Tips on mixing duets?

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I'm having some trouble in making sure that the vocals don't try to compete with one another in trying to sound the loudest in the mix.

Adjusting the Volume through Automation still doesn't seem to give the vocals a pleasant blend and makes them still seem like they're trying to compete with each other.

Here are the recent duets I mixed:

I use FL Studio if that helps. I also thought of using Stereo Separation but I didn't want the other vocal to sound like a harmony but rather like it's singing along with the other.

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
The vocals sound okay to me, but perhaps you can split the verses, choruses and so on (since sometimes they include it all in the same audio clip) and mix them separately if you haven't already. Perhaps some panning might do you good if the vocals occupy a similar tonal range.

Your problem might be since you're really pushing your master, they're just getting drown out by all the noise. I'd highly recommend turning down your master compression and "letting it breathe", because despite brickwall mixing being a staple of Japanese music (and, inherently, most vocaloid music) a little dynamics can, when well executed, go a long way.

I also think I have a mixing flp of the second song (can't think of the name right now), although it was done so long ago that it's probably no better than what you've got. I'd be happy to help if you're interested.

Reactions: kimchi-tan