What inspired your UTAU's design?

Milk

i like bad things
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Like the title says, what inspired you to make your design the way it is?

My UTAU, Aimi Hakune's current design is based on the generic Crypton-schoolgirl look, with a few accessory elements lifted from Steven Universe characters (not that it's that noticeable though). She's also an Elf, because why not?
Her new design (which I haven't unveiled yet) is inspired by the Forever21 type of US fashion. I also based her silhouette off of Victoria B/Posh Spice from the Spice Girls, since Aimi's voice really reminds me of her's for some reason haha.

Cine

Certified paint water drinker.
Defender of Defoko
E-KO is modeled after Diebuster & Evangelion. Other mech series too, but mostly Hideaki Anno's work.
That's kinda it really.

Nan is just generic mahou shoujou trope no. 36269

Hazu パワ

Weeaboo yet not Weeaboo
Defender of Defoko
My Utau Kyou Kazuki was originally part of a 3-o - where they all represent different elements of using a Vocal-Synth~

Unnamed UTAU #1: was suppose to represent the beauty in the creations
Kyou Kazuki: Was suppose to represent the technology that is used
Unnamed UTAU #2: Was suppose to represent the hard-work put into everyone's work.

So she was originally suppose to have a very electronic/cyber look but the project unfortunately didn't become a thing because of other's drama and personal issues. That didn't stop me from continuing work for Kyou Kazuki though~

The actual clothes that she wears is mostly based loosely around an avatar I had in a game that I use to play a lot(her tanktop, bondu, and hot pants) While the rest of her kinda just came into my head over time-

Reactions: partial and Milk

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What inspired my UTAU designs Hmm...

My first UTAU's (aka. Aki's) FIRST design was very heavily inspired by Kagamine Len, Oliver, rabbits (and Yokune Ruko but just tiny little). Later when I grew out "Crypton Vocaloid" thingy, then I've looked more inspirations from fairytales and old fashion of kings/princes (ca. 1700-1900?) and fusing them with some fresh, "modern", things(?)

Kiia... IDK where I got an idea that "hey let's dress up her to china dress!" but I do remember that I loved Ranma 1/2 when I was at elementary school....... China's culture is mystic and cool in own way, right?

TBH two of my UTAU are actually inspired by manga/game and/or UTAU character: Black Star from Soul Eater inspired me to create Azurite the Bird.

Naoto from P4, an UTAU called Sensei and Mitsuko from Win100% UTAU perfect master did inspire me to create Senchou. Ok, you might ask how Sensei and Mitsuko inspired, the answer is that those characters design are based on occupations (Sensei is kindergarden teacher and Mitsuko is a police officer). And cuz I like sea "a captain UTAU, so: why not?" Yeah, now we have more UTAU with an occupation haha >8D
[doublepost=1478805771][/doublepost]Whoops, accidentally double post

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Sci-fi stuff, most heavily Portal, Star Wars, Megaman, and FLCL. I was also inspired by judo-christian depictions of angels, and I really liked the idea of a robot who wants to be one. Every time I've redesigned CASSIEL, he gets less and less human looking, so I guess that's worth noting as well lol.

Reactions: Milk

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
At first my Utauloid had a generic, undefined, design. I couldn't draw well at the time, but tried my best with it after my friend and I decided to conceive utauloids. She pretty much had a dress and two miku sleeves and headgear, but once I got better at drawing I changed it. During the first redesign her outfit was evidently based off of the main character from Arina Tanemura's Mistress Fortune, although she still had the sleeves. Then I changed it again, giving her the gloves and changing her hair a bit, and this time it was off my own imagination with elegant yet cute in mind. Then the next and final redesign was something that held the last one's elements but looks much better.
[doublepost=1478817183][/doublepost]For my second utauloid, she at first was based off the first one, with a slightly similar name. Her outfit was mostly, and evidently, based on Pudding Fong from Tokyo Mew Mew, until I redesigned again as my art improved. In her second, most longstanding outfit, it was based mainly off of Neptune's second outfit from Hyperdimension Neptunia, but with shorts. I eventually changed that but kept some of the elements from the previous one.

For my third and final utau, she wasn't really based or inspired off anyone, for once, lol. I made her on a whim after thinking a certain hairstyle was cute, a lesser used one I might add, and then more ideas piled along neatly together. I wanted her to have a skirt that was plaid, but then I saw how little utau and vocaloid females have pants, so I switched it up. The redesign held probably the smallest change, keeping all the elements in her previous outfit present in the new one in some way.

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
My main UTAU, Kiseki Noke, was based on a real outfit I own.
kiseki_noke_normal_by_awesomejellystar-damk8u7.png
I wore it because it was comfy and I thought it was interesting. Her hairstyle came from me trying to make a lazy method to keep my hair from tangling when I go to sleep. Her headphones/bunny ears were a pair I had and they had LED lights in them. Her hair colour came from me using the wrong colour on a concept and being too lazy to start over.

