Who's had any previous or current real-life musical training?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cine, May 7, 2016.

1. Cine

Cine Certified paint water drinker. Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    i.e. School, clubs, choir, or personal trainers?
    This might have been asked before but I'm curious to see how many other users have any classical musical experience outside of UTAU.

I was a choir kid ( I'm an kinda-alto ) and did more contemporary vocal classes in high school. I also had a guitar tutor when I was young, but he wasn't great. And I can play the flute.

3. Nanika

Nanika Lame Vocaloid Producer Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    ohh,, at school i'm in the orchestra(which of course they teach us how to play and taught us music theory)
    Plus, I have a piano teacher. ^0^

4. Cine

Cine Certified paint water drinker. Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    WOW! That's awesome and your dedication is awesome! I hope things go well for you.
    Music theory was my strongest skill back in high school but the rest of my classmates hated it.

5. comet3

comet3 local rain enthusiast Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    yaaasss music nerds in the house. i've been taking piano lessons for about 10 years (since i was 5), learning flute for 4, trumpet for a little less than 1, and oboe for a few months. (i also have a tiny bit of experience with alto sax, guitar, clarinet, and violin :smile:) i'm in a specialized arts school rn and i plan to pursue music as a career actually! not to brag, but our concert bands are pretty good :shades:
    @Usami i definitely agree with what you've said about music theory. it can be difficult to grasp but is honestly so important and useful once you've got it. as well, i think that theory can really be helpful in utau, especially for making usts and the like.

6. sailor _ravioli

sailor _ravioli Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I played the flute for about a year until i quit band bc THE BRASS SECTION KEPT GETTING THE CLASS SILENT BAND LIKE EVERY CLASS > : ((((((
    I started playing guitar for school in 8th grade still do that occasionally

partial likes this.
  7. Row 4 Project Official

Row 4 Project Official Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I have played the saxophone for about 8 years, and I’m required to have vocal lessons as a part of my major so there’s that . Edit: musical theory has just kind of applied itself to my brain when I do my arrangement (score) work and such haha.

8. Haichou

Haichou Tutor Tutor Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I've played the flute for... 6 years, maybe? has it actually been that long?? time flies
    I took music theory last year, and I'm in the AP version of it this year. I took guitar lessons for a year. Couldn't get the hang of it at all. My hands were too small, and my motivation was too low.
    I also did chorus in 5th grade and ended up in the mezzo-soprano range somehow ^^; I don't think I can ever do it again, though. I can't read sheet music when it comes to vocals; I have to rely entirely on pitch. I have to hear whatever song we're doing (in the key we're doing it in) and match what I hear, which has... not been ideal lately.

9. Dangosan

Dangosan Jellie Bellie Pete Rat Gummie Candie Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I took piano lessons between 6th and 7th grade. Have been experimenting with pianos before that.
    I have been also in school choirs from 6th grade and most of high school (+ a temporary church choir for Passiontide and Easter 2012)