UTAU in Ubuntu

B

Black Oak Studios

Is it in anyway possible to run UTAU in Ubuntu OS using wine or other software?  (I also can't figure out how to connect to my wireless network, so If someone could teach me that too...)

aquatius

Momo's Minion
This tutorial should be helpful: http://utauarianna.altervista.org/tag/utau-on-linux/

In order to get it to run in Japanese, though, I had to either change my locale to Japanese or add the command LC_ALL="ja_JP.UTF-8"

Unfortunately Wine doesn't run UTAU perfectly for me. It's kind of laggy and the timing of notes changes randomly, making it pretty unusable.

aquatius

Momo's Minion
Catgirl link said:
Ohai, I'm the one that wrote that tutorial. I actually use another Linux distro so instruction might be off for Ubuntu and might need tweaking.
I'm here if you need help though.

Also, http://utauarianna.altervista.org/tutorials/ this link lists tutorials better than the one given above ^^

Ah, that worked! Thank you so much ;w;

(also, sorry for the off-topicness!)

EDIT: OK this is in response to the wrong topic... Basically, the GUI thing you said in the other topic worked for me ^^;

Catgirl

Teto's Territory
Oh I'm glad it worked! It was written in the tutorial actually, but maybe you missed it. ^^
Since it seems confirmed by a few people that timing gets off without selecting that option, I'll add a clearer note about it in the tutorial. :smile:

ntzrmtthihu777

Momo's Minion
OMG thank you so much Catgirl! Were it not for you pointing out the new version, 0.2.77, I would never had been able to install UTAU in my ubuntu laptop (quantal)! I ran into your above-linked website and it unlocked the final key for me >w< I had everything set correct except I was using 0.2.76, installed fine and did most everything, except render wav files! >0<
I created a ubuntu-specific tutorial here for the benefit of other ubuntu users looking to run UTAU :D

Catgirl

Teto's Territory
I linked your tutorial in my own :smile:

BTW, as an information, wav file rendering issue was fixed in wine 1.5.16 with the introduction of multi byte characters in batch processing.
However, 0.2.76 is still not usable even though it now renders, because the tempo of the result is usually wrong. The 0.2.77 option about using front-end gui to calculate note length is still vital to get the tempo right.
I have to write a new bug report at WineHQ about it, but I need some time to test that behavior properly and see how the tempo gets messed up (because it seems to be related to how close the UST tempo is to 120).

ntzrmtthihu777

Momo's Minion
I actually wrote an entire wiki on the subject, complete with screen-shots. It would probably be be best to link to it instead, some people need to see how its done instead of just read.

Catgirl

Teto's Territory
ntzrmtthihu777 link said:
I actually wrote an entire wiki on the subject, complete with screen-shots. It would probably be be best to link to it instead, some people need to see how its done instead of just read.
Oh, amazing! Will update the link.
I was wondering one thing though, why are you installing wine by installing playonlinux and not directly with the wine package? Just curious. ^^

ntzrmtthihu777

Momo's Minion
Haha, quite frankly because that was the way it was recommended to me, lol. I also found out how to unzip Teto's voicebank properly in Ubuntu (and other Japanese zips, I bet :D ), I noticed your site is more arch-focused, so I will make a second wiki on this, lol.

Catgirl

Teto's Territory
Haha, quite frankly because that was the way it was recommended to me, lol. I also found out how to unzip Teto's voicebank properly in Ubuntu (and other Japanese zips, I bet :D ), I noticed your site is more arch-focused, so I will make a second wiki on this, lol.
Oh ^^;
I was wondering about it because PlayOnLinux is actually an excellent wine versions and prefixes manager. It can use the system native wine version (which I guess gets installed as a dependency), but allows you to download different wine versions through its interface and assign them to the applications installed through it, it is a great help when it happens that some wine update breaks something, and also let you use a newer wine version than the one in the distro repositories (especially with non rolling-release distros like Ubuntu that take quite a lot of time to update their packages).
I wanted to add a detailed paragraph about it in my tutorial but I haven't gotten around it yet.

