What is Tri-Pitch (And why is it useful?)

MIYAKO

Momo's Minion
I'm beginning recording, but I've seen tri-pitch VBs (and VBs where there is NO consistent pitch), and I wanted to know why tri-pitch is good? Why do people record in tri-pitch? What are the rules to recording tri-pitch? Are there guidelines for WHICH phonemes should be on which pitch?

That's all for now, thanks.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
What is tripitch?
- Tripitch stands for three pitches. It's a feature that has been around UTAU for a long time, but a lot of users evaded it because it was "too much work". Basically is recording your voicebank three times, in different keys.

Is it useful?
- Yes. The reason is because the UTAU engines use distortion samples to reach higher or lower pitches. The distortion is more evident in lower pitches, yet some soft banks are more evident in higher ones, turning the voice into metallic sounds.

Why do people record in tripitch?
- The reason that make people record more pitches it to emulate a more natural voice in UTAU and evade the reboticness due pitch-change.

What are the rules to recording tripitch?
- Each pitch recorded should be consistent in between their samples. If you record a voicebank in C4 with a certain breathiness, all the samples of that pitch must have the same characteristics.
- The transition between pitches should be natural. Dont make a strong C4, then a soft F4, and then a strong C5. The transition will make no sense.
- The multipitch can be done straight (all the pitches have the same type of voice) or dynamic (natural transitions).
- The amount of keys in between pitches may differ; for a natural sounding, you can go 5 steps/keys in between pitches.

Which phonemes should be recorded on which pitch?
All of them. Each pitch is a new bank.

Obakebaka

Momo's Minion
I think three pitches is too few in my opinion. I'd say four is better if you can be bothered to record them and have the space.