[VB Recording] Vibrato Or No Vibrato

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I'm about to start recording a CV bank for lanceLOTTE, and I want wondering if I could get some advice on something: I was considering adding a sort of quick, quivering vibrato to my notes when recording the bank since it's more natural to be and I like the sound of it, but would that be bad for a voicebank? I want to do my best on this, so any input would be appreciated, thank you~ C:

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You're really not supposed to record a bank with sounds that have radical pitch changes. Not only do they mess up the sound in UTAU, they're not necessary since those pitch changes can be applied to USTs. So, ah, I'd opt for no vibrato.

If you wanted a natural sounding bank, it's good to have some breathiness to your voice (but not too much) & then try the voice with TIPS, or more recently tn_fnds.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Definitely not. You want as consistent a delivery as possible.

If you want Vibrato in the UTAU output the program will generate it based on the samples no need to add it extra.

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Okay~ Thank you both! I'm going to trust your judgements and avoid vibrato in my recordings.

CatastrophicMelons

Momo's Minion
If you want a more natural sound, try recording a little blank space behind the vocal sample and make the sample 1.5 seconds long. Or that was what I've heard. I have some experience with CVs, but not as much as VCVs.
The first voice I made followed those standards except that the voice itself made it sound weird. Other than that it turned out great.

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Stupid question alert- Do you mean "behind" as in before the voice, or behind as in after the voice? X:

Also, can someone suggest to me whether I should record in stereo or mono? Please and thank you. >u<

Dojan

Momo's Minion
This is an OK triphone sample. Try to keep the spacing between the syllables even. Don't make the consonants too long. Vowel length doesn't matter much as long as you don't run out of breath.
Preferably, you should keep a perfectly straight pitch, that way you'll avoid artefacts (this is more noticeable when using resamplers that loop rather than stretch).
You can always modify and flatten the pitch after you're done recording in Melodyne or something similar.

The red line represents pitch. If you record using Oremo there's also a pitch and key guide available there. Try to stay on roughly the same key throughout the recording, otherwise the samples will sound a bit inconsistent.
4kiuy9.png

Also, be sure to practise your vowel pronounciations, you don't want two different sounding (for instance the A in cake and the A in man sound very different, be sure to stick with one sound for each vowel) vowels of the same sort since in triphones this will be very noticeable.

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Ah, thank you~ I just recorded all my samples and they looked and sounded pretty good methinks, but then I realized my mic had the cover on the whole time so imma have to re-record to try for better quality ;n;

NaughtyPichu

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
It's fine, don't worry about it C: I put it before AND after just in case ^u^;