What keeps you going?

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
...Pretty self explanatory methinks. What's keeping you in this fandom & helps you enjoy UTAUing? Who or what do you do this for?

I've been experiencing some major drawbacks to this fandom & UTAUing in general, mostly because of my incapability to produce anything that reaches both my standards & the standards of this fandom, so I'm not sure if I can hold on much longer :/

Reactions: half a head

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
The fact I'm not the kind of person to abandon so quickly.

I'm like a mussel on a rock, always stuck, always passing through storms...

I think it's because it was a major turn in my life, incited more to go back to music and was in a certain way, a way to fulfill this old dream I get since I was a little child and that I won't probably be able to fulfill in its general/usual way...

And because I'm a perfectionist and I also hate failure and losing, so that may explain why despite every slap I take in the face, I keep working and doing my best, like if it was a fight. A fight where you need to fight until you beat down the enemy. The enemy being failure and bitterness of not managing things, and people having made fun of me and pushing me down. Another reason would be that for EVERYTHING I am acting this way due to some events in my life which led me to always show my potential at full and always have to do it to show people that I'm worthy. And because my idol was kinda the same kind of person so unconsciously it enforced it, I don't know.

Finally, I keep myself going in UTAU (and now Vocaloid for a few months) because I've met some good friends (even if I haven't talked in a while to half of them because life is being a bitch and makes everything to seperate me from people I love so meh.). And just for them I cannot give up. Never. And also, I've enough to be a coward unable to take a decision or produce great things.

Diagonal

Momo's Minion
What makes me keeps me going is the community, really. Mostly everyone in it is very supportive. I've met people through it that I share common interests and I consider them to be friends even thoughtheyprobablydon'tthinktheyare, they are. I haven't been able to make anything that compares to the other users, and I know it'll probably take some time for me to catch up, ormaybeI'llnevercatchup. Not really many people look at what I do, but when they do, I feel extremely happy, even if there's no positive comment about it. And when there is one, well, I feel like it's being appreciated and it makes me want to improve.

"Kuaramandora 3 weeks ago
i like your utau. it sounds nice. the name is cool too! :smile:
please keep on working!"

This is the only comment on my utsu's UTAU newcomer video, and it's what has kept me working on my utsu. Lately, however, I've been kinda straying off to be honest.. I get the feeling I'll never be able to catch up to others' levels. But I'll keep on trying because of the aforementioned.

I hope I made sense and didn't rant to the point it doesn't. ; ;

Hika421

Teto's Territory
Being quite blunt, when one starts being in UTAU for anything along the lines of:
  • being what the fandom wants
  • recognition and popularity
  • etc.
it makes the experience quite sour, and you won't be in for much longer. :annoyed:

I try to keep myself going with motives like:
  • hanging out with my friends
  • making gifts for my friends
  • teamwork
  • improving my skills (at my own pace, screw what the fandom wants) (that's why I'm on-and-off active)
  • learning from others
  • having fun
  • etc.
It's made my experience long and fulfilling. I have a great time, and while I'm not 100% dedicated and doing stuff all of the time, playing the game this way, I'd never want to leave. :love: So yeah! That last list is basically my list of tips for anyone that wants to make their time in this community a little more happy and healthy and keep it going?? In general, go easy on yourselves you guys. And have fun. Hobbies should be fun.

PuddingPuff

Teto's Territory
I get inspired by the many talented people in this community, from people that make amazing UTAUs, to great UTAU tuners, to wonderful singers and artists, to hardworking .ust creators, I think each and every one of them inspires and drives me to be better at what I do. To me, UTAU is like learning how to play an instrument; it takes time and practice to become really good at it. Of course, it's disheartening to feel inadequate, and to feel so invisible that your hard work goes unnoticed, but you ultimately have to look past all that keep going for different reasons rather then acknowledgement. You can't let other people serve as your motivation or validate your productivity. You need to do UTAU for you, and you can't let people -or a lack, thereof- get in the way of doing things your way.

Angel

Momo's Minion
To my misfortune, I'm the type of person who can pick up and drop off something instantly. Which means one minute I'm addicted to mahjong and the next like making paper airplanes. Only some things like anime and art live through my spontaneous cravings.

