What do you need to know about VCV Recording?

Cupcake

Talk-A-Lot
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Was looking at VCV UTAUs and all of them are using hiragana signs.
Does that mean that you need to know read/write hiragana?
I know that Vertigo's OREMO Reclist shows alphabet letters, random example a_ni_ne_a_no, but to utilize it you still need to know how to use hiragana?
And anything to watch out while recording a VCV UTAUloid? What about oto-ing? Heard people use setparam or something. Any information about VCVs would help.

Reactions: Mougeki Mero

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Was looking at VCV UTAU and all of them are using hiragana signs.
Does that mean that you need to know read/write hiragana?
I know that Vertigo's OREMO Reclist shows alphabet letters, random example a_ni_ne_a_no, but to utilize it you still need to know how to use hiragana?
And anything to watch out while recording a VCV UTAUloid? What about oto-ing? Heard people use setparam or something. Any information about VCVs would help.

You don't need to be obrigated to know Hiragana. Yiu can use romaji VCV, it will work same way
You need yes to use setparam while making VCV. Try to record all samples equally, so you will have less work while otoing

Reactions: Nohkara and Cupcake

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
From what I know, people use hiragana because it makes otoing faster. Setparam has a vcv setting that splits up the samples and auto aliases them, so all you have to do is drag the beginning cutoff, moving everything til where it should be. This doesn't work well with romaji.

Reactions: Cupcake

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Recording process: If you use OREMO, guideBGM will help you stay on-time and on-key. That way, all of your samples will be the same length, and at the same pitch. The default one can handle up to 7-mora, but One Note Jazz goes up to 8. I recommend trying to record VCV in as few recording sessions as possible, to make sure the whole voicebank sounds consistent.

The reclist itself: Can be hiragana and/or romaji. It actually doesn't matter what you name the files themselves. You could straight up number them, even. HOWEVER, if you wish to record using OREMO and use the built-in OTO generator, the reclist MUST contain the correct hiragana.

The oto: Aliases must be in standard VCV format, which is to have hiragana for the main note, and romaji for the preceding vowel. Aliases can be generated by means of OREMO's generator, or Tady's generator. Once all the aliases are done, it's just a matter of adjusting each part to fit the audio. Here's a quick diagram explaining it.

7M7sdlL.png

N.Zo

Nico Nico Need's A Nap
Defender of Defoko
There are plenty of reclists in Romaji that have a base oto that includes your choice of a Romaji or Hiragana oto.

As others have said, Oremo and Set-param are helpful with recording VCV.
As Coasty said, record in sessions. Take your time to release a quality bank rather than a sloppy one :smile:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I won't parrot what @Coasty said, but what he said is valid advice to keep with you. I will say, however, that you should start with a reclist that...
1) has romaji and hiragana options (romaji so you can reference to it and not mess up, hiragana so you can plug it into oremo should you use its oto generator)
2) is short - no more than 5-6 mora unless you have a high lung capacity. You're less likely to make mistakes when you don't have to scan your eyes across long strings.
3) don't record blindly. Look for reclists that have essential sounds and avoid those that have outdated/barely used extras that merely add bulk. @Terindie made a resource citing what's actually necessary for a proper Japanese bank (she's bilingual) and I've made a reclist that avoids the unnecessary/redundant strings often found in more popular reclists (such as the VIPPERS).