Utau [Bad File Name or Number]

LeftClickShift

Momo's Minion
Hello there! I'm quite new to this forum as well as Utau so I apologize for any mistakes made by me during this post. I recently attempted to install and use Utau but with very little success. I have been messaging someone on YouTube about my issues however they seem stumped and thus I have turned to this forum. I will attempt to use photos and text to give an outline of what steps I have taken and hopefully I will find a resolve.

7767361348_aa08d26dfa.jpg

After learning about the local issues with Western computers, I made sure I went though the steps to set my computer's local to Japan.
Going to
7767361426_57d36bcea1.jpg
and set both the Location and Non-unicode programs to Japan.
7767361668_306e2423c1.jpg
Followed by a system restart.
7767361568_8947251704_m.jpg

A Japaneses language pack was also downloaded
7767361758_4c343a10eb_b.jpg

and with the help of Vistalizator the language pack was added.
7767360166_11f7633e07_b.jpg

Again followed be a system restart.

Also, I visited http://utau2008.xrea.jp/
and downloaded the Utau executable file and two different voice banks. 
7767362764_a824dd0156.jpg

For the sake of trial and error I picked Koe and the Kagene pack. Mainly because Koe's voice bank in in Hiragana while the Kagene pack is in Romaji.

Once downloaded, I installed Utau first picking "Run as Administrator"
7767362832_1f82b8894b.jpg

Install was fairly standard for this sort of program, despite the second page which allows the user to choose from two options while selecting the file destination. I left all of these default.
7767362222_4fd101532b_k.jpg

After the program was installed the GUI English translation was located (via the Utau WIKI) downloaded and extracted.
7767362472_dac3cfabdc.jpg
7767362380_e8245c21d1.jpg

The file was then checked to insure that it was installed into the "res" folder.
photostream
Which it was and all files inside it seemed to be intact and fine.

At this point both voice banks where extracted.
7767360048_2c1107a413_z.jpg
They where checked and all voice files seemed fine. Again a system restart.

The program was then launched as Admin, it fired up fine and seemed to be stable. Koe's voice bank was selected.
7767361042_8f7835c99d_c.jpg

It is worth noting at this point that the sample button on Koe's character bio seems to be working fine and sound files are being played just as they should.

Koe is then tested for function with Hiragana, as that is what her voice bank is saved as.
7767360466_37d2af85b4_c.jpg

No voice is heard and the error message reads "Bad File name or Number"
She is also test for Romaji with the same result.
7767360314_0635c8bb71_c.jpg

Kagena Himeka is then selected, again sample button works and no errors selecting.
7767361248_5d3cb085b3_c.jpg

I tested her for both Romaji (Voice banks default) and Hiragana.
Same results as Koe;
7767360848_f7a1644116_c.jpg

7767360612_94fa0bc862_c.jpg

I hope that all of this info helps and I at least gain some direction to go in! Thank you for all of your help!

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
Hm... This seems to be an odd problem. But I'm giving my guess here.
I noticed that you used Window's default archiver to uncompress the voicebanks. Please, check on their folders (not on UTAU interface) if the file names remain correct (if they are in kana, or just gibberish), as well as opening the oto.ini and check if the text is correct as well.

What I'm assuming with this is that there is a chance that Window's default archiver may have corrupted the file names, even with locale set to Japanese, and UTAU can't play the voices because their files have symbols that UTAU doesn't accept, and then gives the Bad file name error message.

I also saw that you made some procedures that were not really needed. For example, changing your "Location" isn't needed, but just the language for non-Unicode programs.
And I never saw anything about the language pack you installed, as well as "Vistalizator". For what I know, Windows 7 comes with all language packs installed as default, then there is no need to install any (at least, regarding Japanese)

I'm not sure if all this information is useful, because I don't know the exact cause of the error you're getting.

LeftClickShift

Momo's Minion
tady159 link said:
Hm... This seems to be an odd problem. But I'm giving my guess here.
I noticed that you used Window's default archiver to uncompress the voicebanks. Please, check on their folders (not on UTAU interface) if the file names remain correct (if they are in kana, or just gibberish), as well as opening the oto.ini and check if the text is correct as well.

What I'm assuming with this is that there is a chance that Window's default archiver may have corrupted the file names, even with locale set to Japanese, and UTAU can't play the voices because their files have symbols that UTAU doesn't accept, and then gives the Bad file name error message.

I also saw that you made some procedures that were not really needed. For example, changing your \"Location\" isn't needed, but just the language for non-Unicode programs.
And I never saw anything about the language pack you installed, as well as \"Vistalizator\". For what I know, Windows 7 comes with all language packs installed as default, then there is no need to install any (at least, regarding Japanese)

I'm not sure if all this information is useful, because I don't know the exact cause of the error you're getting.

Checked the Voicebank and all of the .wav files still have their correct Hiragana titles. Oh, I was unaware that switching the location was unneeded and that the unicode would do. I was working from a textual tutorial so I had no photographs of the actual tab it was referring to.

From my understanding Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise come equip with the option to download all other language besides the one bundled on Windows. However, Windows Basic and Home Premium does not and third party programs are required to add the registry files.

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
I'm aware of this feature of Ultimate and Enterprise. But you are not required to change your whole system language in order to use UTAU.

And if the file names are correct, this is a very odd case. Did you check the oto.ini file as well?

Oh, one more thing, which I'm unsure if it could affect anything, but are you running UTAU as administrator?

