One language or Multilingual voicebanks?

Choose:

• 1 language / VB

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 2 or more languages / VB

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

danlof99

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I think that it depends so much on the language... you can't (or at least it'so too difficult) make a voicebank for two entirely different languages... it's okay if you do something like japanese and spanish, that are structured in a similar way, but not something like german and italian lol

Aura Autumnus

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I am Completely Confused. (I will look it up on youtube later)
@u'keI
[doublepost=1474292116][/doublepost]
I think that it depends so much on the language... you can't (or at least it'so too difficult) make a voicebank for two entirely different languages... it's okay if you do something like japanese and spanish, that are structured in a similar way, but not something like german and italian lol

It really depends on the vowels. And the presence of VCs/ CCs or not.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's fun to have multiple languages in one bank, especially when you can do other languages that the bank wasn't originally designed for. However, even if the standard phonetic transcription of languages uses the same phonetic symbols, they might not be exactly the same in reality. For example, the Swedish /ɛ/ is higher than the English /ɛ/. So if you want the language to sound right, you want a bank specifically designed for it.
For example, many voicebanks have extra samples that lend Esperanto compatibility, but only an Esperanto-specific bank will have "gvi" "kna" etc. samples.

Reactions: Nohkara

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
True.
That's why I would do a
ɛSw and ɛENG
Maybe more complicated but it fits suite.

Yeah, but at some point, you're just going to have an entire swedish bank and an entire english bank both in the same folder, and you'll be using them together so rarely that it's more practical just to make the banks separate and make separate USTs for them.

Efficient/practical/fun to use multilingual banks can only ever have a loose pronunciation.

This debate between multilinguality and linguistic accuracy is partially the reason that I'm no longer working on the LEXYS project.

CRTブラック

Darkness Incarnate
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Efficient/practical/fun to use multilingual banks can only ever have a loose pronunciation.
True As well. I would say that the only way for a good Sounding Multilingustic Voicebank would have to be done by someone who can speak both languages. But still the practicality of being able to use both languages in the same song without having to hunt both voicebanks down can make some beautiful music.

Maybe2Morrow

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
What's you're native language, if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry for the late reply. i had Chemestry.

Anyway, my native language is Danish what would have really many sounds nearing the japanese. Example when i say "de" is it like saying "det" on danish ^^

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I prefer to have 1 language/VB, so then...

- VB won't become too big as a file like others has said before me in this threat

- UGHT, OTO GONNA BE A BIG WORK (and recording very likely too)

- no need to scratch own head and be like "hmm how gonna I name two different R's or E's" for example (unless you know X-sampa - or you're creative enough for own naming system?)

- The accent... It's impossible to make a multi language VB to have an "native" accent for each language (my accent and pitch changes between my two mother languages). You would need to choose "main support language" + "accent".

- The languages; if absolutely wanna make a multilingual VB, it's good idea that the languages' phonetics aren't /too/ far away each other. Like @danlof99 mentioned: Spanish and Japanese will still be workable due similar vowels/consonants (basically need to two different "u" for Japanese/Spanish and add some ending consonants and CC for Spanish) but then other language combinations will be very likely eww and reclist length going to explode

I personally like that 1 language per VB works the best (with some extra samples for example for Engrish or something). It's easiest in that way IMO.

Lastly: Very VERY few people actually NEEDS a multi language VB at the end; people (usually) works mainly with one or two language(s) only.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Aura Autumnus

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Heh, the thing is... no matter what, we all have X accent. That is, if we go multilingual, we need a custom and individual list because we come from different places. *writes 5 different kinds of R and eats them with tomato and lettuce*
[doublepost=1474299391][/doublepost]So what do you say? 1 language unless the languages are too similar in speaking? but what about broad-spoken languages? like "I'm X potato and I want a VB for English and Spanish maaaaaan"