In UTAUs case many times I've wanted to leave but I can't leave my friends behind - the main reason why I stay here. Yeah, UTAU-ing is fun, but doing it with your friends is funner. >w<

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I feel like an oddball - I just really enjoy the program. I think it's super cool beyond imagination, and I love making my own voices (though I'm supremely lazy about it) and playing with others (which had more motivation than I did XD). And I like pitchbending and making USTs, though my attention span for those is bad.

It's also enjoyable to release USTs, because it makes people happy, fulfills something you've always wanted done (and possibly what others have always wanted), and hey it also has the benefit of getting your name around which gives you more people to appreciate your work, which sounds shallow but when I work hard on my USTs I really love it when people say they appreciate it.

I feel bad because it's not friends/community that make me stay in. ;; My friends are awesome people (if they even want to still consider BEING my friends at all because I've up and disappeared/said little in half a year pretty much), but I'm bad at commiting to a website for the sake of community.

So I still UTAU because I think UTAU is super coolio (And I have pretty much mastered it, unlike Vocaloid which is insufferably foreign to me and hard to use) and I just like to play with it period.

and secretly i want to show everyone that you don't have to use vipperloids or cover popular songs to be cool/good, i want to use a million utaus and show off their voices and not be shallow but i'm kinda shallow by wanting it but hey it's a goal i stride towards

Reactions: kimchi-tan

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
While the fandom as a whole does irk me for a lot of reasons, most people I've met in it are actually very nice. The elitism and/or obnoxiousness of a few people isn't enough to ruin my enjoyment.

But aside from that, I honestly enjoy using the program. I think it's a really awesome software and I love hearing my hard work pay off, even if I'm a nobody in the community.

I really love recording banks in different voices and tones and designing characters to go with them, and then making .usts and/or doing covers of my favourite songs, making reclists and doing trial and error for them to see how well they work, and listening to my improvement over the few years I've been working with this, not to mention hearing the positive feedback from others really boosts my confidence.

Aside from the tediousness of otoing [I don't mind the otoing itself, just the tediousness], I love almost everything about using this program.

And if something happens that drives me away from involvement in the fandom, then I probably won't cease making and posting my work, because I do it because I love it, and that's honestly what keeps me going.

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Well, I heard Teto and was thinking, 'is this a vocaloid?' And then when I looked up Teto, I realised that she was an Utau. And then I was thinking 'well, there are so many utau's, I want to have an Utau too'
And at the start, the first ever voice bank I recorded didn't even work, it sounded like it was sneezing, then I recorded it a second time, still terrible, but at least it didn't sneeze, then I recorded my third one, with a better quality microphone, and I put more effort into it, and I know its not the best and it probably never will be, but if I can make as good as I can, then I'm happy.
Also, if I never started using Utau, I would never have heard of utaforum and vocaloidotaku, and everyone on here is so supportive and helpful ^^

Misha

Momo's Minion
Like Shinami, I'm really just in it for the program.
It's egotistical to say I guess, but I really do love the sound of my own voice LMFAO I love to hear Hachi singing songs.

And thats why I don't think I'll ever /not/ use Utau. As long as nice songs are getting USTS, I'll always want to hear Hachi sing them : p

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I LOVE THIS DANG PROGRAM.

*ahem* UTAU is ungodly fun for me. I like to push myself and see how good I can get, how crazy of banks I can make, how emotional I can make a synthesized voice sound. The fact that I make friends and get nice comments and helpful criticisms doesn't hurt anything (it's a real help on my mental health, ha). I just like making voicebanks and tuning songs.

I think if you don't enjoy it for what it is, you shouldn't feel like you have to stick with it.

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
What keeps me going in this community is that I love music and creativity. UTAU was allowed my to experiment with things I never would've found myself with otherwise. I've never had a music class in my life or studied anything music related, but utau has taught me a lot of things. I think its nice seeing other people produce content that I can both enjoy, be inspired, and challenge myself.

UTAU to me is a never ending project and thats what I'm in it for. I can only improve and learn more each time I engage with this software and the community. I think everyone has something unique/amazing to offer to push the community forward, and thats what I'm here for. No one asked Cz to make an English reclist, TWICE, and share it. No one asked Kanru to created and share moresampler. Yet, they did, and we all benefit from their efforts.

