Would it be safe trying to run UTAU on a Chromebook?

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
Soo, I've mentioned multiple times that the only computers I have access to are a Mac (which is not mine) and a school-issued Chromebook (Dell 11). The Mac being where I make covers and the Chromebook being where I mix.

The reason for this is because my dad uses the Mac for homework and studying which typically takes the entire day, so I only get about an hour a day with UTAU if I'm lucky. Mostly this is just frustrating because I have to wait to use the Mac and normally I don't get to get much done. So, I'm considering trying to run Windows 10 on the Chromebook (or Mac OS because I'm more used to UTAU Synth), so I can do Utau stuff all I want without bothering my dad,

But, since the Chromebook is school-issued and we use it for school stuff, I can get into trouble for breaking it beyond usage. The punishment will likely just be paying for a new one, but still, my parents won't be happy. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew:

What are the odds that trying to do this would irreparably damage the Chromebook beyond use? (A few kinks while still being usable would probably be ok. they replace them yearly anyway.) A lot of tutorials I've read say that it could potentially be bad, so idk.

Also, which is safer, Windows of Mac OS? And have any of you done this before? If I do this, will UTAU run like normal or will it be choppy, super limited and weird? I'm aware that doing this will wipe my laptop, I have my stuff backed up online it's good.

Am I better off just begging for another laptop or

I'm sorry for all the questions and the long post but I'm just really unsure how to proceed

Thank you in advance (@ ̄Д ̄@;)

Reactions: sailor _ravioli

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Are you planning on dual booting Windows on your Chromebook?
i did a quick google and these things might help:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-install-windows-chromebook/
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrultrabook/comments/3h1wgf/dell_chromebook_11_wolf_now_supported_with/
UTAU should run fine on windows if it all goes well
it might be worth the risk but???
you could always install ubuntu and run utau through wine?? (but that could create further problems so probably not recommended)
https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/795730-how-to-easily-install-ubuntu-on-chromebook-with-crouton
http://utau.wikia.com/wiki/Installing_UTAU_on_Ubuntu

ive never done anything like this before but i hope this helps!! i would trust someone else's advice over mine tbh
EDIT
you could try to save for a laptop if it becomes a hassle to do this
its not much but its ok if you plan on just doing UTAU/mixing
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0167W1VAM/?tag=utau-20

Last edited:

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
I'ts been quite a while since I've read about Chromebooks, but IIRC you can't load any OS you want because of the locked bootloader. You can, however, but them into a "developer mode" which you can then install Linux from (and possibly Windows, but I never remember anyone doing that). If you do that, Chrome OS is gone, I believe, and you get a warning screen every time you start the laptop. You can, however, reinstall Chrome again. Another method that's out there for installing Linux (and evidently Windows) is replacing the laptop's custom bootloader with a modified version of Coreboot. This, if executed correctly, would yield essentially a fully functional laptop, which could run windows, Linux, etc. and even dual boot between those. But, flashing a boot loader like that is a very risky process, and if you don't do it just right, you'll brick your computer. So I would really not recommend going that route, especially on a school-owned machine. I would think twice even doing the developer mode, as if you get caught running Linux instead of Chrome on it, they might think you're trying to hack the school WiFi or something like that, and take your laptop because of potential security issues. Keep in mind that on top of that, a lot of school admins will install tracking software onto laptops (and presumably Chromebooks) that could see that something going isn't so with the 'book, and alert the admins. This stuff isn't without reason, as introducing another OS to the school's possibly protected networks that wasn't intended to be there by the admins creates a security hole that could be exploited (this is especially true with Windows, and a big reason schools switch to Chromebooks is security).

TL;DR Not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing. Even then, double check if your school uses remote admin software (not by asking them!) and make sure that all school programs are compatible, and possibly install a Chrome OS theme on your Linux distro as to make things look OK.

Last edited:

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i ran it on my old chromebook and it worked ok but i did it with linux it much less intensive works better on the limited recourcces of the chromebook
i wouldnt reccomend it but its very possible i really think you would be better off saving for a cheap laptop that could run your tasks a bit better

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
i wouldnt reccomend it but its very possible i really think you would be better off saving for a cheap laptop that could run your tasks a bit better
This is definitely your best option. I know this is probably out of your budget, but see what you can do. For about $100 you can get a tablet/laptop convertible from wal-mart, I have one and it's pretty much the best cheap computer you can get new, Utau and FL studio work good on it. If you look around, you might be able to find an old, but serviceable, laptop for much less, especially if you don't mind doing repair. Check eBay and local thrift stores, sometimes they can have things.

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
This is definitely your best option. I know this is probably out of your budget, but see what you can do. For about $100 you can get a tablet/laptop convertible from wal-mart, I have one and it's pretty much the best cheap computer you can get new, Utau and FL studio work good on it. If you look around, you might be able to find an old, but serviceable, laptop for much less, especially if you don't mind doing repair. Check eBay and local thrift stores, sometimes they can have some things.
To add to this if you have a big GoodWill store near by check the tech center or whatever its called they always have decent laptops there for cheap

Haruna-Chan

Ruko's Ruffians
Good no critantes changes between Utau for Mac and for Windows in visual, but a giant in plugins, differentiates, VoiceBanks tools, and some Wavtool Resamplers. With about 3 days of use you must get used to of course if it's 1.48e version and you must adapt as quickly.
but I'd be careful to move the operating system of chromeBook

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
To add to this if you have a big GoodWill store near by check the tech center or whatever its called they always have decent laptops there for cheap
^
If you live in a larger city there's a decent chance you have one of these Goodwill electronics stores nearby. I had the privilege to visit one of these, I got a decent repairable laptop for $30. Keep an eye out for business grade laptops, namely ThinkPads, and Dell Latitudes. These will be built much better than a consumer laptop, be easier to repair, and probably last longer too. Remember to Google the model to see if it's a lemon before you buy it, so you can see what you're up against.

