UTACensus: UTAULOIDS made with Blue Snowball

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
As the title say, I am looking for some voicebanks that may have been recorded with the help of a Blue Snowball Microphone. So far I know of:

• Cavatina Aria
  • Sonone Linako
  • Kusane Fuki
  • Lilrow
  • Cafe Fonico Ver 2.0 + LOUD Append
  • Catherine
  • Ryszard Aniol
  • Rouge
  • Vert
  • Bleu
  • Cafe
  • Violette
  • -

EDIT: Updated to 08/05/2012

If any more can be shared for me to know I would really appreciate the help. :D

I will add more as people provide me info. This is with the goal that, people with short money could check the results of recording with this USB-Studio mic that has a price around $65 to $99.

And remember, the quality can always be boosted with a nice mixing! 8DD!

baye

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Do you mean Blue Yeti Snowball Microphone? Or something else?
On another note, I have a few but they haven't been released yet.

Asteriski

Teto's Territory
@Fuko: Yeti is a different model. Snowball is the cheaper and more common one, but they're both made by Blue.

All of my upcoming banks will be on the Snowball. (That's CALLiOPE, Felicie, Azure v3+Alters+VCV, Crimson v3+who knows what, and perhaps one from my father.)

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Oh my goooosh Yue you just made a thread I've been thinking about for a while. yesss
I'm guessing this will be for seeing what the quality actually is. I'd like to as well to see if I really should shell out over $100 for a Yeti. which i'd rather not so blue snowball is hopefully good.

I'll just be stalking tis thread since I don't know of any.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
shinami link said:
Oh my goooosh Yue you just made a thread I've been thinking about for a while. yesss
I'm guessing this will be for seeing what the quality actually is. I'd like to as well to see if I really should shell out over $100 for a Yeti. which i'd rather not so blue snowball is hopefully good.

I'll just be stalking tis thread since I don't know of any.

I did this mainly for this reason; so we can have and idea of the mic quality. Obviously Yeti is the best mic of Blue, but if people listen to these banks and think the quality is good enough for them, then this thread will be helpful.

Also, if my memory is right... Blue has a store inside amazon, and they sell snowballs for US$65 or there are some nice combos with popfilter and headphones for US$99

Asteriski link said:
All of my upcoming banks will be on the Snowball. (That's CALLiOPE, Felicie, Azure v3+Alters+VCV, Crimson v3+who knows what, and perhaps one from my father.)

Please, tell us when the VB's have some demos/videos to make a comparison.

___

I will be probably linking to videos the so called UTAULOIDs made with blue snowball, so they can be known by this feature.

glaciachan

Teto's Territory
Cafe Fonico's 2.0 and Loud Append banks are both recorded with a Snowball mic, as well as Catherine. Also, CACTLOID's currently WIP VCV.

px

Momo's Minion
Sanoh Chuenchai's VCV bank and her upcoming CV bank was recorded recorded using a Snowball mic. o u o

And my upcoming banks are gonna be recorded using it as well. :D

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I have a Blue Snowball myself and I too can attest it is a great mic for its price.

When people upgrade to a Yeti sometimes they hawk their Snowballs off for cheap. I know I got one from $25 off Craigslist (which is a steal) when someone made his upgrade.

I have no problem buying up mics that cheap even if I already owned one. Ended up gifting it to a friend who was an aspiring podcaster. Its a very good all-around mic.

Myon

Momo's Minion
The main thing that gets me is Snowball's condenser could probably be better. It isn't exactly the greatest at capturing the bass and lower undertones in a person's voice. So it isn't exactly as rich, I guess, that's what I kind of want to say.

Using the 'normalize' option while editing in a program like Ableton Live will make the voice louder though.

But for its value and the price I purchased it at. It's a dandy keen microphone.

candymarbles

Teto's Territory
*random passerby* I recorded Geode's ACT3 on a blue snowball. c: She definitely came out better than the ACT2, but that might've just been because I wasn't being a dummy when I recorded oxo
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/daisy-ditizio/utau-geode-headphone-actor[/soundcloud]

And here's a thread that talks about the snowball a little, as well as other microphones. This is for singing, though, not UTAU. Not like it won't help, though: http://ytchorus.forumotion.com/t3798-getting-a-mic
One person said that it makes you sound "hollow", but I'm not sure what that means...

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Remember its not just the mic you use but how you use it. The Blue Snowball has both a Cartoid and Omni capsule and the Cartoid one has two settings. Make sure you are using the proper mode, if you are 'hollow' sounding it might be because the capsule or mode you are using. Remember the cartoid patterns are very directional and have a 'sweet spot' for optimal recording. Consult the manual, it should have a diagram of the different pickup patterns.

Also it might be good to invest in a 'gooseneck' style mic stand for it. The one that comes with it is for desktops and is kinda hard to position and angle. Also I would recommend using a laptop or long cable so you can recording standing up. Place the mic on a shelf or ledge so it is elevated to head level, really get in close and  eat the mic. Use a pop filter is possible cause when you use this technique you will be really 'plosive.

While your samples can only ever be as good as the mic you use, when you get to Snowball/Yeti territory your recording technique and enviroment matter a lot more. Try to make the most of whatever you have.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

asparagus

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
All of my banks are recorded on my snowball.

It works pretty well I find, but it can be really sensitive and you have to make sure you're got it set up right and aren't recording too close/ too far away. I also have to try to minimize outside noise and such so I usually have to wait until I'm home alone to record (If you forget to switch the settings it'll pick up background noise like televisions and stuff).

But from what I've found the recordings are generally pretty nice and clear.