Opinions of UTAU then vs now?

P

partial

I'm simply curious to see how your thoughts on utau have changed over time.

When I found UTAU, which was just a few months after I found Vocaloid, I honestly thought it was a really stupid concept, just a bunch of people who wanted to be like Vocaloid voice providers. So for a long time, I disliked the program as a whole. I think one day I ended up deciding to try it, because I was so desperate to have a Vocaloid but had no source of income at the time. That's when I grew to like it, once I had a lot of tutorials and a decent understanding. but then i found Polkaloid (but did eventually buy my boy len!) and sorta fell out of utau mostly

Now, years later, I think UTAU is the most creative outlet singthesis lovers have at this point in time, and I'm really grateful for it.

Have your opinions changed over time?

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Uhm, what to say...

When I found out about UTAU (which was after VOCALOID too) I actually thought it was a cool concept, but by the time only the robotic covers of Kasane Teto existed (mainly) so while I liked it, I used to prefer VOCALOID and was the stupid "UTAU is cool, but VOCALOID is way better";

Nowadays I see that UTAU is on the same level of VOCALOID, and I prefer UTAU 100 rimes over VOCALOID, I see UTAU as a professional tool that lacks interface/HUD, but other than that professional if you work with good VBs+good skills. Also, UTAU can even handle instruments/soundfonts just like other DAW that were made for instruments.

mallowkey

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hmmmm....

Well, my first thought on it was that UTAU was just like VOCALOID, in the sense that it was limited to a Japanese audience and voice sources only; you had to be purely Japanese for you to even be popular. I did enjoy UTAU back then, but I was so focused on popularity (or lack thereof) that I didn't really enjoy it as much as I could have; I saw it as a competition.

Now? I'm pretty much just so happy to be a part of an UTAU community such as this! ^^ I get to learn a lot about myself when it comes to voicing, I get to learn about terms and tuning and mixing... stuff that I initially took for granted back then.

Last edited:

the-neo-romantic

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Well, I always thought both vocaloid and utau are pretty amazing - that never changed!
Back in 2010 I obviously knew vocaloids first, and I started to like utaus not so long after. I was just a kid, and I thought that both programs are the most fun thing on earth. But I started to have a bigger interest in utau in 2012 - I just loved (and I still do - but I have a very different taste :P) all the characters, their designs and personalities and voices... It inspired me to make my own characters colorful and diverse.

And ofcourse back then I thought that utaus are super advanced to make - there weren't as many tutorials back then and here in Poland - there wasn't even a community.

Also, I'm gonna go full-nostalgic mode and say, that I remember hearing Namine Ritsu CV sing for the first time in probably late 2010. I think the song was "dear you". I was so amazed by it, and now it wouldn't even be considered something special - just a decent cover. Which is... kinda good in a way - it means we all got forward with our skills!

Reactions: RenzoA and partial

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
When I first learned of utau, I was being introduced to vocaloid at around the same time, so my knowledge of both parties was lacking at the time. My friend told me to check out vocaloid, and soon after told me that we could work on making our own utau, who at the time seemed to be on the same level in a way, at least to us(or me), so I was pumped with both. At the time, which was like 2014, most of the utau covers I saw were robotic sounding, like Teto, Defoko, the mainstream ones, but I didn't know enough to mind so I never hated them or anything. The thing is that I only saw utau popular like teto receiving the same kind of attention as the cryptonloifds, hence the reason why I thought they were on the same level even if they weren't exactly the same. As time progressed, like around now, as I created and designed more utau, I took it more seriously, although I had assumed that utau could just sound nice even though I had little examples of that before, but I saw utau like makune hachi, yamine renri, gahata meiji, etc. I always thought vocaloid and utau were cool, but now I like utau more ^^ I just tend to care about them more than vocaloids and new vocaloids, although I do like miku and gumi haha... So that's my story lol

Reactions: partial

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I will forever remember the first time I've known about UTAU and the way I've entered fandom (even though the tiniest details don't come back to my mind right now)

Basically like everyone else, I started with Vocaloid (still debating who was the actual first Vocaloid I've ever heard in my life between Miku and the Kagamine, but i still think it was Miku because I recall I've fallen on a video in Japanese explaining things about her concept, VOCALOID program, etc ) with the Crypton crew and the V1 vocals being the only voicebanks I've heard back in the time, and would quicker be more complete as I woudl listen then to Sweet Ann and Big Al (and Luka waaaay later)

Then, through some searches, as Vocaloid only works with premade -and bought- voicebanks set, I had discovered UTAU pretty early. What amazed me was first, having a FREE synthesizer offering something close to it, despite the two engines and programs' own particularities, and second thing, to be able to create yourself a voicebank and import it into it. As I was kinda shy, and I'm highly curious, I've decided to search further about it. I then fell on a website (I think it was a French one, but I've read some articles in English too)... I knew Teto was an UTAU so I didn't fall into the trap, however I did imagined Ritsu as a witch girl/woman OTL""' ;;;;;

My first ideas and impressions on the programs were the following : I was liking it even if it was sounding robotic compared with some Vocaloids who didn't have as much noticeable roboctiness rendering, and I was ready to record, but needed to find out some tutorials to look at before. However, I was nearly feeling discouraged at times, between the fact I've spent one year without doing anything but trying to make a concept or eventually start the needed recordings... The installation of the program and the otoing were the negative points of it x_x"' As I didn't know where to ask about things, I've stalked one of the earliest versions of Utaforum until I decided to create an account and learn ....