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
Ah, ok so I guess it really would be better to just try for another laptop then. My school does monitor our chromebooks pretty heavily, and I haven't done this before so.

:0 Welp, thanks for the help guys, I'll just try to get my hands on another laptop

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Ah, ok so I guess it really would be better to just try for another laptop then. My school does monitor our chromebooks pretty heavily, and I haven't done this before so.

:0 Welp, thanks for the help guys, I'll just try to get my hands on another laptop
No problem! If you need help with anything else dont hesitate to ask!

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko

dont get too discoraged it IS possible it just takes lots of steps and it would probably be better to just buy a laptop but if its really what you wanna do i think you should just go for it

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You can get Windows Intel Atom powered tablets/laptops for as low as $210. Back in the day Atom laptops were quite shitty, but the new Bay Trail Atom CPUs are Quad-Core have decent clock speeds and are overall not bad for their cost.

Your main limitation will be the 2GB of RAM rather than the CPU. I own both an Asus Tranformer and a Dell Venue 8 with this CPU and they aren't bad. Make sure you get the 64GB version however. 32GB is too small and you will be in for a bad time with that small of an SSD.

Speaking of low cost devices a favorite of my is the Cube i7 Stylus. It is a Chinese tablet that has the same Core M processor seen in some MacBooks, the same 1080P Samsung display & Wacom Digitizer seen in the Surface Pro 1 & 2, all for less than $350, sometimes as low as $300.

With its Wacom Digitizer its a great little tablet for aspiring artists, could recoup some of its costs with commissions down the road. Takes all the standard Wacom EMR pens if you have one already. Otherwise there a wide variety of pens you can buy (doesn't come with a pen standard).

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Chromebooks are nothing more than big toys IMO, they can't even do actual work correctly.
Trying to run utau on one of those POSes would be like trying to run it on an ipad.

Now if it were a personal chromebook then you could install linux (and have driver issues like the touch pad not working) or possibly windows (and have even more driver issues). Plus on linux Utau is clunky af and slow.

You'd be better off getting like a used/refurb Thinkpad T420 than dealing with all the tomfoolery that you would otherwise encounter.

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
Chromebooks are nothing more than big toys IMO, they can't even do actual work correctly.
Trying to run utau on one of those POSes would be like trying to run it on an ipad.

Now if it were a personal chromebook then you could install linux (and have driver issues like the touch pad not working) or possibly windows (and have even more driver issues). Plus on linux Utau is clunky af and slow.

You'd be better off getting like a used/refurb Thinkpad T420 than dealing with all the tomfoolery that you would otherwise encounter.
Agree. My choice would be either to get a refurb Thinkpad (t420 is good, but from a kid's budget can still be too pricey), or this 2 in 1 I mentioned earlier, as it's a pretty decent laptop and is pretty much identical to the Asus Hentai mentioned, except it only has 32gb of storage. It also seems to be built better than the Asus (I've had both, the Asus Transformer would develop "phantom touching" if you would bump it too hard, and require a new screen).

And these tablet/laptop computers get battery life anywhere from good to absolutely insane. You can charge them at night, and run 'em almost all day without a cord.

Last edited:

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Agree. My choice would be either to get a refurb Thinkpad (t420 is good, but from a kid's budget can still be too pricey), or this 2 in 1 I mentioned earlier, as it's a pretty decent laptop and is pretty much identical to the Asus Hentai mentioned, except it only has 32gb of storage. It also seems to be built better than the Asus (I've had both, the Asus Transformer would develop "phantom touching" if you would bump it too hard, and require a new screen).

And these tablet/laptop computers get battery life anywhere from good to absolutely insane. You can charge them at night, and run 'em almost all day without a cord.

0S5spVm.jpg

This should get the job done! Just another option for those on a tight budget.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
32GB Windows devices are a bad time. Like a really bad time. Windows, after updates, page files, /install/ folder, etc. inflates to take up almost the entire SSD. Otherwise for $99 that looks like a great device! Just know you will need a MicroSD card to store anything as you will only have like 2GB free on the OS partition.

I love my Dell Venue 8 (can be found for $100 refurb) but holy hell its 32GB storage is the bane of my existence. Not even a 128GB MicroSD card can help it without A LOT of SymLinking. I really wish I had gotten 64GB, managing a ton of linked folders is a pain in the arse. You can get by on 32GB but it sucks juggling that storage.

2nding recommendation of Thinkpad T420. I love Thinkpads, the T420 has great performance for its refurb price and a lot of them were made, making them easy to find. Plus Thinkpads have next level build quality. Still using my old as hell Thinkpad 201t.

Last edited: