What exactly is making my UTAU sound terrible?

Sami-Fire

Momo's Minion
Okay, let me warn you, there's going to be a demo in here, and your ears are going to hurt when you're done with it. X_X I'm sorry. Really, really sorry.

Okay, so I recorded my VCV bank, got it all OTOed up... the person who oto'd it sent me a sample, and my bank sounded lovely. Then I decided to test it out in some USTs I had. One, Wanderlast, sounded pretty good (though I think i-so or some sort of i-s* sound was off). Then I plugged it into Pianobench's Illusionist's Paradise UST, and... this happened.

Yeah. It's really bad and I'm not sure what did it: resampler issues, something with the ust itself/not adjusting for Aelia's range properly, an oto problem, recording issues... If anyone could help me get closer to pinpointing the issue, I'd appreciate it. Do I need to chuck the bank and re-record it, or is something else at play?

(Also, another note, if it helps diagnostics any: for some reason Aelia's VCV as it stands now comes out more nasal than her CV bank. That's probably my fault though.)

Genosan

Ruko's Ruffians
Could you link to the VB download? I could check to see if she sounds odd to me too. That way we could determine if it's her VB or UTAU that is having issues.

warm rootbeer

The Helpful Insomniac
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
She doesn't sound bad. Some of the FRQ files sound like they're all over the place, which could cause the VCV to sound a lot less smooth than it should. You could go through and rightclick a sample that sounds off and click "edit frequency table" then fix the frq files so that all the little points line up. You could also try using a resampler that doesn't need FRQ files like VS4U and Tips.
Worst case scenario, you might have to re-record a few strings if you can't fix it with editing the frq files, but you shouldn't have to chuck the whole bank at all.

orahi_shiro

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I also think it's a problem with the .ust file. Be sure modulation (MOD) is 0 and check if you're in Mode1 or Mode2.
If the problem still goes on, I would go on Mode2, click Render just in case to reset all vibratos/portamentos and delete the cache files.

Also, if you want to make any FRQ files again, I recommend to make them with Fresamp instead of Resampler.

InochiPM

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ohh i hear it now, it sounds a bit sharp and its missing some pitch bends that let the voicebank flow correctly.
idk what the plug in is to fix that but if you can fix the pitch bends it will sound better.