Regarding UTAU names

mado

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
...What's all of your opinions on pun-based names?
Like making a character's name based off of a certain phrase to highlight certain aspects of their characterisation? (eg. a domestic-themed UTAU named Okaeri Nasai)

Reactions: taigz

Melomad

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Like making a character's name based off of a certain phrase to highlight certain aspects of their characterisation? (eg. a domestic-themed UTAU named Okaeri Nasai)
I really like punny names, I think its better than normal name who mean nothing.

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I enjoy puns however personally now that I'm older I'm focusing on a more western or engish name since I don't understand Japanese and I'm focusing on English Utau work

I loved your idea of "Prism" I think it's a super near concept and it honestly pushed me to finally retire Tonyu Tasamuki whom I named in 2010 and it means something like "dripping in the streets"

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Pun names are interested and can be good if done right. However, I do not recommend to try a pun name unless your Japanese is (nearly) native level with Kanji and vocabulary TBH.

GOOD pun name is actually super hyper DIFFICULT for non-native. I don't say that you can't but if you want to play save with naming a character

A) ASK someone who actually can Japanese to give a honest opinion of name and give a feedback

B ) stick with "normal/real" names

C) don't give Japanese name at all! In fact (at least in overseas UTAU community) finds non-Japanese names more interesting/original

Reactions: Kiyoteru

mado

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Thanks for the replies, everyone!
@Pupuomena Could you PM me? I want to hear your verdict on the name I want to settle with for my UTAU.

Reactions: Nohkara