The UTAU Mary-Sue Litmus Test

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I was browsing through the old UF to see what topics should be brought over. I thought this might be useful for people designing their UTAU.

It's getting pretty aggravating to run UTAU through Mary-Sue litmus tests, since there are a lot of things you need to disregard (it's okay to have a somewhat flamboyant name, it's perfectly fine to base it off yourself, etc.). So as a member of the Anti-Cliché and Mary-Sue Elimination Society, I devised this.

Keep in mind that this is not solid. There is always the chance you did a really great job and you get a horrible score, or the other way around. This is only meant to give a general review.

By the way, I really tried to be strict in the questions but lenient in the scoring to make up for it - so I prolly did a horrible, horrible job...

This test only applies to the UTAU's official profile. So fandom making Teto a chimera or such does not apply.

You do not need to mark boxes that apply to crack or stuff you joke about.

Add up the scores in the parentheses.

1. Is your UTAU in love with a Vocaloid or VIPPER? (1)
1a. Is your UTAU currently dating said Vocaloid or VIPPER in a two-sided relationship? (3)
1b. Is your UTAU actually related to a Vocaloid or VIPPER? (5)
1c. Is your UTAU best friends or significantly good friends with a Vocaloid or VIPPER? (3)
1d. ...or hates another Vocaloid/VIPPER for reasons of \"rivalry\", or for no good reason? (3)

(Note: If you have answered yes to two of questions 1-1d, you have automatically failed this test.)

2. Does your UTAU’s name contain any words that any Japanese fangirl would know without even having taken Japanese I? (This is highly subjective, but use your head.) (2)
2a. Is your UTAU related to anyone that does? (1)

3. Have you decided your UTAU would be “friends” or something of the sort with another UTAU without any discussion about it with the other UTAU’s creator? (1)

4. Does your UTAU have an extensive backstory that is considered “tragic”? (1)

5. Does your UTAU easily befriend every other (or very close to every other) UTAU? (1)

6. Is your UTAU supposedly able to speak any language that is not covered in the phoeneme files? (Unless this language is nearly impossible to replicate via phoenemes, or unless you're planning for him/her to support it.) (1)

7. Do you specifically describe your UTAU as beautiful/handsome/sexy (except in instances of crack)? (1)

8. Is your UTAU’s design pretty much a recolor of an existing Vocaloid’s? (3)

9. Is your UTAU yandere and still liked by many friends for it? (1)

10. Does your UTAU have a power or ability that would not make sense for anyone of her stature/species to have? (2)
10b. Does your UTAU have a mystical power or ability that contributes absolutely nothing to his profile or appearance? Or, does he/she have a mystical power or ability that he/she never ends up using/needs to use? (2)

11. Is your UTAU described as having a beautiful or exceptional voice? (1)

12. Does your UTAU have a severely conflicting personality? As in, one part of the profile he/she’s touchy about other people that he/she doesn’t trust but another part he/she’s kind and catering to everyone? (1)

13. If your UTAU has a profile longer than a few sentences, does your UTAU completely lack any negative traits? (2)

14. If your UTAU is overseas, does your UTAU use gratuitous Japanese? Verbal tics that count as sentence extensions or random syllables do not count, but stuff like \"desu\" most certainly does. (2)

15. Is your UTAU said to have many people looking up to him/her or depending on him/her? (3)

16. Is your UTAU’s name a derivative of an existing Vocaloid’s name? (3)
16a. Is your UTAU intended to have the same appearance as/look similar to a Vocaloid? (3)

17. Is your UTAU specifically named (in whole or part) after an anime/manga character you like? (2)

18. Is your UTAU’s name completely non-viable in Japanese as a name (as in it’s made from Japanese words and was not considered as a surname/given name) if the character is intended to be Japanese? (-ne names are exempt.) (1)
18a. Is said name composed of two or more Japanese words (words, not kanji components) strung together without anything to smoothly iron them together? (Like, say, Yakusokukokoro.) (1)
18c. Is your UTAU named after a short phrase rather than a name? (Like naming your UTAU Aishiteru. If it's intended to be a pun, disregard the question.) (1)

19. Does your UTAU have improper romanization that does not have a specific reason? (1)

20. Is your UTAU a tsundere but doesn’t actually turn people off with the tsun? (1)
20a. Is your UTAU said to be a tsundere but never actually does act tsun to people? (1)