My second UTAU, Midorine Pinku, is also based on an outfit I have. More specifically, a sweater. I don't have a picture like this because I lost her voicebank and any way to release her. I made Pinku when I was nine as a fanloid at first, and her outfit was exactly like Miku's with different colours. Her name came from the few Japanese words I knew then, but I kept it. I changed almost everything about her design except for part of her hairstyle, hair colour, and eye colour.

Shasta

Professional Lurker
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
The very first design I had for my UTAU, Shadow, was based on my elementary choir uniform. Her current outfit is based one a more "matured" version of said outfit, and her uniform is based on some cute clothes I saw somewhere and I added piano print on it to make it seem more... Unique.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
My voicebank (back when it was segmented into multiple characters rather than a single entity) was based on the following...

- Tsukine Sayuri (CORE bank) was inspired by Nekomura Iroha originally, but now is more generic like VY1 with a dash of the jeweled fairies motif of Aoki Lapis and Merli. I've always been a fan of magical girl anime and I also liked Memoirs of a Geisha, so I tried to incorporate a bit of both without being outright obvious.

- Kwon Kimae (now Jelly append) was inspired by K-pop. The voice particularly draws on the "aegyo" aesthetic that comes and goes in waves (some girl groups and solo artists keep the aesthetic for as long as they exist). See groups like A-Pink, GFriend, early SNSD, soloist IA etc. The style irl is a little too saccharine for my musical tastes, but I needed a voice that fit say... Miku, Yuki, Yukari, Mayu, etc. songs. To offset the voice, it's a little more mature looking - jeans so tight they're practically painted on, cleavage and midriff out. See the group f(x) and their performances of '4 Walls'

- Choi Saeryung (Wasabi append) was inspired by - again - K-pop, but more of the sexy side/swag side. The voice is more nasal like popular K-pop rappers such as Hyuna, CL, Miryo, Lisa, etc. The look is more inspired by magical girl, but in the RPG game sense, rather than anime (so revealing clothes that wouldn't be practical - typical black mage lol).

Junjou Ko

Teto's Territory
my UTAUloids are inspired by horror. Here is a list of inspirations I used

Alester Oishii: Yangire. He is also made in a more cyber/modern style

Kanjii/Honoko: Cyborgs. They have differing styles of clothing such as Kanjii being punky and Honoko being a princessy type

Hush: Dolls. Her design is based on Gothic Churchy dresses and doll clothing

Klaus: Phantom of the Opera and teddy bears (then again this one wasn't really concepted by me orz)

Kalle: Frankenstein's monster. What he lacks for in clothing originality, he makes up for with multicolored patches of fur with stitches

Edward: based on more normal clothing and has a more degenerate look

those are most of my inspirations lol

Animé Fan

Head of the Shonen Academy
Defender of Defoko
I have way too many to keep count of, so I'll try to be less wordy as I can be. Before the Seven Deadly Sounds' current association with the seven deadly sins, most of them were based on rather typical themes:

Miu was originally going to be an alien obsessed with potato chips, but his original design looked too bland, I ended making him a test tube baby incapable of expressing emotions.

Kael was supposed to be based off of a Beijing opera singer (more specifically a dan) and had a design similar to said performers, but because my sister criticized the design and his intended personality (he was originally going to be more aggressive than he is), Kael's new look was more based off of a martial artist. More specifically, his current design was inspired by Yun Lee from Street Fighter.

Watebayu only came to exist because my sister wanted me to make an UTAU based off my natural voice. Design-wise, he's supposed to be my interpretation of a young boy possessing stereotypical moé traits but later mixed in with Victorian/kodona fashion and a dom. I will guiltily admit that his eyepatch was inspired by Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler, even though I never even watched the series! :bigtears:

Okashi was also born out of sheer randomness and solely revolved around the sweet kodona theme or sweets in general, thus the blatant pun of his name; he specifically leaned towards mint and its derivative confectioneries. His later designs were more based off of candy-themed Halloween costumes from Chasing Fireflies.

χ is the the embodiment of childish edginess! Just kidding! χ's actually the embodiment of my hatred, which is why he's a "dedicated" misanthrope. His wardrobe is generally black, beige, and mauve casual clothes that the "cool" kids usually wear.

While Kael resembles the Eastern opera singer, Anon fits the mold of the Western opera singer. His red and black color scheme and affiliation with masks is loosely inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's The Masque of Red Death, along with his interest in horror literature and grim backstory.

Shi (or Shian) was simply born from my envy towards my sister and her UTAU's recognition in the UTAU community, which is shown through Shi's statistics and hatred towards women. He also more or less represents my interpretation of a character poorly treated by his own "parents" or "parent figures".

Rei was mostly made to fill the gap of the eighth deadly sin (which could be interpreted in several ways). Theme-wise, he's supposed to be based off a dress-up doll, shown through his many costumes, habit of wearing women's lingerie, and unemotional gaze. His current look is inspired by traditional tango dancers, since he's Argentinan. Rei's color scheme comes from his last name: Ginga (Silver River or Milky Way).

