UtaForum 4.0: Readying to Leave Beta™

For those of you keeping track in the XenForo Transition Thread we have gone through some MASSIVE changes this past long weekend. The Kickstarter funds finally cleared and we have been implementing a lot of new features. As they were all added without much fanfare I will be going over them in some detail.

New Plug-ins Added

Resource Manager
This plug-in lets us manage various 'resources' including Voicebank Downloads, Tutorials, USTs, Reclists, MIDIs, and more. The plugin adds a neat way to organize content by adding version tracking, article ratings, version tracking, article "watching", and automatic discussions threads. I look forward to seeing what kind of content you submit soon. Do something good and I will "feature" it on the front page!

Showcase
Probably the single most anticipated feature of our XenForo transition. Much like the Wikidot and my attempt at UTAU.me earlier we finally have a formal UTAU profile system. Our previous attempt, now archived, was clunky, no one read the sticky and followed the proper template and was very time consuming as every submission was time consuming because we kept having to explain why peoples submissions were being rejected when they didn't follow the subforum's rules.

Beyond having a forced template with a lot of required fields the new Showcase system has tags, a review system (don't even think of abusing it), and when version 2.2.0 of the add-on deploys (currently in RC1 beta phase) it will have an extremely useful filterable search. Also, if you haven't noticed it will also display UTAU and the related Voicebank Download Resources right in your profile!

Social Share
Improved social media integration for Facebook and Twitter. This isn't some simple "share this" button but automatic (if you want it) sharing when you post status updates, create a thread, or reply. Not only does it integrate with XenForo's core functionality but both of our other add-ons as well. You can easily share when you create an UTAU profile, post a resource, or update that voicebank download.

There were other "social" plugins for XenForo but was the best because it is one is the only one that also worked with all our other plugins as well. Did I mention it inteigrates really well with the @UTAForum official Twitter? Our old bot was powered by RSS & Feedburner and was quite crude. This new add-on is much better. Go ahead, update your forum status and see for yourself!

TaigaChat Pro
We have been without a chatbox for more than a month now so I know at least a dozen of you will be happy to see this back. TaigaChat is heavily integrated with XenForo and has a ton of nifty features including displaying a minature version of your avatar next to your chat, the ability to change font colors (for certain usergroups) and additional moderation options tied to your Forum account.

Plus Much, Much, More!
Beyond just these paid and really obvious plug-ins over the last few days I have implemented a multitude of smaller plugins from a "friends" system, server side caching to increase performance, and custom BB code to administrative things like spam blockers and additional moderation tools.

Permissions Changes

Beyond bugfixes from permissions related issues we have overhauled our old (fairly) simplistic user group system to something with multiple tiers. Where before there was only one general user group "Registered" we now have 3 different ones.
  • Registered-
    Relative to the old "Registered" user group this new one has less permissions. Mainly aimed at combating SPAM and other negative behaviors some forum features (like signatures) are restricted until you make your first few posts.
  • Registered+
    As the name implies relative to the old user group this new one has much more permissions. This includes access to much of the site's new features along with some easing of some of the harsher anti-SPAM measures aimed at new registers.
  • Promoted
    Distinguished by their [Defenders of Defoko] flag members of this user group are pillars of our community. As a reward they have larger attachment limits, the ability to use different color text in the chatbox and more hidden features you all will have to discover yourselves.
Speaking of discovering for yourself in order to prevent the system from being gamed I will not be explicitly stating how one gets into the Promoted user group. There are at least 3 different criteria (with an additional 2 planned) that will get you promoted after you achieve specific goals. Stick with us here at UtaForum and you will get this flag eventually.

Trophy Changes

Speaking of things that will get you promoted *hint hint* the Trophy system is undergoing a complete overhaul. Old trophies have been renamed, new trophies have been added, and even more have been planned. Keep checking back at our Trophies help page for the complete list of trophies you can earn as more are planned to be added throughout the week.

Rule Changes

Speaking of help pages for those of you who haven't seen them yet with a new version number comes a new Terms of Service & Rules page. You should probably read it all in detail as a lot of you weren't following the signature rules but I digress...

The short and sweet is two new rules have been added:
  • Do Not Create Multiple Accounts
  • Do Not Attempt to Game Forum Systems
You will not be punished for any accounts that existed before this rule so long as you continue to use only one of them going forward. Also going forward there will be a strict no tolerance for attempts to game any of our forum systems. This goes from everything from likes, resource ratings, showcase reviews, post counts, trophy points, and anything else we may add in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: XJM

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm not sure if this is just my account or the forum overall but, I found that I can add my twitter account but I can not add my google one.Can this be fixed anytime, soon?

