Should I change my Utau's voice? And how to make you voice clearer in UTAU?

hotaru7masami7

Momo's Minion
Reason why I really, really, want to change my Utau's voice: Because when I played a song... or all songs I made her sing..she sounds like Megurine Luka.. especially in Innocence. I'm not lying. I swear to the heavens that Masami sounds like her. So.. do I have to rerecord everything (it's fine by me though) and change my voice a little or do I let Masami be and have a Luka-sound-alike?

If you want.. I'll give you a sample: http://soundcloud.com/hotarumasami77/hotaru-masami

My Luka sound-alike Utau has a bit of an unclear voice.. how can make it clearer? Buy a better mic? Oh and.. the mic I used is already built-in with my netbook.... :/ or do I have to buy a mic? But I don't have enough money to buy one.. what are some other ways?

Thanks again for listening (or reading) this problem of mine.. I really appreciate some helpful tips..
I really need you help.. and I'm really in a tight space here.. and new to UTAU... :sick:

Lemondolly

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
There are numerous ways to getting a clearer voice:
1.) As you said, get a better mic. Logitech generally has clear mics.
2.) Get the fresamp sampler for UTAU. This helps A LOT, although m4 seems to be the clearest right now.
3.) If you record in audacity, in effects try using the noise removal. This doesn't really help me, but it might help you.

So here is my UTAU in which I have a Logitech mic and used fresamp:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopmqXmHaXw

Her voice is really clear, but I don't use the noise removal in audacity.
Definitely try re-recording her is you think you might want to try a new mic. Don't forget to oto her, though.

As for your UTAU sounding like Luka, I don't really see the comparison. They don't sound all that alike.

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I can't comment on pronunciation or quality beyond "you recorded this in a car and it sounds like crap now", which it doesn't remotely sound like XD. I agree that a new resampler should do you fine.

I'll have to say, though, I think you should keep a few different samplers on hand. Different resamplers give the voice different properties, and they don't necessarily give worse quality than any other (and fresamp doesn't always give out flawless results, either). Every resampler reacts to a voicebank differently, and will often render different (surprising!) results.

-BK01 can give results and I like it as an alternative to fresamp - sometimes it makes a voice way too nasal, though.
-TIPS is really hit-or-miss and the fact that it doesn't take flags is a SUPER BUMMER.
-Fresamp's usually my last option because it takes forever to process. Also, if you have more than one UTAU project open using it, it refuses to work for more more than one 'loid during a session. However, it's very nice for softer voices (which sound robotic in default resampler).
-There's World 4 UTAU but I've never gotten it to work and apparently it really emphasizes background noises. I've never found a reason to try it out.
-And there's M4 but you've gotta be speshul to use the beta >: O (haha I'm sure it'll be perfected and let loose upon the public soon...and it's gonna suck in it's own special way just like every other resampler : P)

I recommend you experiment with different resamplers. Fresamp can definitely render nice results, but it isn't always the best option.

As for recording clarity - - I've never recorded a UTAU but I hear green apples are supposed to keep your voice clear while you're recording...not sure if that's one of your issues XD If you have access to one and you don't have one yet, you should also get a pop filter - it's a little screen you put in front of your mic to stop your Ss from sounding hissy (not that I noticed any such thing...it's just good form, I think XD). If you wanna buy a new mike I recommend you look around at reviews. Brand doesn't matter as much as the specific model does.

hotaru7masami7

Momo's Minion
Thanks for all your tips.. :smile: I tried re-recording her and putting a blanket over my head. She now sounds clear to the point I don't need to use Envelope every second.. just a few minor ones.. ^^ I'll try the resamplers. :D
Thanks again!! I really, really appreciate your help

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
hotaru7masami7 link said:
Thanks for all your tips.. :smile: I tried re-recording her and putting a blanket over my head. She now sounds clear to the point I don't need to use Envelope every second.. just a few minor ones.. ^^ I'll try the resamplers. :D
Thanks again!! I really, really appreciate your help

I am ever so pleased that you're not dead

after putting a blanket over your head

wait that only applies to plastic bags

oh well, it must have sucked anyways

yeah~~~~

glad we could help 'w'

hotaru7masami7

Momo's Minion
Well.. every 5 minutes of recording, I try to get some fresh air and record again. ^^ Although.. one question.. how do you install resamplers and get them to work?
I've never tried resamplers since my newly recorded Utau doesn't have any major problems that needs editing every second for the song to sound nice...

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
hotaru7masami7 link said:
Well.. every 5 minutes of recording, I try to get some fresh air and record again. ^^ Although.. one question.. how do you install resamplers and get them to work?
I've never tried resamplers since my newly recorded Utau doesn't have any major problems that needs editing every second for the song to sound nice...
You can find all of the resamplers here in this thread (actually there's a few there I've never tried before! This is exciting : O : O : O)

To use it, you go to project>project properties, the same window you use to change singers. At the bottom of the window you'll see two text-field-things labeled Tool 1 and Tool 2 (or they may be labeled something else if you don't have japanese locale/english patch/or some other silly reason). Click the dotdotdot to the right of the bottom entry, Tool 2. It'll open a new window where you can locate and select your resampler's .exe.

By the way, it is so so so convenient to have all of your resamplers in the same folder. Put the ones you find into the same folder, and drop in a copy of the default resampler (you can find it in Utau's Program Files folder. it'll be called "resampler.exe"). It's not necessary but it makes setup and switching resamplers a hell of a lot less annoying XD

hotaru7masami7

Momo's Minion
Kit Wistful link said:
[quote author=hotaru7masami7 link=topic=1473.msg11311#msg11311 date=1334760772]
You can find all of the resamplers here in this thread (actually there's a few there I've never tried before! This is exciting : O : O : O)

To use it, you go to project>project properties, the same window you use to change singers. At the bottom of the window you'll see two text-field-things labeled Tool 1 and Tool 2 (or they may be labeled something else if you don't have japanese locale/english patch/or some other silly reason). Click the dotdotdot to the right of the bottom entry, Tool 2. It'll open a new window where you can locate and select your resampler's .exe.

By the way, it is so so so convenient to have all of your resamplers in the same folder. Put the ones you find into the same folder, and drop in a copy of the default resampler (you can find it in Utau's Program Files folder. it'll be called "resampler.exe"). It's not necessary but it makes setup and switching resamplers a hell of a lot less annoying XD
[/quote]
Thank you!! :3