UTAU for Android?

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
So I'm not really sure about this, but Ameya-P made a few tweets a while back concerning UTAU and Android. Since it was paired with one about Vocaloid for iPhone/iPad, I assume it was about a mobile version of UTAU??? One of them actually said UTAU Android without any Japanese in between, so.

I don't want to say there's one in development without hard evidence though, so if anyone wants to try their hand at translating those tweets...
I don't think I could do a good job by myself

Discuss.

CatastrophicMelons

Momo's Minion
I hope they do come out with an android version. That would be heaven! I wonder how they would implement it, though. How will we get the voicebanks in? Plugins?

Dojan

Momo's Minion
Android has a fairly open file system, you'd most likely put the voicebanks onto the SD card, assuming your phone/tablet has one.
Plugins? Not seeing it happen. I could be wrong, but they'd have to be coded in a different language than the plugins we use for UTAU.

CatastrophicMelons

Momo's Minion
Dojan link said:
Android has a fairly open file system, you'd most likely put the voicebanks onto the SD card, assuming your phone/tablet has one.
Plugins? Not seeing it happen. I could be wrong, but they'd have to be coded in a different language than the plugins we use for UTAU.

Good point. I was starting to think about the SD card thing, but I don't see plugins being available either.

Umbreon126

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
One of Ameya's recent Twitter photos show UTAU's Windows UI written in Java and ported to Lubuntu and Mac OS X, and seems to work (!!!). If it ever gets released, could use Complete Linux installer, an app that can run some Linux distros on Android.
Unfortunately Wine for Android (and ARM architectures, which are the processor at the heart of all [most?] Android devices) is not here yet, so no Windows programs on Android/Ubuntu on Android yet, but I've read it's being worked on :sing:
(And Cadencii for Ubuntu needs Wine for resamplers. :cry:)

half of that didn't make sense did it

isengaara

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
VOCALOID does run on OMAP based devices such as the Miselu Neiro.
Most UTAU-resamplers do not come with source code, so the community cannot port them to ARM based systems. World4UTAU is free software under the GPL, but it really slow on an ARM system. Currently I am building a resampler that uses libsms. It should be able to run on Android and other systems with limited resources. The Music Technology Group who develped the VOCALOID signal processing released libsms under the GNU GPL so I can use it in my UTAU resampler.
No Wine is needed for this resampler. Here is a sample song that I created using my own resampler.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Possibly the UTAU for android would be like.... a LITE version of it to compose songs with Defoko, for example, or tuning while you are on your ride on the metro.

I personally think that Ameya should stop making an UTAU version for another plataform and focus on the compatibility between UTAU-PC and UTAU-Synth; to make them more alike.

Umbreon126

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
If I understand one of Ameya's recent tweets correctly, there are currently no plans for UTAU for tablets (So presumably no mobile UTAU of any sort yet). :sad:

@Yue Nagareboshi: Ameya has got the Windows interface (not sure about the underlying part) and more resamplers (fresamp and phavoco) on Mac so far.

XJM

Teto's Territory
It does sound pretty neat though may just be Ameya tossing ideas in the air. UTAU on android/mobile devices would be awesome (and convenient for some) but I think it would be a better idea to continue improving the Mac/PC versions first before considering android or any other mobile OS.

I'm not much on programming (Though i'm constantly trying to get into it) but still think It might not be the greatest success in the world if any kind of mobile UTAU app were released. It's just early.

I don't think it's out of the question that UTAU will become more portable but in it's current form (from what I've seen so far) It might be a bigger bite than Ameya can chew.