21. Does your UTAU’s profile provide nothing significant than being generally friendly/cheerful to people, with maybe one or two things thrown in about not liking bad people? (Note: If you add ONE little oddity in, like a habit/quirk or such, this question does not apply.) (1)

22. Is your UTAU explicitly said to be liked or loved by other people? (2)

23. Is your UTAU said to be skilled in a large variety of things most people wouldn’t be able to do at once? (Unless your UTAU is something along the lines of an android specifically meant for this.) (2)

24. Is your UTAU a long-lost (insert something here)? (1)

Final scoring:
1-5: Go ahead and run with it!
5-10: May want to tone one or two things down a bit, but otherwise you’re gold.
10-20: A bit uneasy. You’ll probably want to rethink some stuff, but it’s very easy to fix with some reworking.
20-40: You’re definitely pushing away the bounds of reality and a lot of people will see it with some skepticism. Take some time and rethink.
40-64: Absolutely nobody’s going to take this seriously.

Pianodream

Teto's Territory
Ciel scored 4.
His/Her only Maru-Sue points were obtained by "the tragic backstory", "the exceptional voice" and "the special ability/power which doesn't make any sens for someone from his species to have"
XD

Dagnie

Teto's Territory
Zerooooo.
An albino with a half-shaven head hasn't enough normal personality for such things LOLOL. ;u; <3

Pijon on the other hand... >u>
I'll mark yes for EVERYTHIIIING for him.

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Derp, didn't put my scores. Mimi got a 0 and Souta got a 0-1, but only because I don't know if he has a viable last name.

Dagnie

Teto's Territory
moonst4r link said:
Derp, didn't put my scores. Mimi got a 0 and Souta got a 0-1, but only because I don't know if he has a viable last name.
Oh man, last names... I'm terrible with last names.
Donny's last name, Nazwisko, literally means 'last name' in Polish.

DianaTan

Teto's Territory
Dagnie link said:

POLISH NAMES ARE BEAUTIFUL, THEY SOUND SO WUNDERFUL ;w; (herpaderp Polish girl here orz)
Dia got 1, Risu I think 2 orz

Dagnie

Teto's Territory
DianaTan link said:
[quote author=Dagnie link=topic=207.msg1089#msg1089 date=1328214900]

POLISH NAMES ARE BEAUTIFUL, THEY SOUND SO WUNDERFUL ;w; (herpaderp Polish girl here orz)
Dia got 1, Risu I think 2 orz
[/quote]YES, POLISH NAMES SO PRETTY. <3

Aline

Teto's Territory
Under all the circumstances and in her current state, Aline got a solid... 0.

If it was the initial circumstances, she'd get so many points, people would laugh at her. She was initially intended as a parody, anyways, but she grew on me and I started to feel attached. So, I asked for help to mold her personality and backstory into something more decent while not changing herself too much.

I still am not satisfied, though. Maybe it's only because of her voice, but yet...

adriann

Ye Olde Fart
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Daatura got a 23 and Raaphaello got a 3 lol
Because they both have 'tragic' back stories and conflicting personalities...?? And Raalph is supposed to be handsome, in like, an exotic kind of way.
So is Daat, but she's supposed to be that kind of character that appeals to certain people, like she's actually supposed to be ugly in a way that particular people may find her beautiful? Not a conventional beauty... okaythatisthesameasraalphgoodgoguhhh

Yo, question 12 (Does your UTAU have a severely conflicting personality? As in, one part of the profile he/she’s touchy about other people that he/she doesn’t trust but another part he/she’s kind and catering to everyone?), this makes a character round/dynamic... though flat characters are fun, too, but... does that legit mean that a character cannot be like, for example, shy with strangers but super ghetto fab with friends? Or detached for certain things and very obsessive for others? O:

UtauYork

Teto's Territory

Good job, L'Aquila. B| I'm almost positive that VEGAS and York would have around that much too. Maybe York would get 1 or 2. I'm just too lazy at the moment to check for them. =n=

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Taiyo got about a 2 here.
Though, if I had taken this when she was first released, she'd probably get a lot xD

I'm glad she's not that bad though ovo

My other UTAU Yoru got a 0 =u= Yay :D //slapped