The GLaDOS Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlasSynth

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hiya,

I'm looking for anyone who'd like to assist me in making an english utau of GLaDOS from Portal. What I'd need help with specifically is finding the specific samples for each line for the individual folders. I have all her voiced lines here: http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/GLaDOS_voice_lines that i can download an edit in audacity.

But of course, this is an extensive project that'd take a long time even for someone like me with too much free time on their hands.

Disclaimer: When the bank is done and oto'd online those who helped would be able to use it. This way it's not distributed illegally or anything.

If interested just drop me a line and hopefully we can make this a thing. I've already started myself on the CCV folder ^_^

Cupcake

Talk-A-Lot
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Damn, that's an ambitious project you got there but sorry to say that i have no experience out of Japanese voicebanks.
Either way, good luck with the project~

tetodash

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
That sounds really cool but would probably be very hard to make since GLaDOS doesn't speak Japanese

Edit: wait are you making the voice bank in English? I'm confused the person above me mentioned Japanese

AtlasSynth

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
That sounds really cool but would probably be very hard to make since GLaDOS doesn't speak Japanese

Edit: wait are you making the voice bank in English? I'm confused the person above me mentioned Japanese
well actually theres already a GLADOS utau that sings in japanese. im making one in vccv english

AtlasSynth

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
so are people just going to send in one separate line and it'll be a vb with all different voices? duuuuuuuude
what? no. i stated exactly what i needed. i listed the wiki with all her voice lines. id just need helping finding the different samples for each required part of each list (Ex. gle, kle, etc) which is why i use audacity to edit and youre able to download them from the same wiki

MANIAGIRLKITTY

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
what? no. i stated exactly what i needed. i listed the wiki with all her voice lines. id just need helping finding the different samples for each required part of each list (Ex. gle, kle, etc) which is why i use audacity to edit and youre able to download them from the same wiki
yo so where do ya need to message you if youre intrested ?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
UTAU Software Usage Policy

5. Do not import voicebanks from other voice synthesis softwares without permission. This means:

6. You can't make voicebanks out of existing softwares like Vocaloid. Yamaha, as well as the third-party companies that produce Vocaloid voices, forbid this kind of activity.

7. You can't make voicebanks out of voice speech/synthesis softwares unless they give you permission. This includes voicebanks based on Microsoft SAM, and others.

9. Do not record voicebanks of an individual (defined as a nobody, a typical person) without their consent. Even if the individual is dead, it still should not be done.

10. Do not record voicebanks of a popular figure such as (but not limited to) showbiz figures, politicians and other singers, without their consent. It is seen to be a danger to the program's survival, making the program, its author, and those who recorded it highly susceptible to lawsuits and legal action (Examples: Shakira, Megumi Nakajima)

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
GlaDoS voicebank projects are actually quite the common thing to be created and always end the same way. The terms simply don't allow for it. Legalities.

Now if you did all this work yourself and then didn't distribute it at all (not even to your friends) then it would be fine.

AtlasSynth

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
GlaDoS voicebank projects are actually quite the common thing to be created and always end the same way. The terms simply don't allow for it. Legalities.

Now if you did all this work yourself and then didn't distribute it at all (not even to your friends) then it would be fine.
i literally put all this in my initial post. im starting to think no one read it

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It doesn't matter that it will never be distributed publicly over the internet. You'll still be using it in public spaces and it's still a voice that's provided by a third party - a commercialized entity that is under copyright by a company - who you don't have permission from (if you do have permission from Valve and the voice actress who did GLaDOS to make an UTAU voice, then you'll have to provide proof that can be confirmed). If you're only using it for your own private use, then... frankly I don't see the point of going through so much trouble when legally created English voices already exist that you can use freely without worry of Cease and Desist order. UTAU Usage Policy clearly states that using a voice that isn't yours without permission - especially one that is well known - puts the software and its developer at risk for legal trouble. If you want this to happen that badly...

Contact the developers of Portal and the voice provider for GLaDOS. Get permission. If they ask for a license fee, pay it. Otherwise, give up the notion of this. Just because UTAU isn't even a blip on the radar of the everyday public doesn't give us the right to skirt the law under the pretense/idea that 'no one gets caught.'

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
As everyone has pointed out here, this is against the UTAU ToS and thereby discussing it here is also against the forum ToS. If you do acquire proper permissions, you may contact me and have this thread reopened, but otherwise, this discussion ends here.

Status
Not open for further replies.