All sixteen A.R.C.O.I.R.I.S. units are inspired by real-life cosplayers, the solfege, and the Seven Chakras. The latter are shown by their names.

The XOTAloids are obviously intended to be shotas, being misunderstood and deliberately drawn childlike and wearing shorts. However, each one of them has his own origins:

Since Q.P. was originally going to be the sole XOTAloid, he possesses the most traits that defines him as a dedicated shonen such as his mannerisms and wardrobe. His shy and sensitive personality is inspired by all how shotas are poorly perceived and treated by other people. Q.P.'s overall designs were inspired from gentle or misunderstood characters such as Jun Kazama from Tekken and Lapis Lazuli from Steven Universe to iconic shonen characters such as Cuilan from Senko no Ronde. Q.P.'s name comes from "kewpie", which is a type of doll and short form of Cupid.

O.G. is supposed to a shonen who excels at self-defense and his aversion towards yaoi and bouncing body parts are based on the fact that there are little to no young boy fighters in fighting games due to being overshadowed by their older male and female counterparts. His outfit is inspired by Alice Tsukagami's nurse outfit from Bloody Roar, while his hair extensions come from Leona Heidern's alternate outfit from King of Fighters Maximum Impact. O.G.'s name comes from "ouji", which means "prince".

D.T.'s futuristic theme is derived from android and robot child characters and his disdain towards neotenic females and gender roles comes from the fact females, mostly young and teenage girls, get to be created and portrayed in any way without being flamed, while boy characters are either shunned or bashed on for "not meeting the traditional male standards". His makeup kit and arsenal of makeup weapons is inspired by Totally Spies, while his character item is based off of this. D.T.'s name comes from "doutei", which means "cherry boy/male virgin".

Well, that pretty much sums it up. I hope people aren't too bored or appalled by my personal thoughts.

ShokoraOto

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Last edited:

keopi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
For Michido I wanted something a little gender-neutral but cute with cosmic elements. http://fav.me/d9qdl3h

For Kazuo I wanted something more cyberpunk meets visual kei. http://fav.me/d9qdl3h

For Sawako I looked into more simple disco-esque styles meets a futuristic Japanese fashion. http://fav.me/daof8s0

For Sonata I knew I wanted her to look like a composer from the start :') http://fav.me/dadhlcn
(The same link is used for Michido and Kazuo just to let ya know! o vo]b)

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
revival from the dead, aaa!

This is gonna sound awful, but the initial inspiration for Trilli's design and concept of being an alien girl probably came from the fact that there's a certain NSFW/Pin-up artist that I'm fond of who draws a lot of monster girls in bright colors and stuff. Bonus points for whoever can guess who.

When I was younger but didn't have the capability of making an UTAU yet, I often designed potential characters. They were uh...very generic, Cryptonloid-y sorts. There was one that even looked like Utane Nami for ****s sakes.

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
I kind of wanted my UTAU to look less extravagant and a bit more like the average person so I went with clothes that were more functional and modern looking than I usually did, like clothes that you might actually see someone wear.

But also I wanted to show that they're very spoopy and seem to be under the illusion that it's Halloween every day so I made all their clothes spook themed and gave them glow in the dark fangs so maybe not exactly what most people would wear- but still functional and entirely possible?

So I guess I'd call the theme "what your average weird kid in the neighborhood who no one really talks to would wear"

NipahIsLife

Teto's Territory
Juniperevolution.jpg

Juniper's first design I was trying to go for a dorky girlie-girl look (the left picture). I only drew that design once.
Her second design I was going for a sweet, yet quiet and reserved kind of look. Kind of an updated version of her first design.
Her third design I wanted to go for 80's go-go girl inspired style. This was going to be her English design, but I may make it her new default design.

Reactions: Tin-Loid and Milk

SynthJ

Your average guy
Defender of Defoko
My design is modeled after me !! :smile: Jack is just drawn to semi-represent me, and in future art will start to look even more like me. I wanted to have something that really showed he is apart of me since singing is something I am very passionate and proud of, so I definitely wanted my UTAU to take the shape of me :smile:

Tin-Loid

Tin-Loid
Defender of Defoko
IMG_0156.PNG Tree Sounds is my utau, he has the same facial structure as me and the same stylistic choices ( The color combos he has like red and gold/green and silver) as me, but he's way hotter than me LOL.

Matsuban

Andromeda Alien
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Sophia was initially based on me, But now she's based more around the 'bad person with a heart of gold" character trope. As for her design, tbh, i have no idea. Her outfit was initially designed by someone else, and its kinda become a part of her lmao
Zach is literally a drawn replica of me with a lot of his personality attributes, but i try to make him his own character as much as possible. His design was literally based on Sophias and his outfit was designed by the same person who made sophias original one. He was also meant to be a "bishie" styled anime pretty boy.

My utaus aren't very creative ;_;