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Changelog:
  • Fixed Google+ & Facebook Integration
  • Major Showcase Plugin Update
  • Resource Manager Conversion
  • Opened Defoko Skin Contest
  • Other Backend Changes

With the release of Showcase 2.2.0 we are one step closer to release. Along with a new look it includes some new features which I look forward to using in the future. Formal rules for Showcase still need to be finalized but it is something the staff will be discussing over the course of the coming week. Look forward to new features like filters and custom field searching.

Beyond Showcase we implemented an add-on for an add-on allowing us to convert existing threads to Resource Manager resources. Going back through the Tutorials and Resources directory I have successfully imported all of our old tutorials into the Resource Manager system. UtaForum now has +30 Tutorials & Guides and a dozen different reclists and Recording Resources.

Documentation on the upcoming Skin Development System has been added to the Skin Dev Subforum. Care for the stickies for the info and feel free to forward me any questions and concerns. With the rules finalized we have also opened up the Defoko Skin Contest and are awaiting at least one more entry beyond the existing 2 to begin voting.

Beyond the visible there have been a host of new backend plugins added, most related to the points, ranks, and promotion subsystems recently implimented.

cbka6.png

On other news we have received 3 backers via PayPal/UtaForum HQ and counting their contributions along with previous Kickstarter funds we have $65 in available in our warchest. If we can raise another $25 we should have enough for a lifetime licence of Credits Premium and the new points systems outlined earlier in the thread.

Special thanks to @Cheesesum, @Adlez27, & @Uchuu whom have contributed and have been awarded Supporter status along with "[K] of Honor" and "Purple Heart" medals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xuu

Xuu

Ask me about Synthesizer V
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ok! I donated the remaining $25 so we can head on out of Beta soon! :D
EDIT: 100th Post!~

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Thanks for everyone's contributions!

Points system implemented.

samth1815

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Woohoo, looks like we're out of beta! Hey, has the User Essentials been implemented yet? I'm really looking forward to that!~

Xuu

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think so, considering I've got all 6 of my tokens o3o

Xuu

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Maybe it's only the paypal people who have it...?

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
bye MyBB utaforum...you will be missed...

Xuu

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
UtaBucks are a currency you get from posting and doing general forum activities~ Tokens are for donating ouo

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
Whoa, I didn't even notice the url change. I guess the thing that made me think that things happened/the official move was when I noticed that I was logged out.

Looking at my Utabucks, I don't have much because I didn't donate. I think it's a good thing that minimal amounts of Utabucks are given for everyday posting and stuff: It gives people who can't donate while preventing spam/farming.

Reactions: Umbreon126

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
UtaBucks = General Forum Activity
Almost everything from reading threads to having your thread read will earn you a small amount of UtaBucks. You get Bucks for logging in, you get bucks for achievements, almost every action you do in UtaForum will earn you UtaBucks. Literally everything you do (on specific sub-boards) will earn you some amount of UtaBucks. These bucks can be spent on a variety of coming features from a yet-to-be-implemented shop to the "UtaBuck Exchange" where you can exchange your UtaBucks for Tokens at a yet-to-be-finalized exchange rate.

Tokens = Premium Forum Currency
Tokens or "Style Voting System Tokens" as their formal name is defined is the forum's premium currency. There are a variety of ways to earn them first and probably easiest method being donating to help us maintain the board, other methods include participating in community sponsored events, and of course exchanging your UtaBucks for tokens. The Tokens will have a variety of planned uses first and foremost being the Style Voting System but beyond their namesake I hope the community finds other uses for Tokens beyond the official one.

Personally I have plans to revamp UTAU.me and offer a variety of services (web design, subdomains, web hosting, etc.) to the community in exchange for Tokens. Not only will I get more voting power (yay!) but it would allow people who can't contribute monetarily to UtaForum to indirectly support us by adding additional "value" to our otherwise fake currency. I sorta imagined it eventually becoming a more worthless version of dA points, being used as currency for commissions or whatever except without a dumb "premium" account system that turned some users into second class citizens.

As for Kickstarter rewards they have yet to be issued but we are planning to issue the "Backer Survey" before the months end and hand out all backer rewards links, tokens, etc. before our official launch. We are still technically in "beta" and I was sorta using @Uchuu and all our UtaForum HQ/PayPal backers a guinea pigs to make sure the new forum systems (medals, tokens, usegroups, etc.) all worked fine before we implemented it en-mass to our Kickstarter backers.

But yes, MyBB is dead, RIP MyBB. Welcome our new XenForo overlords. We are making good progress and hopefully we will be able to leave beta soon