What's the best mic options for recording an Utau?

Beikon

Teto's Territory
After Christmas and a new job I have a bit of money to spare and would like the community's advice on this. I've been exploring old forums about mic options but the all seem pretty outdated. My budget is $200 and I hope that can get something pretty decent :P

Skiyoshi 十三

Lotus#12915
Defender of Defoko
The thing with this kind of question, is that it is so flexible or there's no real solid answer. In this community people use all sorts of microphones, from usbs to XLRs. What'll likely be recommended is an XLR with an interface because it is clearer or just generally better than a usb. But if you can't find an xlr and interface with your budget, someone here who is knowledgable in microphones will help you find the best USB mic for your budget.

Another thing to consider is your recording environment, because believe it or not that makes an amazing difference. Maybe look up how to pick a decent recording space as well?

Sorry I didn't give you a good answer. I am not too knowledgable in mics and know their technicalities. I recommend looking up utau and finding their respective microphones used to get a general idea of what the quality will end up being.

Reactions: Beikon and Nohkara

Beikon

Teto's Territory
It's alright thanks for the reply at least c: my room is fairly quiet without much echo so I should be fine on that. That and I know how to fix small imperfections after recording I just need a mic upgrade because I'm currently just using a headset xD

Kuku Klock

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I personally think its more of "where and how" you record verses "What mic you use"
So far I've used like 4 mics in my eight to niney ears of utauing and i have to say, my cheapest mic gave me the best quality.

$6 headset (In a quite ish room)
female-
Male-
$50 Snowball-
female:-
Male:
$100 Yeti-
Female:
Male: https://soundcloud.com/kuku_klock/some-kurushimi-incubus-demos

(Gave both genders cause reasons) (But I still think my lil $6 one is better than my yeti most times)

Reactions: Beikon

Beikon

Teto's Territory
I'm alright when it comes to the where and how I believe. I just want to sound a bit better :P this is where I am now

Izua

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I would highly recommend the Blue Yeti. It seems to be a favorite in the community and although it's a bit pricey it should still be in your range. If you set it up properly then there is almost virtually no background noise, save for anything too big and obvious that might be happening in the background, and the quality is seriously amazing. I just got the Blue Yeti about three days ago and I can really see what the hype is about. Just a suggestion though hehe ^^

Reactions: partial and Beikon

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It depends what you can afford.
You can't say what's the best mic for anything because for you that could be a $100 or $1000 mic.

Imho, the Blue Yeti is overpriced and it's a good mic at all given it's competition.

That being said, the MXL 008 is a usb mic that sounds pretty damn god compared to everything else in the price range.
With the money you save by not going for the flashy brand you can get a mic stand and a pop filter.

Reactions: Beikon and Kiyoteru

Beikon

Teto's Territory
Alright I'll look into both of those options. I've heard of the blue snowball before and have a bit of stigma when reading reviews that revealed the actual mic to be smaller than the one on my headset xD thanks for the replies guys

Reactions: Skiyoshi 十三

Beikon

Teto's Territory
Went a bit over my budget and got the yeti pro and a pop filter with it. It wasn't ultimately my decision because my boyfriend refused to have me settle for a regular yeti xD I'm hoping it turns out well

Reactions: Skiyoshi 十三

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The Yeti Pro is literally 100% the same as the Yeti, same sound any everything.
You spent double for them to add an XLR port that costs them less than a $1.

If you can you should at least cancel the order and get a regular Yeti since they are basically exactly the same.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
oh well poop lol.

That's weird that your boyfriend is basically making you get the mic you don't want though...

Beikon

Teto's Territory
As long as I get a better mic I'm happy xD We'll both be using it so I guess he kinda has a say in this as well, despite the two being nearly identical. There are a few things that are different with the pro such as being able to record at 4 times the rate as the standard (I honestly don't know what any of this means it sounds so farfetched from the purpose of the mic, which is to record for UTAU) and there are a few physical differences in color and material but nothing that makes you need to spend an extra ~$100 on it