To be honest, it's confusing.

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by Lorreine Geralde, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Lorreine Geralde

Lorreine Geralde lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    In the past, when I was reading a few articles about UTAU, if there is something clueless to me, it's this:

Yamaha does not support or endorse the UTAU software.

Yes, UTAU is created Ameya/Ayame, an indie software programmer. Every voice recording technique is developed by most indie users.

However, this makes me thinking about something - was Yamaha frowned and unpleasant over the development of UTAU software back then?

Seeing its potential as legal alternative to pirated Vocaloid, I feel this could be another mystery to every UTAU user who can't purchase Vocaloid due to constant financial issue.

And this includes myself, the one who still cannot buy Vocaloid but really wishes to get trial version of VY1, and the latest VOCALOID5 Ken and Kaori.

6_Jpop CDJapan
  3. Awaclus

Awaclus Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    Well, of course it's unpleasant when you're trying to sell a software and someone else makes a similar software that people can download for free & legally. There's absolutely nothing they can do about it though, other than trying to ensure that their software is so much better that people will still pay for it.

Lorreine Geralde likes this.
  4. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    You're completely misreading the intent of the statement. Yamaha is saying that they do not provide customer service to those who are using UTAU, such as assisting with installation or shareware activation. This means absolutely nothing about how they feel about UTAU as a competitor.

5. tetodash

tetodash Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Is it really even a competitor? I mean plenty of people who use Utau also use Vocaloid.

6. Row 4 Project Official

Row 4 Project Official Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I for one use them almost interchangeably. I use Vocaloid to create VSQxs and then import them into Utau. I wouldn't be able to create USTs without Vocaloid. Even though I use it as a "stepping stone" for UTAU I still create covers within the Vocaloid software and such. I agree with Kiyoteru with the intent of the statement though lol. If you look at the Project Diva games (although it technically has nothing to do with YAMAHA) one of the most popular UTAU characters is present, even if she lacks a voice she's still a part of the game lol.

Lorreine Geralde likes this.
  7. Lorreine Geralde

Lorreine Geralde lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Phew, glad to hear such response. It simply means that UTAU users simply need to ask for other users' help in case something happens while using the software.

At least Yamaha never post any statement or tweets to boycott the development of UTAU, or something else like - but still, I wonder if they encourage those who cannot purchase Vocaloid to use UTAU instead of pirated Vocaloid.

So far, Crypton is the one who encourages the usage of UTAU as legal alternative to pirated Vocaloid.