what creates a quality VB?

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Now what I mean in this is what are the most well known things that top it when it comes to creating VB quality. I know there are several factors that create good quality such as

Microphone (dynamic or other) -- Recording program (audacity/oremo/ect.) -- mixing audio -- type of computer audio?

and so on. So I wanted your opinion on this what what you thinks works the most in creating quality vbs.

I use a Samson C01U microphone & Audacity for recording & mixing. I'm thinking of upgrading my microphone & debating if I want to use a different recording software, I'm also hoping to sooner or later sound proof my room. At the same time I really need to do something about my laptop because it's barely working as it is & idk if maybe there is a computer that does better for audio recording or not.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If want to go really crazy...
  • Recording Setup: Get the most expensive cardioid condenser mic, most expensive cables, most expensive interface, etc etc.... most expensive soundproofing panels... Okay, maybe you're better off saving your money and renting out a good studio.
  • Recording software: It really doesn't matter what software you use to record, as long as you're saving 44.1kHz wav files. Some resamplers can support higher sample rates, which will lead to higher quality stretching (and less screechy artifacts) so that's the main thing to look out for. Perhaps dithering may make a difference if you're recording a particularly quiet bank? Eh, probably doesn't mean a thing, if you're recording at a reasonable loudness. OREMO is hecking great for making UTAU banks, you could definitely whip out a VCV in 10 minutes with that thing.
  • Computer audio: If you're using an audio interface, I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of your computer specs. Just watch out for cable interference, I guess. There's analog signals going through, so it can get messed up.
  • Configuration: It's all going to heck if you don't OTO the bank well. Commission the top OTOers to do it or... bug them to teach you? Don't forget the rule of commissioned work- you can get it fast, cheap, and high quality, but only two of the three. But really, what good are nice samples if you can't even use them in UTAU properly?
  • Mixing: Yeah, maybe this will make a VB sound good, but it's no longer the VB by itself- it's the VB plus music. This is what the end user does, so it isn't on the developer.
  • Reclist/USTing/usage: This, however, is. The impact it has on the sound is maybe just how many samples are available, but if the reclist is difficult to learn and hard to use then a user won't want to use the UTAU. Voicebanks that are easy and even fun to use are great. I personally enjoyed using Adrian's VCV bank, because it really is a multilingual VCV, but of course that's a lot of effort on the developer's side.
  • The secret ingredient: Love. And money? But mainly love.
Good luck, gakusei.

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
If want to go really crazy...
  • Recording Setup: Get the most expensive cardioid condenser mic, most expensive cables, most expensive interface, etc etc.... most expensive soundproofing panels... Okay, maybe you're better off saving your money and renting out a good studio.
  • Recording software: It really doesn't matter what software you use to record, as long as you're saving 44.1kHz wav files. Some resamplers can support higher sample rates, which will lead to higher quality stretching (and less screechy artifacts) so that's the main thing to look out for. Perhaps dithering may make a difference if you're recording a particularly quiet bank? Eh, probably doesn't mean a thing, if you're recording at a reasonable loudness. OREMO is hecking great for making UTAU banks, you could definitely whip out a VCV in 10 minutes with that thing.
  • Computer audio: If you're using an audio interface, I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of your computer specs. Just watch out for cable interference, I guess. There's analog signals going through, so it can get messed up.
  • Configuration: It's all going to heck if you don't OTO the bank well. Commission the top OTOers to do it or... bug them to teach you? Don't forget the rule of commissioned work- you can get it fast, cheap, and high quality, but only two of the three. But really, what good are nice samples if you can't even use them in UTAU properly?
  • Mixing: Yeah, maybe this will make a VB sound good, but it's no longer the VB by itself- it's the VB plus music. This is what the end user does, so it isn't on the developer.
  • Reclist/USTing/usage: This, however, is. The impact it has on the sound is maybe just how many samples are available, but if the reclist is difficult to learn and hard to use then a user won't want to use the UTAU. Voicebanks that are easy and even fun to use are great. I personally enjoyed using Adrian's VCV bank, because it really is a multilingual VCV, but of course that's a lot of effort on the developer's side.
  • The secret ingredient: Love. And money? But mainly love.
Good luck, gakusei.

Thank you, this is very detailed (which I like to have more details in explanations) & is very helpful. I also agree that love is defiantly a key part for quality vbs lol it would also explain why all my failed attempts lately have been sounding terrible & bland :'D