The fact you found how to unzip Japanese archives is a great thing! I kept telling myself to do some proper research about how to do it in other distros, but I never managed to X° My site is indeed Arch-focused because I'm very Arch-addict ^^; I've used several distros in the past, including various Ubuntu flavors, but once I tried Arch I just couldn't go back to anything else ^^; My current laptop came with Ubuntu preinstalled and I believed that it would have been okay, but I only resisted a few weeks before I wiped everything and installed Arch again XD;
So it's great that you're doing tutorials on the Ubuntu side, since the majority of users is on Ubuntu anyway.

ntzrmtthihu777

Momo's Minion
Actually I have an interest in trying Arch, got an iso and everything. Problem is I don't know how to burn it to my flash drive from within Ubuntu. I know about unetbootin, but I have had some bad experience with that, and the Ubuntu Startup Disc Creator will not use the Arch iso. I have no blank DVDs and lack the funds to buy more so >.<

Catgirl

Teto's Territory
Actually I have an interest in trying Arch, got an iso and everything. Problem is I don't know how to burn it to my flash drive from within Ubuntu. I know about unetbootin, but I have had some bad experience with that, and the Ubuntu Startup Disc Creator will not use the Arch iso. I have no blank DVDs and lack the funds to buy more so >.<
I don't know about burning iso to flash drive, but when I had Ubuntu on this laptop, I installed Arch on an external USB hard drive from Ubuntu. Some time later I used that installation to wipe Ubuntu and install Arch on the actual laptop. So I had no physical install medium at all, I used only the iso, I followed this tutorial on the ArchWiki -> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_Existing_Linux using the chroot method.

Anyway, if you simply want to try things out, maybe you could simply set up a virtual machine with virtualbox? It's way easier and you don't need to burn the iso... of course, that depends if your system specs can handle virtual machines decently, but on a fairly recent computer it shouldn't be an issue unless you're very low on RAM.

ntzrmtthihu777

Momo's Minion
You know, I was just thinking about using a VM. Does arch have a native "startup disk creator" like ubuntu? And can it be used from within the VM?

Catgirl

Teto's Territory
You know, I was just thinking about using a VM. Does arch have a native \"startup disk creator\" like ubuntu? And can it be used from within the VM?
Uhh, I don't think so, but if you use Virtualbox you don't need it either, I think. You can simply download the installlation disc iso and mount it in Virtualbox. You can tell it to load an iso in the virtual CD-ROM drive, the virtual machine will see it as if it were an actual CD.
Then go to the ArchWiki and follow the install guide.
It's not really easy getting into Arch when coming from Ubuntu or similar user-friendly distros, because it won't give you fancy tools to do anything, you have to build all your system from the ground up. Not everyone likes that approach, but it's a great learning experience nonetheless (plus, if you're installing it on a VM for a first try, you won't risk anything if you do mistakes in the install process)

ntzrmtthihu777

Momo's Minion
Wow. What version of Ubuntu are you using? And on a side note, I have wrote another wiki detailing how to unzip Japanese .zip files within Ubuntu.

Catgirl

Teto's Territory
Could someone tell me how to install wine? ^^;;
I've added  ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa to repositories, but Software Center still won't install wine,saying it
s not in my repositories, and sudo add-apt-repositpry ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa, then sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get install wine1.5 doesn't work or wine1.4. it jsut keeps saying the package is refreed to but not on the repositories... thanks in advance to anyone who answers ^^/
It has been a while since I used Ubuntu so I'm not sure, but isn't it there a graphical front end to search the repositories? It's either that the wine repo didn't get added properly, or that the package names have changed and the instructions you're following aren't up-to-date.
Searching wine from the package manager software might bring up all the packages in your enabled repos (then I repeat I'm not on Ubuntu since quite a long time so...)

You could always install PlayOnLinux instead, and add the latest wine versions to it. When you install and run UTAU you need to start the whole playonlinux interface with Japanese locale though (so "LANG=ja_JP.utf8 playonlinux").

edit: apparently you can have Cadencii for Ubuntu too :o
ubuntu software center
Uh, and does it *actually* work? Because I had tried to install jcadencii, same version as that package, and it was pretty much useless, won't sing, won't load USTs, will glitch on about everything and throw NullPointerExceptions at you. :orly: but maybe it's just my install since I used the deb package on a different distro.