Some Nooby Mic Questions

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
So, I recently got a mic and I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly because frankly I've never owned one before and I don't wanna ʞɔnɟ it up. (It's a cad u37 because guess)

Ok so my questions are:

1. Assume that I'm pretty darn loud. About how far from the mic should I be recording?

I tried recording about 6-12 inches away and it was kind of a struggle between me being super quiet to getting recordings that ended up being giant feedbacky blobs of blue-
I tried recording maybe around 2 feet away while also turning the mic to face the wrong way, which I probably shouldn't do. It helped with the volume but also recorded more background noise and sounded less clear so,
Is there something I can do about that besides just being quieter (unless that's the only thing I can do)?

2. Should I be using a certain program to record?

I'm just using an online recording tool (which saves as mp3, which I convert to wav with another cheapy online tool).
I know that audacity is free and I could use that but when recording I use a chromebook, because it's sort of the only computer I have access to that I'm allowed to move to a quiet and secluded recording area. But if the program I use can affect my recording's quality in a significant way, I'll try to move the pc.

I recorded in a closet all by myself stuffed with a lot of clothes, sitting on a pile of laundry if that information helps.

Thank you

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
1. Assuming you're a bit loud and can't change the settings or environment at all. Your best bet would be finding your sweet spot on the microphone. Typically this is found in different positions, angles and distances. For example, my sweet spot is the microphone angled up with the pop filter 1-4 inches away with myself no more than 6-12 inches away and fully standing up while the microphone is slightly lower.

Being quieter doesn't always help at all seeing as the microphone will pick up other sounds. What you need to look into is changing the settings of your microphone by either manually changing it on the microphone or going into your microphone settings in the computer and either lowering the levels or fixing other issues like having programs take control of the microphone

2. Should I be using a certain program to record?
Your best program is using oremo, which comes in english and is very easy to follow. If you're unable to get it, your best bet is to use another program like audacity seeing as it's better than nothing.

Your environment choice is a nice pick Ò v Ó)9, try and limit any other background noises by recording with no other appliances on(and setting up a little further away from your computer because that makes noise as well)

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You should use oremo. Failing that, any recording software/site that allows you to save directly to wav 16bit 44100 (such as audacity) is gonna be your best bet.

As for recording, you want at least 6 inches of distance and you should adjust the mic's volume through your audio settings until you find a good middle ground where...
- you can see the file itself when otoing (not so small you need a magnifying glass, not so big that it goes beyond the white)
- you don't have clipping (if you hear distortion, esp in utau regardless of intensity, then that's a sign of clipping)

The mic should be pointed toward the sound source (ie your voice).

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I should mention that if your microphone has gain adjustment that you should try turning this up if your levels are too low.
If you mic supports a high enough bitdepth/resolution and the evironment is in order, then you can manually amplify these samples later to make them a little bit louder and easier to oto.
kLKvrRG.png

You can technically get away with samples as quiet or as loud as this (the second louder sampler is just the first one amplified). But notice that even though it was recorded at a low level that the sample is still low-noise.
So as long as noise isn't an issue you can often get away with (and it is often preferable for) your recordings being a tad quiet. This can also have the benifit of increased headroom (the amount of volume between the loudest sound and the max volume you can record before clipping).

Pop filters are useful so you don't have to worry as much about you consonants affecting your recordings.

Last edited: