tn_fnds new UTAU engine

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
Today Zteer (the creator of bkh01 and advanced pitch editor) released one more UTAU engine. This one is based on EFB-GW, but differently from it, it WORKS (at least, worked for me, I'll develop this part a bit below there).

It can be downloaded on this site (along with some other projects made by Zteer): http://z-server.game.coocan.jp/utau/utautop.html

So, time for the review:
I think this engine sounds quite unique so far, and renders relatively fast for me. It seems that it doesn't make any special frequency file, simply using the already rendered .frq files from the VB.

Although not sounding very close to TIPS, it behaves a bit similar in the matter of range. In the cases I tested, it made the voice reach C1 with no problems (it was a male voice, recorded in C3); and makes higher notes sound a bit breathy. This breathiness limits the upper range, though. The same voicebank I tested only sounded well up to C5, beyond that, he sounded too breathy.

tn_fnds doesn't accept ANY flags, not even breath control. But accepts acpt use. Formant filter can't be turned off either. This is a bit of a drawback, cause you can only work with the raw voice.

But, for the other side, it makes longer notes in a way that none of the previous resamplers did. It loops a period, instead of literally stretching the sample. The good point is that this reduces the metallicness on the voice A LOT, BUT, voicebanks with short samples will sound bad with it (Defoko is doomed on this resampler).

I found a small bug, but nothing that would make it impossible to work, and is related to my English VB only. But so far, it works pretty good.

Now, the point of it working... A friend of mine downloaded it, but couldn't use. I don't know exactly the reason. But I THINK it was because he doesn't have Japanese locale, so I'd like to warn people that there is some chance it will not work. And also, probably like the previous resamplers, it may work better with some voices, and others, not-so-well.

It also requires downloading a bunch of fftw dlls, the link is included on the topic of the engine itself, on the download link provided.

tn_fnds works exclusively with mono samples. If a sample is stereo, it will give a error message, and produce no sound. Also, as default for UTAU, it is also recommended to use samples with 16 bit for bitrate, and 44100 Hz for samplerate.

Here is the test I made with it:
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/tady159/migihidari-dashi[/soundcloud]

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
D: I was looking forward to using this new resampler, but me trying to download & use it reinforces tady's assumption that you need Japanese locale to work. I mean, it could just be coincidence, but it doesn't work for me.

baye

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I love this new engine! It's working wonders with my new male UTAUloid! Thanks, Tady! :smile:

Nikiten

Momo's Minion
Found a readme and translated with google:

■ How to use
Operation is required dll of fftw.
Linked below "32-bit version: fftw-3.3-dll32.zip (1.8M:shades:" down (as of 2012/2/19)
Please unpack in the same folder as the libfftw3-3.dll tn_fnds.exe load, that is contained in.
http://www.fftw.org/install/windows.html

We might need this.

Nikiten

Momo's Minion
I was right. So just dl from the above link and copy libfftw3-3.dll to the folder with the exe. It now works yay!

brella

Momo's Minion
Working for the most part for me, except some notes become off pitch.
mod is 0, I've cleared the caches, re-rendered the frqs, yet some notes wont change pitch no matter where I drag. Strange.

(Tested with VCV; maybe that is a factor, I'll have to see.)

Other than that, I'm very impressed on how it handles the longer notes like bkh01.exe, it's even better than the latter because it doesn't make the consonants all disgusting.

Yes, you need to DL 32 ver. of http://www.fftw.org/install/windows.html and drag the THREE DLs into the same folder as the resampler to work.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
omegaflash4 link said:
I have a japanese locale and this doesn't work for me sadly

This. It doesn't work for me either...I tried it on Macne Nana and Iris and all it does is...nothing. The notes don't play.

Nikiten

Momo's Minion
IrisFlower link said:
[quote author=omegaflash4 link=topic=568.msg3108#msg3108 date=1329625352]

This. It doesn't work for me either...I tried it on Macne Nana and Iris and all it does is...nothing. The notes don't play.
[/quote]

Have you tried downloading the dll like I mentioned above? :3

Iscabird

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I've tried tn_fnds (I call it ten funds to help remember xD) with my myriad of UTAUs, but all of them have this... jumpy(?) tone in some notes. And Lock -Dark- just straight up dies on most of his samples (think of his TIPS laryngitis, only it turns up more and sounds less severe).

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
Oh yes, sorry guys... I had forgotten to mention that you need to download the .dlls. Although it worked for me even without them, and didn't work for my friend even WITH them... But I recommend downloading the dlls, according to your system bit rate.

Asteriski

Teto's Territory
The latest version works so much better. My UTAU no longer sound like they're dying, but they do sound a bit too low... maybe it could be fixed with flag support.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Nikiten link said:
[quote author=IrisFlower link=topic=568.msg3118#msg3118 date=1329628273]
[quote author=omegaflash4 link=topic=568.msg3108#msg3108 date=1329625352]

[/quote]

Have you tried downloading the dll like I mentioned above? :3
[/quote]

Yes I downloaded them and put them in the same folder and everything. I tried it with Teto, Ruko, and Sasayaki who are all hiragana only banks and it doesn't work sooo...yeah. Oh well~

James

Momo's Minion
Hmmm... I have mixed feelings.

I tested this with my soft CV UTAUloid, and for some reason she sounds like as if she has a cold. With and without flags.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/useless-tan/test-with-flags[/soundcloud]

edit: I just tested some breaths, and I must say, they sound pretty good!

Also, I have a Japanese locale and it works for me, are you guys sure you're doing it right?

omegaflash4

Teto's Territory
I haven't had a chance to check with the .dll in the folder yet I will though my comp is updating now so I don't know when T-T