UTAU English VCCV 2015

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think the only recordings that wouldn't NEED to be redone are some of the CC ones, like when you're doing the word fly you'd have an "fl" "_lI". However if it's not hard to record consonants I encourage recording a new set for each pitch since changing your tone can change how your consonants sound.

If you're worried about organization you can probably make the folders within a pitch folder and the oto should pick it up with editing (I think? IT's been a while since I tested that) or just migrate everything into one folder, or like Adlez says OREMO can put direct aliases on everything so they don't even need to be in the same folder and you can just have folders like CCV_A4 or whatever.

Reactions: ✧ Elfrida ✧

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
UTAU will not pick up nested folders within the bank; only one depth of folders will be detected. Thus, for multipitch, there are two solutions: either merge all the files + otos for a single pitch into one folder after they're completed, or keep them as separate folders with names like CCV_A4 as shinami mentioned. I will personally probably be doing what shinami said and not re-recording my CC sets... because once you get to doing enough pitches, it's actually a pretty major shave off the oto...

Also, I would think that more short samples with less white space would end up conserving file space better than huge samples with likely tons of white space. Doing that kind of merger (to have all of a pitch in one sample file) would be a huge mess in terms of making edits... I wouldn't recommend it. Folders are the way to go for organizing multipitch.

As I understand it, Cz plans to release some list variations in the future -- a bare-bones one with only the most basic required sounds; expansion lists with more unstressed vowels, vowel-to-vowel blends, and consonant combos; lists tailored toward different accents -- those sorts of things. This list is what she considers to be the most versatile standalone list, with everything you would want for the majority of your English needs (but perhaps without a few of the bells and whistles) without cutting too many corners on quality for bank size.

Also, for you overly ambitious multipitchers, remember that UTAU can only handle 2^15 (32,768) lines in the merged oto.ini (meaning from all folders). VCCV English requires 3,000+ oto.ini lines per pitch, and that's not considering any possible list expansions in the future. Just something to keep in mind while you're making your crazy plans. (Stationary vowels are your friends!)

Sonianjeriku Kagamine

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The tutorials are so cool. That looks like so easy. That give me to try to make this VB^^ but i prefer to wait more advice on my UTAU.

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I've only started working on one pitch and it's over 150 MB. So the consonants might not have to be rerecorded to save space? Or I just try recorded and see how the jump between pitches sound.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think the only reason really that CCs might need to be rerecorded is if you're going for a powerscale or something and you want them to sound different (like in your strong pitch they're a bit harsher perhaps) but yeah thinking about it they really don't need rerecording otherwise.

(And Moon how is yours only 150, you still working on recording by chance? I've been expecting banks to hit near Cz's 400 MB per pitch.)

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm not sure. Maybe because I've eliminated a lot of white space since I split my recordings one by one from a larger recording. Considering I'm making a bipitch it should be only around ~300 MB-ish? @_@

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Is there a tutorial showing exactly how to use a bank with nested folders? I know cdra mentioned it before with multipitch but with there being 10 folders with 10 separate oto.ini files, I'm not sure if I will do it right (plus I'm a huge visual learner)

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Is there a tutorial showing exactly how to use a bank with nested folders? I know cdra mentioned it before with multipitch but with there being 10 folders with 10 separate oto.ini files, I'm not sure if I will do it right (plus I'm a huge visual learner)
There is no difference between having the otos in nested folders and having them all in one folder; UTAU merges all the otos into one file when you open the voicebank, so there's really no room for error. You just have to be sure that there is some sound sample in the outer folder so that UTAU will recognize it as a voicebank. (I usually put my breaths there!)

B

bodytemp

Also, for you overly ambitious multipitchers, remember that UTAU can only handle 2^15 (32,768) lines in the merged oto.ini (meaning from all folders). VCCV English requires 3,000+ oto.ini lines per pitch, and that's not considering any possible list expansions in the future.

I agree with cdra on this, Ive had to seperate my bank into 4 different banks at 6 pitches it doesnt like 2 pitches of it mind you it dies in the butt if you put 3 in like utau decides its a good day to die. Multipitch for now is a bad idea
[DOUBLEPOST=1441706128][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not sure. Maybe because I've eliminated a lot of white space since I split my recordings one by one from a larger recording. Considering I'm making a bipitch it should be only around ~300 MB-ish? @_@
1 pitch is 300-500mb

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I agree with cdra on this, Ive had to seperate my bank into 4 different banks at 6 pitches it doesnt like 2 pitches of it mind you it dies in the butt if you put 3 in like utau decides its a good day to die. Multipitch for now is a bad idea
Actually, I'm still planning to do 4-5 pitches myself. Though I have crashed the program with too many samples/lines of oto before, so we'll see how exactly I decide to divide those--I just don't want to cut any corners on tonal quality this time. I don't like how Halt sounds on monopitch...

The point was more to say, a certain number of pitches (more than 8-9) is literally impossible for UTAU to handle. So keep that in mind.

EDIT: The VCCV oto is exactly 3429 lines, by the by.

Last edited:

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
There is no difference between having the otos in nested folders and having them all in one folder; UTAU merges all the otos into one file when you open the voicebank, so there's really no room for error. You just have to be sure that there is some sound sample in the outer folder so that UTAU will recognize it as a voicebank. (I usually put my breaths there!)
Ah, so simple,thanks :D!