Umm... I just thought of it, although I doubt that this could be the case. But please, check the path for your voices folder. In the whole path for it (since the disk it is located), there shouldn't be any character that UTAU doesn't accept (as like accented letters, like ü, à, ç; greek letters, Korean characters, etc). UTAU only accepts Japanese characters and the basic latin alphabet. Anything out of this range will give troubles.

LeftClickShift

Momo's Minion
Soo... I just checked the oto.ini file and everything seemed to match up on all of the voice files I have. Yeah, I have been running at administrator though out this whole process. I am honestly really lost on what to do. Unless there is some obvious staring me in the face...

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I have a solution that MAY work.

(1) right-click them utau shortcut and set it to windowsxp compatibility mode.

(2)In the UTAU setting check *No batch file for resampler*

LeftClickShift

Momo's Minion
JeremyB796 link said:
I have a solution that MAY work.

(1) right-click them utau shortcut and set it to windowsxp compatibility mode.

(2)In the UTAU setting check *No batch file for resampler*
Looking in the settings, I see no "No Batch file for resampler" however there was a few others that looked similar to it. I'm not sure if it is a translation difference or if it is something I'm not seeing. Would it be a hassle to post a screen shot of the setting you are referring to?

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
sorry I mean "No Batch file for rendering" derp...

its in the middle...

LeftClickShift

Momo's Minion
Hmm.. It's saying "Failed to generate wav file. Please check settings"  :uhm: I am stilled very puzzled.. Is there any like common newbie mistake that I could be doing that is causing this.. I feel like part of my issues comes from my own lack of knowledge, but asking for someone to hold my hand every step of the way has never been my real way of going about doing things!

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Was UTAU nistalled before or after the locale change?

LeftClickShift

Momo's Minion
I installed Utau after the local was changed, I also recently checked to make sure my computer has all the necessary requirements.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
why do you need vistalizer?

I had no trouble with locale change.

Are you from the US?

Raiyux

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The "bad file name or number" problem is probably the most common problem amongst new users. I see it all the time. I had it at one point, too. However, I honestly have no idea what the problem is, here. It seems that you've done everything correctly...

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Windows 7 but I have heard that they have to use something called 'AppLocale'...? I don't know if this is even relevent to your problem, but at this point I'd try it anyway.
http://utau.wikia.com/wiki/Installing_UTAU_on_Windows_7_With_AppLocale

If all else fails, try re-installing?

The good news is, since this problem is a common occurrence, you could at least surf the forum for a solution. Windows 7 doesn't seem to be too friendly with UTAU, considering all of the problems related to that OS.

I'm sorry that I can't be much of a help, here. :<

Reactions: CRTブラック

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
One should not have an issue with 7.

I have used utau on Xp,Vista AND 7 Home premium.

Try compatibility mode and/or run as administrator.

LeftClickShift

Momo's Minion
Raiyux link said:
The \"bad file name or number\" problem is probably the most common problem amongst new users. I see it all the time. I had it at one point, too. However, I honestly have no idea what the problem is, here. It seems that you've done everything correctly...

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Windows 7 but I have heard that they have to use something called 'AppLocale'...? I don't know if this is even relevent to your problem, but at this point I'd try it anyway.
http://utau.wikia.com/wiki/Installing_UTAU_on_Windows_7_With_AppLocale

If all else fails, try re-installing?

The good news is, since this problem is a common occurrence, you could at least surf the forum for a solution. Windows 7 doesn't seem to be too friendly with UTAU, considering all of the problems related to that OS.

I'm sorry that I can't be much of a help, here. :<
I finished following all of those steps on the Wiki- still nothing... I'm not sure why I'm running into all of these issues, although I suppose the program was never intended to run on North American computers..

Raiyux

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm sorry I couldn't help you. This is really strange. DX

And you're probably right. Maybe it's not 'intended', but just as sure as North Americans use Japanese Vocaloids, they had to have assumed that we'd just get a hold of UTAU anyway. All of the poking and prodding varying based on system properties... With as many users as there are worldwide, you'd think they could just make a more user-friendly setup for western users. :/

...However, I still believe there's some way to get it working properly. I mean, there has to be! I just hope someone can find it for you...

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It doesn't matter i your computer is north american. As long as the unicode and region and region are set to japan then you technically have a east-asian computer (as far as the software is of course)

however i did just recently remember an odd bug I once had.
When you changed the Unicode did you get a prompt to insert your windows installation disk?
If not then your OS is flawed...

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I had this issue ... several times as a matter of fact.

As another side note, If your install is over a year old then chances are your registry is also damaged.
The older the install the worse you computer gets. I know this from experience and from fixing other peoples issues (i once reduced an 45min boot time to 10-15sec)

If you continue to have issues running utau then chances are you will have to re-install your operating system and set your region when prompted during the install.
---
Please note that reinstalling windows will format and erase ALL data so you should back-up and archive any files you can't replace.
---
I also may post a thread on how to optimize ones system to better run utau and speed things along.

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Er. Hate to tell ya, but you don't get the installation disk prompt on Windows 7 full stop.
A thread on optimisation would be useful, though!

LeftClickShift

Momo's Minion
Thank you for all your advice everyone, I seem to have everything set just as the tutorials have instructed.. I am still having no luck.. Perhaps if I record my full process using camtasia or something.. would that help if you guys could see exactly what I am doing?