Some problems with my bank

Discussion in 'Q&A and Tech Support' started by LilyoftheValley, Aug 14, 2017.

1. LilyoftheValley

LilyoftheValley Your local flower girl Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    My UTAU Mi Minami's "Normal VCV" has had some problems with her "n"s for awhile now. I commissioned my oto for this bank so I have no idea if it is my recordings or the oto. How do I go about fixing it? The choppy "n"s has been bugging me for forever >.>

An example of the problem: https://clyp.it/msz3qlr2#

Her download: http://minami-voice.weebly.com/download.html

Kiyoteru likes this.
  3. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei / Kuya Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I suspect that it could be the recordings, so I'm currently downloading the voicebank to check them out in more detail.

LilyoftheValley likes this.
  4. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei / Kuya Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 10.27.44 atm.png
    Aha, the problem was just as I suspected. This sample is "n-i-n-e-n-o-n". It was recorded with pauses between each mora, rather than continuously, which contributed to a choppy sound.

5. Haichou

Haichou Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    As far as I can tell, this is due to the recordings. The "n"s were recorded like vocal fries, so there's a pause of sorts in between the vowel and the n. UTAU can't erase that, so that's causing the choppy effect. If you record the strings with "n" with a smooth transition (such as "iiiinnnn" vs "iiii nnnn" if that makes any sense), it won't do that anymore.
    I might have an outdated version of Mi's voicebank (I downloaded it back in April or so), so if you already have recordings like that, use them instead! Sorry if the explanation isn't clear.

6. LilyoftheValley

LilyoftheValley Your local flower girl Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Ah ok thank you! I guess I didn't notice how much I paused in the recording (this was my first VCV) I recorded it around a year ago. I think I'm just going to re-record the entire bank with my new mic to improve the bank as a whole. Thanks for the help!