Using the Internet Wayback Machine to find Old Threads

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
OK, so in an introduction thread, someone was asking for an UTAU-Synth English patch.

I remember getting an English patch from a thread on this forum, and I knew that it was probably gone.

But then I had the idea of using the Internet Wayback machine that I had found out about a while back.

So, before I give a link to the Wayback Machine, I will just explain what it is real quick-

Basically, someone can go to the website of the Wayback Machine and just save a copy of the website there, just by entering the web address.

So, if someone needs to look at it later (like we do now) it will be saved exactly as it was on the day and time that the person saved it.

It's basically an archive, except you can use said website just as you would have been able to on that day that it was saved.

And now, I will drop a few links here for the Wayback Machine-

Wayback Machine Homepage

UTAForum January 6th

UTAForum February 15th

QUICK THING TO NOTE: I have NOT attempted using the Wayback Machine version of the site to actually log in, I have only used it for browsing. If someone tries to log in, please let us know if it works or not! If it does, this could be extremely useful!

Also, the search function does not work. One thing I suggest is, if you remember what the thread you are looking for was about, search it on Google, and under the page title Google gives a path, which shows which categories the thread was in, which might help you know where to look for things!

Hoping that this will be of use to people who need to get to resources and such!

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Oh, that's weird. The only thread I tried was the UTAU-Synth English Translation project, but I guess I can play around with it a bit more.

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It might be something on my end, because even that thread didn't work for me. Thanks for sharing either way! I can use it to copy the thread URL and look up the Google cache. :D

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
RE:

Umbreon126 said:
The Wayback Machine will definitely not let you log in, it takes a copy of what it sees and saves it; it does not make a copy of the server software managing UTAforum :wink:

Correct, I attempted logging in and it just sort of redirected me back to the main page.

teifuani said:
It might be something on my end, because even that thread didn't work for me. Thanks for sharing either way! I can use it to copy the thread URL and look up the Google cache. :D

Welcome~ Just trying to find something useful we can use while the forum is being repaired~