What's your recording process like?

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by riptunes, Jan 15, 2017.

1. riptunes

riptunes Teto's Territory Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Any rituals, things you do before you get started, prayers to the vocal gods

How do you make sure you have a clear sound, stay on pitch, keep the same tone (especially for voiceacting)

Basically what do you do before and during the time you make a voicebank!

Kiyoteru and azazel like this.
    6_Jpop CDJapan
  3. Erin

Erin Glitter and Death Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    recording process:
    1. suddenly get hit with motivation
    2. plug mic in
    3. open audacity
    4. record whatever kinda voicebank i want to do at the moment. its always cvvc. never anything else.
    5. cry

4. riptunes

Trophy Points
    Mine always skips 4! "OTL

Haichou and TrebleConfections like this.
  5. Kuro Cure

Kuro Cure Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    First I start with vocal warmups, then I listen to a bunch of covers to see what kind of bank I want to do, then I record! I usually finish 2-3 pitches per sitting, but lately, I've been relatively attention deficit xD

kimchi-tan, azazel and riptunes like this.
  6. azazel

azazel Multipitch VCV Master Race Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    selling ur soul

Before I record a voicebank, I tend to drink a frickton of water, clear my throat a lot of times, and try to sing out the pitch I'm recording at before diving into the recording stuff. I also make sure that the mic I want to use is plugged in.

During recording, I take deep breaths to not make my voice sound like it's fading, though I do that at the higher pitches like F4. Not to mention drinking lots of water too since my throat tends to dry up.

It'd take me only a few hours to record a single VCV pitch without any interruptions. With interruptions such as going somewhere while I was recording, It'd take only a day (since on Christmas Day, I went to visit my relatives, which cut off a moderate chunk of recording time). If interruptions were frequent, it'd take probably a few days to finish it.

Hazu パワ and riptunes like this.
  7. Animé Fan

Animé Fan Head of the Shonen Academy Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I always make sure I've eaten and drank enough and wait at least 5-10 minutes before I start recording. The same process applies during food and drink breaks while recording. If I record shortly after a water break, my voice won't be consistent.

Since CVs are generally short and simple, I do long recordings for each vowel sets (e.g. a's, e's, etc). But with other formats, I do the traditional method and record the samples one at a time. Since I do vocal impressions, the recording process varies on the type of voice I'm using.

Mitt64, riptunes and azazel like this.
  8. riptunes

Trophy Points
    How long does that take you? :00 and the covers thing is awesome!

Really thorough description thank you! (Do you ever need to pee mid-session because of all the water?)

I'm interested to hear what your process for any vocal impression is like for say, a solid/vivid sounding bank (using append terms because I dont know how else to describe them)

azazel likes this.
  9. Kuro Cure

Trophy Points
    If I get free time, I'll record what I actually sound like when I'm trying to figure out a tone to record, hehe. And by that I mean //side eyes at my mom wondering when she's gonna go out again//

riptunes and azazel like this.
  10. riptunes

Trophy Points
    That would be super helpful, thanks! I'd love to hear it!

11. IrisFlower

IrisFlower Precious Flower with Thorns Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    My process is something like:
    1. Have a glass of water nearby, take a sip or two and clear the throat first.
    2. Make sure my dog is either a)not nearby or b)is in a spot where she won't shake making her collar jingle lol
    3. Open up all necessary programs and plug mic in
    5. Some kinda vocal warmup that doubles as a mic check
    6. Record!!
    7. Assume something goes wrong at this point. It can be anything really. Dogs barked. Files don't sound like they should. Someone came home. Whatever.
    8. Recording Attempt #2
    9. Usually things are good enough now and it's time to actually oto and test.
    10. Rinse repeat after a break if applicable.

I don't make a habit of pushing myself during recording because it's not worth it; I like to keep things pretty relaxed. So I tend not to do more than 2 sessions in one sitting and most sessions don't last longer than an hour and a half. Shortest ones are like 15 minutes. And my dogs always do something to either contaminate or interrupt my recording so I tend to plan things around them most of all lol

Hazu パワ, riptunes and azazel like this.
  12. azazel

azazel Multipitch VCV Master Race Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    YEE sometimes I drink too much water to the point where I really need to pee really bad

Hazu パワ and riptunes like this.
  13. riptunes

Trophy Points
    Ahaha yeah dogs can be a problem too sometimes. ^^ But our dogs are pretty mellow most of the time fortunately! Thanks for sharing!

Hazu パワ likes this.
  14. Kuro Cure

Trophy Points
    My dog normally isn't an issue, but he did not take too kindly to me recording my E5 pitch the other day xD

Hazu パワ, riptunes and azazel like this.
  15. Animé Fan

Animé Fan Head of the Shonen Academy Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    My UTAU D.T.'s GOLD Append is proof of how I recorded a strong, two-pitch CVVC voicebank with this process. Otherwise, doing such voices is generally difficult with my brothers playing PC games and yelling in the back.

16. Erin

Erin Glitter and Death Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Oh, as for recording times.
    CV - 4-5 minutes.
    CVVC - 3-4 minutes.
    VCV - 12-16 minutes.

Naturally 1 pitch. I don't do vocal warmups because im irresponible and shouldn't be allowed to record.
    I also don't take breaks in the middle of pitchs. I only stop when 1 pitch is fully complete.

17. Hazu パワ

Hazu パワ Weeaboo yet not Weeaboo Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I first do random singing to find the voice I'm looking to record for(after I have water at the ready and make sure the room is at a decent temperature)- I then test my mic to see if it's plugged up correctly. If it's VCV I'm most likely going to try to do it in one go and only take me about 30mins-1h for one pitch.

18. Kassandra

Kassandra Guest

I've been extremely lazy recently, but I used to use this warm up video

azazel and Hazu パワ like this.
  19. Hazu パワ

Hazu パワ Weeaboo yet not Weeaboo Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Forgot to mention that I speed up by instinct while recording so sometimes I have to stop and realize it and then try to slow down again. If I get the same things wrong repeatedly there's a huge rage(I think I literally cried once)- My game rages are no where near my recording rages. : X

20. Kassandra

Kassandra Guest

I also took choir for a year in high school so that got me into warm ups lol

azazel likes this.
  21. CarrotBunz

CarrotBunz Trash Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    1. Get motivated
    2. Forget to warm up or warm up badly
    3. Try to record in oremo
    4. Give up for a min
    5. Repeat 3
    6. Finish
    7. Either dislike the outcome and repeat 3 and 4, or leave it alone for an hour or so
    8. Repeat
    But seriously i really need to warm up better before i record

Hazu パワ and azazel like this.