UTAU voice pitch/vocal range

Elin

Teto's Territory
Hi!
I don´t know if this is a relevant question... Feel free to move it if so!
I was just wondering(because I´m a noob)how wide ranges an UTAU often has.
(Not so good at english)
If we say for example C4-C2.
When I looked at my trilingual UTAU(voiced by me)it said: 279.7 Hz(C#4)default tone
And here´s what makes me so confused: logical range : F#2 - A5
Is that a wide range, and is that 2-3 octaves?
Is that normal?
I can say that, I have NOT been practicing on singing these tones.
Plus, I am 21 years old female.
Do I sound like a man then?
If someone can make this clear I would be happy!
Sorry for weird thread...
Thank you.

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Like the previous person said, UTAU's logical range can be inaccurate especially if samples have a lot of background noises.

From my personal 4 years experience, voicebank that is recorded in one pitch only has usually an octave or 12 semitone vocal range (plus minus 3 semitones). UTAU also tend to expand vocal range better up than down from base pitch. So, when your base tone is C4, it's impossible that it can go to F#2.

Rule of thumb would be that mono pitch VB that is recorded in 4th octave will sing that octave best and can go even close/little over C5 (unless the recorded base pitch is something like F4-B4, it can usually sing also under C4 some semitones pretty well).

Instead of trusting UTAU's stated logical range blindly, I would trust my common sense and do some plug-and-play UST playing tests to figure out how good/natural it sounds in low/high notes.

If you want that your UTAU has more than an octave large vocal range, I would suggest recording additional pitch(es) for voicebank aka. recording multipitch voicebank. If you decide to record one, please remember that "the more pitches recorded the better and larger range" isn't 100% true. Often 2 or 3 pitches are enough to cover 2-3 octaves when recording pitches are selected wisely. 5 pitch would be absolutely maximum for a basic multipitch, there are no point recording more pitches unless it's like "3 pitch of normal voice, 3 pitch for power kire voice, 2 for whisper and 1 pitch for falsetto" kind of multi-expression voicebank.

Reactions: Kiyoteru