When entering high school, I was randomly trying to draw Milly and then, I've decided to draw another character as it was looking a bit more tomboyish than her usual design(s) ... I remember having hesitated between short twintails or odango buns style, until some guys suggest me to simply go and let her with short hair instead of using another hairstyle ... Years passed and I've been starting so many things, trying to polish them as well as trying to use other banks (may it be some vipperloids or overseas utaus, or simply friends' ones)

Now I still enjoy it, the advantages took over the drawbacks pretty much and having been in the fandom for so long keeps on being a good lesosn regarding either languages (as it's a way to practice on both the pronunciation and the language in itself through covers and original lyrics or even translyrics), voice acting, singing or even

My UTAUs are always meant to me to " sing " through them as I dealt with loads of complexes but now I manage to not always rely on them, and to not take the "producer VS fictional character treaten like an actual artist" vibe too highly, nor at least not as heavily as I used to in the past

And well, curiosity still strikes back so even if I'm not frequently active, I still check regularly some Voca:UTAU news (when it's not about other synthesizers I've discoeverd this whole time) and I'm still eager to experiment things ^^"' Because then and now, this also stimulated my creative side, and not only in concerns to music and recordings, but also in the art & lyrics departments.
was still

Reactions: the-neo-romantic

Soursop the fruit

✧ Fruity & Happy ✧
Defender of Defoko
Back in 2011, i found UTAU several months after i found vocaloid..But i got no interest on it at all because i only saw vipperloids who have some miku formula applied. I thought utau as a competitor to vocaloid and i didn't give a glance to it, i didn't know that it was a freeware and has wider creativity range than others.
But then 5 years later, i decided to find about what is utau actually, I listened to several utau songs and searched the web..I found that we can make our own vb with utau. And the most special is, we can create a vb with any language.
I was like "Where have i been in 5 YEARS!?" :holy:

So my opinion about utau now, it is a great software! I learned how a free and creative software can expand one's creativity and unite people from around the world.
And i found there are still few indonesia VBs and reclists, most of them are abandoned...I think it's time for me and fellow Indonesians to update/develop them, yes!

Piia

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
Hmm... stares into the vast nothingness

Then:
  • *listens to first ever UTAU cover with a poorly done Defoko* Ahhh this is terrible Miku and Luka are wayyyy better
  • *sees Ritsu, Ruko and Teto* Eww the makers are trying so hard to make them special [crossdresses/transvestite , possesses both male and female voice banks and a chimera what was a Chimera in the first place] (pls forgive me with my opinion I was a trash and cringey ~11-12 at this time)
  • Overall, UTAU are just VOCALOID wannabes
I think one day I ended up deciding to try it, because I was so desperate
OML I DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING

NOW:
  • *Listened to kyaami's End of Rain cover* Oml... UTAU is actually amazing, not to mention realistic :O
  • *sees Ritsu, Ruko, Teto and all the other UTAUs* These are all so beautiful~ They possess so many unique and special qualities <3
  • UTAU need more love than it does have (I'm not saying it isn't appreciated; I just mean it deserves so much more ^^ *yodels Ameya-hee-hoo into the mountains hoping she would come back*
I really just wanted to have fun with vocalsynth since I was younger, no particular goal to be achieved (talk about no aim XD). Now that I've joined this community, I'm having twice as much fun that I expected~ <3 ^-^ *hugs everyone who'll let me hug them XD*

P

partial

Hmm... stares into the vast nothingness

Then:
  • *listens to first ever UTAU cover with a poorly done Defoko* Ahhh this is terrible Miku and Luka are wayyyy better
  • *sees Ritsu, Ruko and Teto* Eww the makers are trying so hard to make them special [crossdresses/transvestite , possesses both male and female voice banks and a chimera what was a Chimera in the first place] (pls forgive me with my opinion I was a trash and cringey ~11-12 at this time)
  • Overall, UTAU are just VOCALOID wannabes

OML I DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING

NOW:
  • *Listened to kyaami's End of Rain cover* Oml... UTAU is actually amazing, not to mention realistic :O
  • *sees Ritsu, Ruko, Teto and all the other UTAU* These are all so beautiful~ They possess so many unique and special qualities <3
  • UTAU need more love than it does have (I'm not saying it isn't appreciated; I just mean it deserves so much more ^^ *yodels Ameya-hee-hoo into the mountains hoping she would come back*
I really just wanted to have fun with vocalsynth since I was younger, no particular goal to be achieved (talk about no aim XD). Now that I've joined this community, I'm having twice as much fun that I expected~ <3 ^-^ *hugs everyone who'll let me hug them XD*
so cute, you're too cute

ALSO LMAO @ AMEYA-HEE-HOO GD I C A N 'T

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
hmmm... I dont think I had mey opinions on utau as a program. I just thought of it as a free alternetive to vocaloid back then. And that I could use it to voice the mmd triplet characters I made (they looked terribad. with the main coloursceme being black + pink/green/blue. with only tempered/enthusiastic/sad as their personalety.).

