(This may have been answered before but)... do romaji .ust's exist?

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Also sorry for the long title lel
It's just that I've never set my locale to japanese and I never intend to because even though the lyrics won't look gibberish, I still won't be able to understand it. (and I don't wanna learn japanese yet cuz i'm lazy lol)

Sooo I was hoping there's some super secret romaji .ust directory somewhere because searching for them is hard af

Or maybe some hiragana to romaji plugin that works for me cuz the first one i dl'ed didn't work but that's probably connected with my locale not being japanese

If I can't find any solutions then I'll just stick with my inputing every lyrics into romaji method (but it's kinda tiring lel)

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
Actually, they do! It's just that since the UTAU community is used to "Use Japanese locale! It's compulsory!" we frequently use Hiragana .usts. (maybe a noob misunderstood this and his false philosiphy became the norm? idk)
Besides, how else are we gonna tighten our ties with the Japanese side of the community? :D (romaji aliases exist for a reason too)
(Usually only popular songs have romaji .usts as far as I can tell, though. lel)

EDIT: It's actually because the earliest UTAU voicebanks didn't have romaji aliases and western users (who don't read hiragana) knew they had to alias the voicebanks themselves if they were to ever use a romaji .ust. (I just realised lmao)

Last edited:
Reactions: Miawerz

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
There exits hiragana => romaji UST plug-in. If I remember right, "iroiro plug-in" can do that +other things. (I'm not expert with plug-ins or PC UTAU...)

For what I know that Nukude (creator of Nukupoid) usually releases VCV/hiragana/romaji version of his USTs. For now I can't remember other UST makers that makes romaji USTs... ^^; I will let you know if I remember!!

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Actually, they do!
the thing is they're soooo hard to find :'( lol (the closest thing I've got is a romaji .ust section in a deviantart utau group and the songs that I've been looking for is not there, I think, or I haven't browsed enough)

Then I got hope with the hiragana to romaji .ust converter, but it still didn't work, but I'm still hopeful a hiragana2romaji plugin that doesn't require setting locale to japanese exists (if the reason it won't work really is that)

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You're really limiting yourself by not having your locale set to Japanese. 9 times out of 10, UST creators these days are using VCV banks for Japanese songs and their CV equivalents (if they're packaged in the rar) will be in Hiragana. The few USTs that are in romaji will usually be old songs that have been covered a million times over (World is Mine, Melt, Meltdown, Romeo and Cinderella, songs that no one really covers anymore unless it's for parody). Your best bet is to use the iroiro plugin for conversion to both CV and romaji (though, because your machine can't read Japanese, you won't be able to change the romanization dictionary [some strange choices were made and aren't needed]). Japanese is pretty easy to learn - heck, you don't even have to properly learn how to read both hiragana and katakana; input is done by typing the name of the character via romaji when you change your keyboard to Japanese input so 'ga' = が. Plus, over time you'll start memorizing what each character is because you'll hear it a lot when you go through USTs.

"Use Japanese locale! It's compulsory!"

It is compulsory. Not because of weebs trying to spread 'Nihongo Maasuta reisu!' but because the program is written on a Japanese machine and therefore has the very real possibility of errors that you don't get when you run UTAU in an environment where its native language is readable.

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
the thing is they're soooo hard to find :'( lol (the closest thing I've got is a romaji .ust section in a deviantart utau group and the songs that I've been looking for is not there, I think, or I haven't browsed enough)

Then I got hope with the hiragana to romaji .ust converter, but it still didn't work, but I'm still hopeful a hiragana2romaji plugin that doesn't require setting locale to japanese exists (if the reason it won't work really is that)
oh ur talking about something else sorry
As @Pupuomena said, nukude has .usts in romaji. I've seen others lying around the Internet, you just need to try hard.
A converter should work, given that the internal process' mojibake (which it should be in mojibake in your case, unless...) is the same as the voicebank's and .ust's mojibake (different versions of an OS would give out different mojibakes? I'm not good at computers, really). If not, sorry to say, but your hands might need to suffer a bit (I had an XP and I lost its installation file, I know how that feels)

Last edited:

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
@수연 <Suyeon> Welp I just feel more secure when I can read what it says like when opening a .ust and seeing japanese I could get overwhelmed like 0_0 and I could get lost while tuning and such (but really it's just a personal preference)

I could try setting up my locale to japanese when I get a new laptop *hopefully* this december(and use the old one mainly for utau lol)

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The latest version of UTAU (0.4.18e) has a built-in English translation. Once you switch to Japanese Locale and reinstall everything, UTAU will run correctly, but to switch it back to English you need to go to (T) > (O) > First tab > Second sub-tab > Last checkbox > and select "en" in the dropdown menu.