So thats what keeps me going in this community

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I can't quite say... It's not like I'm really doing what I do for someone else, and what I'm about to say may seem stupid but...

Utau makes me happy. I've been obsessing over it for years with my own little fantasies of when I'd finally get a computer to use the program. Because of my friend and also my desire to express myself on my own(and my characters) I took drawing more seriously and began doing that extensively. With Utau I feel that everything artistic I could possibly be interested in(for the most part) can exist, like doing art, making music, developing stories and characters, all that stuff.

Now, my dream of getting to have an Utau was kind of.. Idk. Back then when my friend introduced it it was like we were way back in simpler times, like 2009, since we listened to those olden Utau and kind of had the idea that our Utau would have that feel..? Hard to describe lol

But anyway she's long given any of that stuff up, and I'm still here. Making an Utau and all the stuff I imagined required actual work, something I wasn't even really familiar with(as in I knew nothing about what it took to really make an Utau). I'm not really popular and don't have any true skills when it comes to Utau, mixing, tuning, sometimes my art is really passable, and that's it. I have friends in Utau but honestly most aren't really that supportive(still nice people, they just don't really care ig). So basically it's like there's nothing keeping me going. However...

Despite all that I seem to have hope. Even if it seems futile, even if it seems stupid, it's still there. I don't even know what I'm hoping for, but unlike many I've met in this community it seems, I subconsciously decided that I want to develop my skills for my benefit. I want to take care of myself and be functional in every way I can. I want to be satisfied with my own work instead of shying away from the things I produce. If I meet some really nice people, I will be grateful, if some people like my content, I will be grateful. But instead of solely focusing on mattering to others, I want to be satisfied with myself. Another thing that keeps me going are my inspirations. I've probably obsessed over every one of my friend's videos lol I look at old videos from 2009 she did, to 2017, and every one of her skills have improved. Back then Darling was just another Utau, now she's loved in many ways, and most importantly Kumori loves her and her own work, and that's the kind of thing that keeps me going. So there will be a day that I finally achieve all that I've been searching for, working for, and each failure is only a stepping stone for success, so I just can't stop here, and hopefully I never will.

Well that all was probably terrible but I just felt inspirational for some reason, thx for listening to my babbles >=<

Arissa for President

P

partial

Interesting thread.

What I like about UTAU is what it offers the average person. Tons of voices to choose from, and the ability to create. While I always admired the concept of UTAU, I never wanted to create my own. It's the amazing things others do that really keeps me interested. The reclists, moresampler, UTAU English is the biggest.

I'm thankful for UTAU because even when I didn't have my own, and even when I didn't really make covers (I still rarely do), it gives me so many fun characters to draw and people to meet. UTAU and the characters I've seen here have helped me majorly improve my art, and I'm thankful for that. I have so many fun characters to draw (and it's even better when there's a song I can hear them sing in) and so much to learn it's hard for me to get bored.

I've made valuable friends in this community like @Sors, @Disty, @Melomad, @Kiyoteru, and many more. Even someday if I don't want to be involved with UTAU anymore, I won't forget the progress and the friends I have made because of it.

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
Well, I have a lot of fun with UTAU and I feel like with so many languages and new songs and new voicebanks constantly coming out, there's always something new to be interested in with the program.

But hypothetically, if I just became entirely disinterested in the program itself, probably what would make me stay in the community would be my friends :0

Last edited:

MintyR

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
What keeps me going is my need and want to improve my UTAU and also I really enjoy it. It gives me something interesting to do, also this inspires me to learn music (especially learn the piano again) and learn how to sing again.

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
FAME
Kidding!! I just think it's pretty fun making USTS and having my voice that isn't actually my voice sing good! i've actually always wanted to make my own voicebank but only really got the hang of it recently. I just love the things you can do and it's a good hobby.

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
The honest answer? I don't really know. I'm ready to quit today, if I'm being serious. It's a good distraction when I don't want to do schoolwork, but I don't have much interest in the program itself anymore.
Maybe it's because this is how I met people for the first time. I have no other way to connect with others online (no other social media accounts; didn't get permission yet). If I gave this up, I'd pretty much give everything up, and I don't want to lose that. I don't want to leave the people I've met, even if I never post and never do anything.

Reactions: Nohkara and partial