I remember the comunity thought that the program was abandoned, then shortly after came the 4. versions. There were bugs but it eventually stopped at 4.18. I hope it's just another long pause before an uppdate stream with bug fixes for the new version soon.

I also over the years have noticed that the standard have been raised. Making a cover that would be great in the past, would be by today's standards be considrered "ok" or "good" but not great. This is a good thing thou. It means we know more how to utilize the program and what not.

I find it somewhat funny that you can easely notice if theres a trend going on through soundcloud thou. And that they come and hit hard, then they move to the back with the others. Forexample, how much people used growl in their covers when utagrowl came out compared to now. But I dont blame them, it was afterall a little taste of something different. We just binge on new trends a little too much in the start:sing:.

Crystalline

Teto's Territory
When I first heard of Utau, it was during the time I was curious about Vocaloids.

I believe it was the year 2010? 2011?
Not sure.

What prompted me to research them was when I was interested in anime at the time.
I was researching on the web for any anime I can find that I could watch.

I found this character called Black Rock Shooter who was inspired by Miku Hatsune. Plus Miku's vocals were used for the character as well.

As I clicked the link for Hatsune Miku, Black Rock sure did look like her. XD

Anyway, I started learning about what Miku was and what she was about.
I found out there were more of her kind, and so begins my research of Vocaloid.

They were interesting in how lifelike and human they were for being androids.

However, I didn't listen to their songs and voices until a year later.

Before one year later, I learned about Teto Kasane and how she was the first Utau and Vocaloid.
Or first Utau to gain Vocaloid status.

I begin to find out what Utau was.

I didn't know what freeware meant at the time, so I just assumed it was a competitor for Vocaloid.

Now a year later, in the year 2012, I began to listen to Vocaloid songs.

My first Vocaloid song was World Is Mine by Miku.
After that, it was Honey by Meiko Sakine.

This Meiko was a young teenager of herself, and the song was a MMD music video.

It was at that point when watching that, I wanted to try MMD.

Silly little me for thinking that MMD is a program for making Vocaloid models sing when it wasn't like that.

But I enjoyed playing around with it, making the models move and dance.
I was in fact good with it, but not professionally good.

After that, I listened to more Vocaloid songs, plus Utau songs.

I listened to Cantarella covers and English covers of songs used by Vocaloids and Utau.

I also listened to Vocaloids and Utauloids singing Phantom of the Opera in English. A lot of them.
Heh. I was in a Phantom of the Opera fan craze phase.

At this point, I REALLY wanted a Vocaloid program that sings.
But I found out that Vocaloid is expensive as it is shipped from Japan, and the shipping costs. :sad:

I know there was a 50% or something sale on Engloids, as I loved the Engloids more than the Vocaloids, but I never ended up buying them. ;-; ;-;

I ended up trying UTAU as it was the only option I had, plus it was free.

I confess I wanted to try Polkaloid.
But thank God and my computer that I ended up abandoning that idea.
My computer refused to download it, and I quickly heard how illegal it was.

Well, Utau wasn't so bad as I thought it was.
But I was not creating a Utauloid.
I was enjoying making Teto Kasane and Momo Momone sing.

I tried to make them sing to an original song, but no success.

Even to this day, I still can't figure out how to make Defoko sing! XD

Even looking at tutorials were not helpful because they were not thorough enough. ( I'm talking about Defoko.)

I learned how to use UTAU by myself by finding out how to download and where.
But the hands-on experience I learned is by changing the locale to Japanese on my computer.

This allowed me to mess and play around with the controls while I made Teto and Momo sing.

Lesson I learned?

Tutorials are helpful.
While it's good you want to teach yourself how to use it for making the default Utauloids you have to sing, don't be afraid to learn a few tips from people.

Especially since any new member can have a chance now, since I don't think there were tutorials on how to make an original Utauloid when I first started out. ( At least, not that I knew of.)

There are even people who are veterans in using this program, so don't be afraid to ask.
This forum is a great place to get tips and tricks.

I'm already in the process of making a few Utauloids of my own. :smile:

It's slow and steady, but it's so fun and creative since you're giving life to a vocal synthesizer of your own.

Not like those blank slate Vocaloids we all know and love, huh? :wink: