UTAU Visual Novel based on UF?

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
So this Idea might seem far fetched, but my love for VN's has caught up with me again.

So I thought...why not make an Utaforum based UTAU VN?

With Utaforum based I mean that this project will be made entirely by people here; and only UTAUs that have a Showcase page can appear.

I thought of making this a group project, and maybe have the utaus be voice acted or either as talkloids?

I'd like to know if you think this idea is good, and if you'd be interested in taking part!

(Artist, Voice Actor/Actress, Developer, Writer, etc....)

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
Are you going to use a VN maker like Ren'Py or from scratch? Are you considering all languages (UTAU) or are you only considering English ones? Is this going to be an one-off release or would they be updates that will continue the story? What genre is it going to be? How much UTAU are you going to use?

I don't really have an opinion on whether the voice overs will be from the VPs or talkloids, as long as it sounds good. Though, it would be fine if there's no voices (they can always be added later). Also, do we need to restrict it to UF's banks? I mean, it can be an UF project but we can use banks from outside as well as those from here.

I don't mind being a writer. If you're thinking of translating it into other languages, I'll be available for Spanish. Not everyone here has their UTAU in the Showcase by the way.

This is a really ambitious project and I hope it succeeds.

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Are you going to use a VN maker like Ren'Py or from scratch? Are you considering all languages (UTAU) or are you only considering English ones? Is this going to be an one-off release or would they be updates that will continue the story? What genre is it going to be? How much UTAU are you going to use?

I don't really have an opinion on whether the voice overs will be from the VPs or talkloids, as long as it sounds good. Though, it would be fine if there's no voices (they can always be added later). Also, do we need to restrict it to UF's banks? I mean, it can be an UF project but we can use banks from outside as well as those from here.

I don't mind being a writer. If you're thinking of translating it into other languages, I'll be available for Spanish. Not everyone here has their UTAU in the Showcase by the way.

This is a really ambitious project and I hope it succeeds.

Okay these are a lot of question...

I don't know yet; All languages, tho those with english capabilities (can be bi or trilingual idc) will come first; I am not sure yet; Not sure either, I'm thinking of different stories with different genres depending on the utaus; I don't know yet;

Also, I'd prefer voice acting from their vps, since it'd be much more natural, and of course not!

Reactions: taigz and partial

Milk

i like bad things
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm a bit too busy atm to help in something like this (otherwise I totally would), but I can give you some advice!

For the engine, I suggest using TyranoBuilder on Steam, it has good reviews and is pretty easy to use from what i've seen (I haven't used it, however, so there might be something better?) It's also only $15, so it's pretty cheap and accessible.

For voice acting, I think it'd be pretty cool if you used actual UTAU voicebanks instead of human actors. This can be accomplished relatively easily using UtaYomi to convert UTAU voicebanks into TTS soundsets, which can be used with a program like Softalk or Boyoumichan. Though, if these are a bit too complex to use, you can always just render out speech in UTAU itself, especially if you plan to only include English UTAUs.

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I'm a bit too busy atm to help in something like this (otherwise I totally would), but I can give you some advice!

For the engine, I suggest using TyranoBuilder on Steam, it has good reviews and is pretty easy to use from what i've seen (I haven't used it, however, so there might be something better?) It's also only $15, so it's pretty cheap and accessible.

For voice acting, I think it'd be pretty cool if you used actual UTAU voicebanks instead of human actors. This can be accomplished relatively easily using UtaYomi to convert UTAU voicebanks into TTS soundsets, which can be used with a program like Softalk or Boyoumichan. Though, if these are a bit too complex to use, you can always just render out speech in UTAU itself, especially if you plan to only include English UTAU.

Thanks for te help!
I think the VPs could decide for their utaus, for my.utau I'd prefer to voice act, because I can't get the talking tone my utau is supposed to have when talking, since his singing voice is meant to be different.

Reactions: taigz and Milk

melodicake

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I can help with writing. I'd love to include my own UTAU as well but seeing as they're instruments that (probably) wouldn't work with the talkloid idea, lol. I'll still help out if you're going to go through with the project.

Reactions: taigz

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
This is honestly interesting, but no easy feat. Would definitely recommend finishing the writing first so you have an easier time focusing on the visuals. Will be neat to see how this evolves.
I second this! Have a good, solid story to draw the player in. It'll keep them engaged throughout the VN. Pretty visuals don't do much for the player/user except give them something to look at, IF there isn't a good story. They would only look at things at face value at first, than appreciate the work put into it. Plus, the writing and story should dictate the visuals and the artwork.

Reactions: Kiyoteru and taigz

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I'm ready to go on writing and story direction. I love writing.
Ohh this sounds interesting . I can draw so if ya need help always around~
This is honestly interesting, but no easy feat. Would definitely recommend finishing the writing first so you have an easier time focusing on the visuals. Will be neat to see how this evolves.
I can help with writing. I'd love to include my own UTAU as well but seeing as they're instruments that (probably) wouldn't work with the talkloid idea, lol. I'll still help out if you're going to go through with the project.
I second this! Have a good, solid story to draw the player in. It'll keep them engaged throughout the VN. Pretty visuals don't do much for the player/user except give them something to look at, IF there isn't a good story. They would only look at things at face value at first, than appreciate the work put into it. Plus, the writing and story should dictate the visuals and the artwork.
Thank you guys for the feedback and help! I will later make a post detailing every single thing that I'll need, and make a discord group!

Ghostysenpai

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Are you planning on having original art assets (not just sprites but also backgrounds)?

Are you planning on having an original score to come with it?

VN's are no easy feat. Especially not if you're considering multiple endings/multiple instalments. They are very heavy on the artists who have to draw 7+ sprites for often 5+ characters making them look cohersive....

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
this is interesting. A Slice of Life genre VN?
Are you planning on having original art assets (not just sprites but also backgrounds)?

Are you planning on having an original score to come with it?

VN's are no easy feat. Especially not if you're considering multiple endings/multiple instalments. They are very heavy on the artists who have to draw 7+ sprites for often 5+ characters making them look cohersive....
Kinda, yes and yes

I will later make a detailed post about every single thing I'd need

Reactions: Zoku and taigz