Tuning tips?

ShokoraOto

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'd love some tips and constructive critique on my tuning style, I'm really trying to improve a bit.

unknownLinguist

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So I think your tuning sounds pretty smooth, so I'll just recommend one or two things that might help ya.
For one thing, I like to mess with the pitch bends sometimes, and a great plugin for that is pitch tracer(i think that's it's name),
Screenshot (6).png
That's approximately how I would normally change the pitch bends, it's not to fancy..
Also, since this plugin makes it really easy to just draw on s bends, I use it instead of the portamento that utau automatically applies? I think it sounds better when there's a bit of natural variance in the pitch connections.
Also, like, there's no real rules for tuning, so I recommend to just mess around with settings and flags until you find cool effects.
Screenshot (8).png
And then you can hit OPT when you're happy with all your other settings.. This changes STP, which HECK i dunno how to mess with that manually.
Another thing: If your utau is singing a bunch of very short notes and the consonants are getting slurred, that is a good time to increase the consonant velocity(in region property). The way I heard it is if you're using VCV and the tempo is 150 bpm but you recorded in 100 bpm, then you set the consonant velocity to 150, so the singer is on time.

I think the most important trick is the pitch editing. It sounds really special when you tailor the pitch bends to your utau.

OHHH and one more thing although some people don't like messing with it...
Modulation basically like controls how much the sample is changed to fit the pitch?(idk how to explain it), so when you don't have it set to 0, sometimes it sounds like two pitches are being sung at once, espec if there are a lot of notes overlapping.. HOWEVER!!! It can sometimes sound really good if you set notes to around 30 Modulation, and then just set the ones that sound weird to 0 after that.
This is time consuming, so you might not want to though.

Also have you tried using moresampler?? It's a really good resampler, and I really like the flags it has...

ShokoraOto

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
So I think your tuning sounds pretty smooth, so I'll just recommend one or two things that might help ya.
For one thing, I like to mess with the pitch bends sometimes, and a great plugin for that is pitch tracer(i think that's it's name),
View attachment 2634
That's approximately how I would normally change the pitch bends, it's not to fancy..
Also, since this plugin makes it really easy to just draw on s bends, I use it instead of the portamento that utau automatically applies? I think it sounds better when there's a bit of natural variance in the pitch connections.
Also, like, there's no real rules for tuning, so I recommend to just mess around with settings and flags until you find cool effects.
View attachment 2635
And then you can hit OPT when you're happy with all your other settings.. This changes STP, which HECK i dunno how to mess with that manually.
Another thing: If your utau is singing a bunch of very short notes and the consonants are getting slurred, that is a good time to increase the consonant velocity(in region property). The way I heard it is if you're using VCV and the tempo is 150 bpm but you recorded in 100 bpm, then you set the consonant velocity to 150, so the singer is on time.

I think the most important trick is the pitch editing. It sounds really special when you tailor the pitch bends to your utau.

OHHH and one more thing although some people don't like messing with it...
Modulation basically like controls how much the sample is changed to fit the pitch?(idk how to explain it), so when you don't have it set to 0, sometimes it sounds like two pitches are being sung at once, espec if there are a lot of notes overlapping.. HOWEVER!!! It can sometimes sound really good if you set notes to around 30 Modulation, and then just set the ones that sound weird to 0 after that.
This is time consuming, so you might not want to though.

Also have you tried using moresampler?? It's a really good resampler, and I really like the flags it has...

oh my god thank you so much for explaining modulation to me??? i've been so stuck on what exactly that does omg thank you thank you

also, i've tried...moresampler but i've had some issues getting it to work (i have UTAU on PC , if that makes a difference ;;:wink:

thank you so much for all the helpful info!!

unknownLinguist

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
oh my god thank you so much for explaining modulation to me??? i've been so stuck on what exactly that does omg thank you thank you

also, i've tried...moresampler but i've had some issues getting it to work (i have UTAU on PC , if that makes a difference ;;:wink:

thank you so much for all the helpful info!!

np:sing:

Yeah so basically if you wanna try using Modulation to improve your tuning, I suggest you set modulation to 0 when you start editing, (even if a ust comes with it edited, since modulation could work differently for every UTAU, due to how monotone the samples are) And then do you other tuning, then come back for modulation tweaking at the end, it'll be easier at the end i think.
BTW, if you ever wanna record a 'loid that sounds good with high modulation, the trick is to record your samples in a VERY monotone voice. The more monotone, the better modulation works. That's why so many people set it to 0, because often times banks include slightly off pitch samples.

Now that I think of it, when using multipitch utau, you may run into another problem with modulation. When modulating a note which overlaps with a note from a higher or lower pitch bank, the modulation will make the pitch sound off. You can still use modulation with multipitch banks, but you can't overlap modulation between notes of different banks(i think). I think you could either just not modulate notes that are overlapping like this
OR
you could set a note that is overlapping to /manually/ use the same bank as the first, by typing the suffix into the note.
Probably the latter is kind of overkill, but maybe if you REALLY wanna shoot for realism you could.

Reactions: ShokoraOto