Strings/phrases you struggle to record?

P

partial

For me, it's any Japanese r at the start of a sample. It always ends up sounding like a d. And similarly, any Japanese r that follows an n sound. Those also end up like d's.

And any vowels in the Arpasing reclist. I have to look at a phoneme chart and use Cz's phonemes to understand. OTL

Neku

Teto's Territory
Vowels.

Every. Single. Time.
Every. Single. Reclist. (Except for CV)

:^) For some reason I can't do them???? I mean I can but I have to rest after them cuz they exhaust me so much.

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
For me, it's any Japanese r at the start of a sample. It always ends up sounding like a d. And similarly, any Japanese r that follows an n sound. Those also end up like d's.

And any vowels in the Arpasing reclist. I have to look at a phoneme chart and use Cz's phonemes to understand. OTL
Japanese R strings. For my new banks, I want to do something different: every r after a, o, u is an l, and every r after e and i is a real japanese r, however I always struggle keeping those apart OTL that can make the string "ららりらるらんら" sound like "lalariraruranda" even tho its supposed to sound "lalariralulanla" for me OTL

P

partial

I should also add, h strings. Those make me run out of breath really, really fast.

Reactions: Nohkara

the-neo-romantic

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Yeah, the "r" strings in japanese are a problem for me too - technically I can do "the japanese r" but somehow they never sound the way I want them to.
Also "p" - I always have to rerecord it's strings a couple of times, even if I'm not as close to the mic - they rarely come out completely clear and unmuffled. Also my "s" is always too strong.

Reactions: partial
P

partial

Yeah, the "r" strings in japanese are a problem for me too - technically I can do "the japanese r" but somehow they never sound the way I want them to.
Also "p" - I always have to rerecord it's strings a couple of times, even if I'm not as close to the mic - they rarely come out completely clear and unmuffled. Also my "s" is always too strong.
The s thing I totally get. Mine come out generally.... Sharp?

WinterdrivE

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
lol, my s's when i speak come out weird and airy/lispy, but I've just learned how to not do that when I sing. (it still slips in there though. I can hear a few s's in KYE's arpasing bank that have my lisp X_X)

P

partial

lol, my s's when i speak come out weird and airy/lispy, but I've just learned how to not do that when I sing. (it still slips in there though. I can hear a few s's in KYE's arpasing bank that have my lisp X_X)
Pretty sure Len also has a lisp and he is the most beautiful thing to bless the earth

Reactions: WinterdrivE

wobinbug

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
all of them

I actually struggle a lot with Cz's English reclists and Arpasing because of my accent, which is fun :annoyed: (I'm all good with Delta's, though, so it's a shame people are less willing to use it, though I understand why :tongue:)

Also, 'th' sounds cause my mouth to make some weird saliva noises, which are really obvious in the recording, so they can take a while xD

Reactions: partial and Nohkara

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
Vowels, spesifically a and e. For some reason after a while they start to lean towards æ ("ae" in arpasing, "{" in x-sampa). I don't really know why it happens.

Another thing I noticed was when I recorded arpasing, was that half the time i didn't know if i was using the right vowel for things like food, so somewhere in my bank I pronounce uw and uh interchangably. But that might be due to it being the first time recording and learning the different alias system.

Theres also the dh/th mess...

Reactions: partial and Nohkara

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I struggle with a lot of them, but the "k" and "g" strings in Japanese are the worst for me. I pronounce them way too sharply, to the point where I've considered giving up and switching to a language where this is normal. When it comes to accents, most people are turned off when they hear that. I've also struggled with "r" sounds lately and they sound like "d"s.

Also, the one time I tried a few VCCV strings, I got my tongue twisted in itself (not literally... I think) and all the vowels got messed up. How wonderful. xD

P

partial

I struggle with a lot of them, but the "k" and "g" strings in Japanese are the worst for me. I pronounce them way too sharply, to the point where I've considered giving up and switching to a language where this is normal. When it comes to accents, most people are turned off when they hear that. I've also struggled with "r" sounds lately and they sound like "d"s.

Also, the one time I tried a few VCCV strings, I got my tongue twisted in itself (not literally... I think) and all the vowels got messed up. How wonderful. xD
It helps to remember capital vowels (A, I, E, O) say what they are!

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
- In English, I still don't know what's different between "uw" and "uh" in Arpasing... I had the similar dilemma with "aa" and "ah" because I have always replaced "ah" with "aa" when I speak/spoken English. Now I know what is "ah" but now IDK what's "uh"//slapped hard

-what is umh difference between [ɛ] and [e] (in IPA), I have no clue

-If I'm not careful and not in focus, my all v/w sounds like Finnish v which is basically a child between English v/w...

- Consonant "ng" drives me insane EVERY.SIGLE.TIME! I have especially problems to make it as ending consonant (in middle like as VCV is fine 'cause Finnish has that sometimes), I need to be careful to not say ending ng as "n" "n+g" "m" "m+g"... ugh

I had to watch Japanese videos "n VS ng (VS m)" for Korean and Chinese (English videos ALWAYS assume that watchers knows how-to-ng, so those never ever explains that). I think that I understand now difference better but I still STILL struggles with it. Before "ban" and "bang" sounded exactly same (I don't have difficulties hearing "m", thanks to Finnish), I think that I can discuss difference better now but not always...

Sorry for long "ng" ranting but it's always teasing me when I try to record English/Chinese/Korean VB.

ayatonic

emo lord
Defender of Defoko
uhhhh seems like all of my japanese banks have a kinda weird accent to them-- i wouldnt say i struggle to record them, but to have no accent-- is kinda hard..... lol

as for english (arpasing)
like all of it
that was painful to record >u>'

Kuku Klock

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I always struggled with the "r"s thats why they come out rolled XD
Arpaising and VCCV are both a struggle inn general because of my speech problem and they only seem to make them known since certain sounds trip me up and I just give up trying to correct them.