Question for UTAU character

Ameyuuki

Momo's Minion
I hope I'm posting in the right topic forum.^^; I need help choosing a surname for my UTAU Nami. I was thinking 'Utane' but that's too much like 'Nami Utaune' and I was afraid people would fire off at me for doing that. The kanji for Nami is 涙 or the katakana ナミ. It means 'wave' in Japanese. I want the name to sound nice and clear like it fits together.

Obakebaka

Momo's Minion
I'm pretty sure there is already an Utane somewhere. It's a good idea to check the wiki and other sites to make sure there's nobody that's used your utau name before.

I say try more combinations before settling on "the one". Maybe one less generic?

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
It's a big problem for some users to find a surname, but please.... try to find one that is not already taken!

Inside the wiki I have this problem a lot with some Kasanes and Yokunes... To be honest, you will be pretty attacked if you go for Utane Nami: First because of the similarity with Utaune Nami and second "Utane" is defoko's surname (her real name is Utane Uta).

A recomendation is: TAKE YOUR TIME! You don't have to rush names, design, samples, etc... do an extensive research, try to avoid known utauloids surnames (Namine, Sekka, and stuff like that) and you'll be fine.

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
You can do a lot more than Utane, I think! Try to think about something that fits your UTAU. Design-wise or personality-wise, or even voice-wise. Or you can do something water-themed, since Nami already is water-themed.

Rai

Teto's Territory
This is just my opinion so it may not matter to you but I think -ne names are kinda overused with UTAU. There are plenty of other alternatives for example 波風 (Namikaze) so 波風ナミ?

Ameyuuki

Momo's Minion
Yue Nagareboshi link said:
It's a big problem for some users to find a surname, but please.... try to find one that is not already taken!

Inside the wiki I have this problem a lot with some Kasanes and Yokunes... To be honest, you will be pretty attacked if you go for Utane Nami: First because of the similarity with Utaune Nami and second \"Utane\" is defoko's surname (her real name is Utane Uta).

A recomendation is: TAKE YOUR TIME! You don't have to rush names, design, samples, etc... do an extensive research, try to avoid known utauloids surnames (Namine, Sekka, and stuff like that) and you'll be fine.

Yeah that's why I'm trying to think of something other than 'Utane'.^^;

Ameyuuki

Momo's Minion
smeen link said:
You can do a lot more than Utane, I think! Try to think about something that fits your UTAU. Design-wise or personality-wise, or even voice-wise. Or you can do something water-themed, since Nami already is water-themed.

Thank you for the advice!^^

Ameyuuki

Momo's Minion
Obakebaka link said:
I'm pretty sure there is already an Utane somewhere. It's a good idea to check the wiki and other sites to make sure there's nobody that's used your utau name before.

I say try more combinations before settling on \"the one\". Maybe one less generic?

Alright thanks!:smile:

James

Momo's Minion
Yue Nagareboshi link said:

I agree, but I'd like to add some things.

If you want a surname that comes from a specific word, be careful.
Sometimes surnames can have double meanings.

If I'm not wrong, one time there was a case in which an UTAUloid's surname meant ****, and the creator wasn't aware of it.

Maybe try chosing surnames that don't come from the words like Love/Melody/Song/Sun/Moon/etc. They're very common.

Aline

Teto's Territory
http://jisho.org/

This site is very useful to find words, meanings and combos. This way, you can check out if the stuff you want isn't going to be a horrible and unintentional pun or if it'll be a nice one, if it'll sound cool...

Or you can sail in different seas and give her a non-Japanese surname.

brella

Momo's Minion
I'd recommend not even going for the name, Nami.
The thing about UTAU is names will indeed overlap, and it's best to find a name unique, JP or not. There are already two (or more) Nami's so I'm sure there are other nice names out there. (And lately I don't even understand why people are making "Luna's")

If you really like the name, go for it.

Jisho ^^^ is a good site too. Enter every variation; like Yue said, avoid existing surnames. Avoid surnames that sound too forced.