Utau DenzuSilvery Design Critiques welcome

DenzuSilvery

Teto's Territory
I spent roughly two years working on my Utau DenzuSilvery I even made her a background story and I wrote fanfiction involving her connection to the vocaloid and utau fanbase I like to show you guys her final model which I put together using the mmd program stuff.

t06u53.jpg

29xgoex.jpg

vovma1.jpg

2w7nuco.jpg

2monghu.jpg

Here are some song's that I have tried using her in.

OMGPingu

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
First of all, her voice is too muffled. You need to remove all background noise, and get a decent mic. Don't worry, my first banked sounded similar~

As for her design, it kind of reminds me of a Pink Miku...but that may just be the model confusing me.

Mint-Z

Momo's Minion
For the voice, I'm 100% with Pingu. Also, you might want to fix the oto, because her voice sounds a bit choppy.
For the design, I'm personally not a fan whatsoever. Looking at the top three, her outfit is a mesh of recolored vocaloid parts. I'd recommend drawing the design instead of using mmd parts to make her design, unless you can make detailed parts from scratch.
It's alright to be inspired by other designs, but just recolor different them just makes them boring an unoriginal.
I do LOVE her hairstyle though

DenzuSilvery

Teto's Territory
Thank you so much for your posts I kept them in mind and tried again I'm hoping this time she looks less like Miku ><

296258h.jpg
296258h.jpg

Mint-Z

Momo's Minion
MY issue isn't necessarily that she looks like Miku; it's that there is nothing special to her design. It's nothing that I haven't already seen.

DenzuSilvery

Teto's Territory
oh.
I did not want to go over the top with Denzu in case it seemed like I was trying to hard so I wanted to keep it a simpleish design

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If I may just scoot in here and offer some tips! Recently I redesigned my own UTAU from this to this. So I think I can offer some advice that helped me out.

Even though her first design was a simple one and basically just borderline re-imagined typical Vocaloid/UTAU elements I still managed to make it special and make it mine with the color scheme and her flowers. Take the flowers away and turn it into a monochrome color scheme and she wouldn't have stuck out much. Still, it worked and got her from 2011 to now(well...that plus her voice).

These days in the fandom, new UTAU who just use the same old Crypton-loid design elements are not going to get far. If you see an UTAU with that design style and they get a lot of attention it's probably because they've been around for a looong time where something like that was okay and expected.

For my UTAU's second design I looked up a lot of different outfits and clothes designs to get my ideas(while also re-imagining some elements from her old design which on their own were re-imagined bits of the Crypton-loid designs...). And of course she has her flower...

So, my advice to you would be to think about your UTAU as a character and what kind of clothes would she where if she weren't an UTAU and were just a normal original character? Part of her own story if you will cause honestly she already is, ya know?
  • Where is she from?
  • What kinds of colors does she like?
  • What's her favorite season?
  • What would she wear during that season?
  • Does she like to dress in a feminine way? Or more masculine? Casual? Formal?
  • What kinds of accessories would she wear?
  • Does she have a symbol or theme or something that could set her a part from everyone else?
  • Is she a happy character? Does she hate everything? Neutral feelings towards living?
I could go on....and a lot if not all of these things don't even have to be canon. You also don't have to answer all of them; but they can and often do affect what someone would wear and could help you come up with design ideas. Google some images of different fashions you'd think she'd wear for reference. Don't be afraid to mix clothing styles up! Make sure your color scheme conveys the feelings you want it to. Obviously for my UTAU, it's clear she's a sweet and nice person from her pretty pastel Spring-time colors.

Black + one other color is nice and all and can convey a more neutral feeling and character...buuut....after a while the schemes start repeating themselves? You should try adding some other colors to her design.

Understand? And don't give up!!! It takes time to come up with a good design that people will find interesting and set your UTAU a part from the others. Character design come naturally to some, not so much to others. But your UTAU is off to a decent start, friend. You just need a little push in the right direction!! ^^

Last edited:

Mint-Z

Momo's Minion
Iris I love you so much for your answer * V *
To go with colors, I suggest playing around with color palettes. Think of some colors that you don't see together a lot in designs and try to work with that. Decide if you want balance or a main color with accents.
Also, this is just something I suggest, but I like to create a design that reflects the genre that the UTAU suits. My UTAU usually suits pop and rock, so she has a cute design that isn't super feminine, and also uses bright and dark colors.

DenzuSilvery

Teto's Territory
my utau has a soft voice so I guess she would do well with classical msuic thank you for your help guys I am starting to draw my utau instead maybe then I will use my software to make her outfit

DenzuSilvery

Teto's Territory
Ok I found an old design I did for her originally when I wanted her to be more of a fairy type utaloid
2cfeiq1.jpg

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's nice. I would make her wings more translucent and...pink I guess. To match. Right now they look fake like what you'd wear on a Halloween costume. With fairies, a lot if not all of the time, their wings match them in some way shape or form, ya know? A spider fairy would have wings with a webbing pattern or motif.
A lot of forest fairies are drawn with wings that resemble leaves.
Water fairies can have wings that resemble...well...water. Or even fish fins!

See what I'm getting at? It still kind of turns back to the questions I listed. What kind of fairy is she?, etc. And Mint's suggestion to go with what music genre she suits is a good one. She looks like a pop singer right now to me. If you want to give her a classical(or ballads since soft voices fit those too) feel I'd try giving her either a) a more formal look or b) since you have a fairy idea going on, a more ethereal look.

I would still strongly suggest drawing your idea out. Since using models and pieces only gives you so many options?
While with drawing your only limited by your drawing ability and even then it's only a matter of finding good references~ :wink:

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
She looks nice!! Kind of like a ballerina which is good for classical and soft songs. I don't suppose you have a scanner or something or a way to kind of transfer the work into a digital piece so that it's easier to see??

DenzuSilvery

Teto's Territory
I'm afraid not but I do have a web cam someplace I can take an image from that maybe
[DOUBLEPOST=1430155681][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm afraid this is as good as I can get it

sw6c0g.jpg

DenzuSilvery

Teto's Territory
Ok so I went back to my 3d program and I made my utau a dress from scratch I made the dress and boots

hsls03.jpg