What Are Your Thoughts On CV English?

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by Reson_Lore, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Reson_Lore

Reson_Lore Lord Of Edge Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Question - what do you think of CV English?

Because here's my argument. If it's done right, it sounds decent. I've done a few CV English tracks and they sounded good.

Example - Lia Skye STARLIGHT (CV Japanese)

This wasn't even a multilingual bank.

Example - Castillo Wynn STARGAZER (CV/C Japanese/Welsh)(This track only used the CV samples) -

I know he sounds robotic, but that's the point of the bank.

So, what are your thoughts?

sailor _ravioli likes this.
  3. partial

partial UTAU English advocate Global Mod Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I find CV English pretty charming. It definitely isn't the optimal way to get the job done but it's not bad by any means.

4. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    An English voicebank that consists of only CV samples is an incomplete voicebank. The English language fundamentally requires consonants at the end of syllables. Given that these voicebanks are intended for Japanese, as are many other voicebanks, there's no problem with using those for English vocals when that's the only option available. But if you're working on the development of new voicebanks specifically geared towards English, please complete them properly.

WinterdrivE likes this.
  5. Reson_Lore

Trophy Points
    ....I made Castillo six months ago. As an experiment. That's why I haven't released the bank.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 16, 2018 ---
    And he has basic end notes, anyway. like -er or -k or -ks

6. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    The title of the thread was about the concept of CV English, which is why I replied with my general thoughts on it. I didn't realize that you only expected people to comment on your particular piece of work.

7. Reson_Lore

Trophy Points
    No, that's not what I meant. Sorry, U was half asleep when I posted that reply

8. UtaJoule

UtaJoule Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I played around with making CV UTAU sing in English. I don't think I did too badly. I used Defoko, by the way.

Click here to listen.

Irrelevant note but I was using UTAU on Ubuntu at the time.

9. sailor _ravioli

sailor _ravioli Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    CV english can work but its p tedious with enveloping and adding additional notes to the base ust etc. this is from my peronal experience using CV banks to sing english songs imo itll always sound a lil choppier than VCCV due to obv diff recording processes

in all its not bad i actually prefer and like making CV eng covers its just more tedious and time consuming for a pretty okay or similar result compared to VCCV or CVVC

VCCV

CV

VCCV

CV

and just for kicks CVVC

CV
    https://clyp.it/a205mreu

10. Reson_Lore

Trophy Points
    Defoko is really difficult to use unless modified anyway. Nice use though, I actually understand her which is amazing. You're clearly really good with her, nice job!

I TOTALLY agree with you.

Yeah, it is worse in comparison, but the whole point of CV English, at least in my opinion, is experimentation. How good can you actually get it? What sounds smooth, what doesn't? How noticeable is the accent?

Using your CV version of Don't You Worry Child, and my CV version of Everytime We Touch (because they're the same voicebank), there's a noticeable difference in pitch and accent. Yours is lower, making a more growled effect, and mine is more or less in the exact pitch I recorded it. It sounds different. Also, we're both different in how we tune UTAU, so yours is different than mine. They're different songs, which means they sound different. Also, I have the added bonus that it's my voicebank, I know exactly how it works and what it's quirks are, knowing where to substitute, etc.

It's the same with VCCV/CVVC and CV. They're both different, leading to different sounds. Sure, one makes smoother English, but the other makes a very iconic sound. If done correctly, it can sound very smooth, like Lia does. If not, it can sound choppy, like Castillo. But they're different. There's no right or wrong way to make an UTAU sing in English. It's up to the producer and the producer's abilities to use CV English that make it work. I know that English needs end notes, and that's why CVC and CV+ exist. They have the end notes as seperate recordings ('t', 'er') recordings with schwas instead of regular vowels.

So yeah, in my opinion, if you wanna do CV English, feel free. If you prefer CVVC or VCCV, that's fine too.

Sorry I was rambling!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    sailor _ravioli likes this.