We need to start talking about the future of UTAU's engine development before it's too late

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Changing the locale doesn't mess anything up as far as personal files. Any program that changes the language to Japanese can easily be changed back to English 9 times out of 10. The only program I've had issues with is Studio One and that's only if you don't install it prior to changing the locale to Japan.

Reactions: Mitt64

JellyB

Teto's Territory
Changing the locale doesn't mess anything up as far as personal files. Any program that changes the language to Japanese can easily be changed back to English 9 times out of 10. The only program I've had issues with is Studio One and that's only if you don't install it prior to changing the locale to Japan.

But my mom will kill me tho. :holy:

수연 <Suyeon>

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
But my mom will kill me tho. :holy:
Do you have or use Studio One? If you don't or if it's already installed and in English, then you have nothing to worry about. If all the programs you need are already in English, they will not change, neither will your programs. Locale only allows your machine to read Japanese properly. You don't have to worry about restarting your machine and the menus and everything being in a language you can't read.

JellyB

Teto's Territory
Do you have or use Studio One? If you don't or if it's already installed and in English, then you have nothing to worry about. If all the programs you need are already in English, they will not change, neither will your programs. Locale only allows your machine to read Japanese properly. You don't have to worry about restarting your machine and the menus and everything being in a language you can't read.
I don't have studio one at all, but my mom and dad think it will be bad for my computer if I change locale. Also my computer is in a kid safety mode so I can't change my locale and stuff like that. It sucks to be me some times.

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The only consequences I've noticed are some apps installing in Japanese, but the solution was just one Google search away. You'll need admin privileges to change your locale, and possibly for other language settings.

Perhaps you could show your folks a video tutorial demonstrating the process and results. That way you can prove it's harmless and have a nice guide to follow.

JellyB

Teto's Territory
The only consequences I've noticed are some apps installing in Japanese, but the solution was just one Google search away. You'll need admin privileges to change your locale, and possibly for other language settings.

Perhaps you could show your folks a video tutorial demonstrating the process and results. That way you can prove it's harmless and have a nice guide to follow.
I may try that. If they still say no I'm just going to save up for a Japanese computer. Or a cheap computer.

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
There's an open source program called mono that lets users run .NET across multiple platforms, looks like it even includes mobile. You'd have to edit the GUI for each OS. I'm a Windows user with Visual Studio so I've never tried it.

But then, if most of the project developers are proficient in another language like C++ or C, I would just go with that.
I'm aware, but people shouldn't have to struggle with things like mono just to get something working. I've always had issues running stuff with mono.

Lystrialle

Administrator
Administrator
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'd like to remind everyone to please fill out the Google form if you haven't already and are interested!

I'm getting advice from a friend who works in the field on how to do a real software spec and I'd like to seriously talk about making a real team once I get back from Korea and Japan. (Out of the country is a hard place to do this.)

수연 <Suyeon>

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
To avoid possible reinvention of the wheel, please pay attention to this project:

https://ecantorix.moe/
Looks interesting. If only it wasn't on Linux only, darn >.<. Been meaning to dual boot Makulu or Elementary after format and reinstalling Win10 anyway (my hdd only has 40.4gbs free) so I might be able to test it out once I do.

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
Looks interesting. If only it wasn't on Linux only, darn >.<. Been meaning to dual boot Makulu or Elementary after format and reinstalling Win10 anyway (my hdd only has 40.4gbs free) so I might be able to test it out once I do.
IIRC QT stuff can be compiled on Windows too.
Ah. I remember eSpeak. It's pretty good. Now if only I had Ubuntu or something to use this.
If you want to, you can run a Linux distro in a VM, like VirtualBox or VMWare. As for Linux distros, I'd suggest Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS.

Tomato Hentai

dont call me a veggie
Defender of Defoko
According to here, you can use it on any OS Qt allows. You can find the downloads for Qt here. As for Jack, I'm not sure what it is. It's most likely this but I don't know. As for compiling, I'm lost but there should be tutorials somewhere to use them.
The project should contain a Makefile which is what you run when you wanna compile something.

수연 <Suyeon>

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
QT - even just MinGW and msvs - takes a long time to install and takes up a lot of space (I'm waiting for it to install now and it's been installing for like an hour), so unless you have time and find comprehensive tutorials on how to compile .pro files and put everything into a neat little .exe, I doubt QTAU will take off beyond it's linux roots and be accessible to windows users. I'm tech savvy, but I'm not a linux enthusiast beyond the basics, nor am I a programmer who finds the idea of compiling things titillating. I can... try to compile it just to see if it works and if I can make an exe out of it, but I won't make any promises.

@Tomato Hentai, thanks for pointing it out and all, but I doubt the average user is going to have this kind of patience to install 3Gbs worth of QT just to get a single program to - possibly - work as an alternative to the UTAU interface.

EDIT: I'm now down to 32Gbs of space on my hdd and after looking through all the folders, there is no makefile for QTAU. Everything is still in a .pro state and... I have no idea what I'm looking at when I open them. I understand not wanting to reinvent the wheel, but people need something easy and intuitive where they can just open it and use it without a lot of mucking around in programming tools.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomato Hentai
I don't think Ameya is done working with UTAU... I mean, it has such a large community and to stop updating it and possibly not allowing many people to use it, I don't think he'd want that to happen... Hopefully he's working on a huge update or something

Reactions: unknownLinguist