UTAUloid vs UTAU

Do you call an UTAU voicebanks "UTAUloid" or "UTAU"?

• Total voters

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Just something I noticed: most people in the UTAU community call UTAU VBs simply "UTAU" while those who aren't in the community (such as most non-UTAU Vocaloid fans, for example) call them "UTAUloid."

How do you guys call them? I call them "UTAU" since the program doesn't have "loid" at the end unlike "Vocaloid" and because most people here call them simply "UTAU."

Last edited:

Shasta

Professional Lurker
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I depends with me, I've been an UTAU user for about 3 and a half years and it really depends on who I'm talking to. 90% of the time I just say UTAU though, I have noticed lots of newcomers referring to their UTAUs as UTAUloids.

Reactions: kimchi-tan

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I personally see "UTAUloid" as the mark of someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.
Same with me. When my friend called them UTAUloid, I found it kinda cringy and told him that only noobs call them that XD

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I call both. It is an automatic thing. When I am making covers, etc I say "UTAU". But when I distribute UST I say "UTAUloids used"...IDK why. I guess I call them this ways so the newcomers won't confuse? As I said, it is an automatic thing XDDD

Putting "loid" is like comparing it to VOCALOID...somehow...Like writing "CeVioloid". Vocal Synth≠ VOCALOID XDDDD

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
I commonly see the term 'UTAUloid' used within spaces of those who really aren't accustomed to the community and fanbase of UTAU (i.e. AkiDearest, many people on Vocaloid Amino) and therefore only see just the very, very bare surface of what UTAU is. Many of the people that others see at the face of the UTAU community are the people that are new and are more in alignment with (for lack of a better word) the common weeb.

Using 'UTAUloid' also creates confusion within new fans, as they most likely stumbled upon UTAU via the Vocaloid community. by attaching the '-loid' suffix to UTAU, it will be compared to Vocaloid and new fans will automatically associate it as a 'type' of Vocaloid, such as 'Cryptonloid' or 'Fanloid' or 'Voyakiloid'.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Depends on the person I'm discussing it with, really. People who aren't in the fandom are more likely to give you blank or confused stares when you use the same term to refer to the voice library and the software it's made for. I can't speak with absolute confirmation on this, but UTAU and Vocaloid are pretty much the only software I'm aware of that don't make the distinction between the UI/Engine and the voice used within it. It's not like, say... painting or film making where there are verbs and tenses associated with them. Can't really say "I'm Vocaloiding; I Vocaloided with Iroha; this is my Vocaloid (the last one can technically be used as an indicator of possession, but you don't own the copyright to say it's yours in the fullest sense)." Sure, Vocasynth is the catch-all term of the day, but it still requires actually distinguishing which software and voice you're using.

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I say both. I mainly use UTAU unless of course the name had the loid in it then it's just automatic to then proceed and call it an UTAUloid around others so they just know which one I'm talking about. Other than that, I've seen it used referring to a group of UTAU because it's easier to say UTAUloids, than UTAU(s). If that makes sense. There's also the fact that UTAU is the name of the program, so to others it may be easier to refer to the voicebanks as UTAUloids, rather than referring the name to the program as a whole

I honestly don't see the cringe in it at all, but that may just be me appreciating the fact someone(new or old) is paying any time of their day to talk about it.

Flavio Riama

Teto's Territory
I kinda... Never really paid attention at it. As I can remember I always call them "UTAU" / "UTAU/s". I also try to never make comparison between Vocaloid and UTAU since it irritates me when people compare them like UTAU was so money supported as Vocaloid is.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

partial

UTAUloid always has been so... cringy. I feel like it is a name mainly used by newcomers who are trying to compare their UTAU to a commercial Vocaloid library, and it kind of irks me.

It irks me to the point I avoid talking to people who use the term, even. I feel like it is incredibly childish, or like that person is trying to get their UTAU to Miku status and thinks attaching -loid will help.

I have harsh views, yes,

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I typically just say "voicebank," or "UTAU," myself. I actually don't have an issue with the use of "UTAUloid." To me, "UTAUloid" is just one more word to describe what someone's talking about. (Also, the idea using "UTAU" for everything automatically makes me think "Marklar," but that's me.)

Also... I don't get the "omgnoob" cringe-factor response other people seem to have to the term. To be honest, the fact that there is an admitted cringe response kind of... well, makes me cringe. Especially since it's mostly attributed to newcomers. I doubt I need to remind anyone, but it's hard enough joining an established community when you're still learning the ins and outs, without having people roll their eyes at you for not knowing the exact right word or phrase they prefer to hear when making yourself understood. To me, that response rings of an almost "good enough to belong" feeling that I don't really like. As far as I'm aware, this forum has generally been above that sort of attitude when it comes to new users.

TLDR; I think both terms are acceptable, and I wouldn't look down on any user (new or otherwise) who uses it. There's been enough drama in the community as there is without dragging cliquish high school cafeteria BS into it.

Of course, that's just me. -shrug-

Last edited:

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
I say "UTAU" when referring to both the program and voicebanks but also "UTAU voicebank" when referring specifically to voicebanks.

PeyPeytonton

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I strongly dislike the term UTAUloid essentially because the programme isn't called UTAULOID. (Not to be rude, but weeaboos mostly use that term in general.) I don't know how to explain why I dislike it to the best of my ability, but to be plain and simple, I hate the term UTAUloid.

Just to clarify, I personally don't have anything against anybody who uses different terms such as UTAUloid.

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
But only juniors and seniors are allowed to eat lunch on the second floor!

Pssh. Eating on the second floor is for ordinary students. I eat my lunch on the roof. :shades:

For the record, I'm not trying to call people out or anything. I'm sure most anti-UTAUloiders don't mean anything personal, and it's certainly fine to not like the phrase. I just got a bit irked by the tone of a response or two while reading through the thread.