily, so maybe it's an issue with me? OTL) And I will do with changing the suffix and cuttoffs!

20. Kitcat190

Trophy Points
    To anyone that has downloaded the bank, there was another recording error! _ぱんぱぱぴぱぷぱ was misread as _ぽんぽぽぱぽぴぽ !! If you'd like the fixed recording please let me know and I will send it over with the oto strand!

21. kimchi-tan

Trophy Points
    I should have burned instead then huh? 3:

I personally don't mind the different ways the Rs were pronounced since it gives variety to the pronunciation and if the user wants all slippery Rs for example, they could just use a lower pitch in place. As for what needs to be rerecorded, I'd say either the falsetto or E4 for them to transition naturally.

Kitcat190 likes this.