YOHIOloid

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So everyone, VO likely has been talking about this forever and everyone probably knows but me since I only found out today, but YOHIOloid's design was leaked alongside a voice demo. Here it is:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN0nEyuHEm4[/video]

Opinions? Good, bad, anything?

My opinion (Don't open unless you're okay with slight ranting and opinions):

Mine so far...I think I really like him from what we've seen, which is only one song so I can't judge 100% yet (Like how Kaito V3 had some fantastic demos but the final product wasn't as great IN MY OPINION don't kill me). He's the first V3 I've looked forward too since...well, I liked every other language one (SeeU, Luo Tianyi, Bruno, Clara, and Oliver), but I haven't really cared for a single Japanese one in all of V3, new AND remakes.

Everyone knows the spiel of how most of the females sound the same, so I won't say that, but I've been disappointed with V3 males for a few reasons I guess? First off is that they've all been remakes, so I guess YOHIO has a benefit in that we don't already have expectations, which I had for VY2, Gakupo, and Kaito. And all three of them (VY2 to a miniscule amount) don't sound like themselves. I really had a beef with Kaito and Gakupo, who before sounded like MEN, were now reduced to...teenager/young adult? I prefer their old versions immensely.

But yeah, so YOHIO is new so I don't have that disappointment to feel (and probably I would have really liked Gakupo and Kaito V3 if their V2s hadn't existed). And I'm liking it so far. Only thing that's odd to me are his Ts, but whatever, accent pickyness.

With his English...it's hard to tell? This song wasn't a good demo for that. Unless they get a demo out for that I can't make a solid judgement, and if there was way more english in this song than I thought there was, then it feels pretty Luka-level. ;;

And if people are really into the compare voices thing...I've seen people compare him to Piko and Lily? I can't see Piko too much aside from possibly vocal inflection, but I do see the Lilyness, though how much of that may be mixing/V3 engine overall is unclear. Whatever, he's a guy, we don't have enough, and he found a niche that doesn't have a voice yet.

(Hopefully ZOLA follows YOHIO in interestingness, seeing as how they're a trio of guys and illustrated by freaking Yoshitaka Amano, the guy who does Final Fantasy... Though I insanely hope at least one of them is V2 Gakupo deep because I'm sick of high V3 males...)

...And now that I think about it, it isn't even just the males, ALL V3 banks have that high, airy, lack of fullness...is it the engine or something? I do miss the full nasalness of V1 and V2 even if the voices weren't as technically HQ.
i should stop bemoaning the end of a generation that happened two years ago orz

Ah, I ranted and raved. Everyone else?

XJM

Teto's Territory
He sounds great but I'm guessing this is just a demo of his Japanese VB so I'll just wait for an English demo (or even a demo of both voicebanks hehehe) to really be able to form a solid opinion. Though, from what I heard here, he may be a nice addition. A nice mid-range voice, like this, would be perfect.

Ono

Teto's Territory
I'm pretty satisfied with YOHIOloid. It's his design that bothers me a bit. It looks kinda plain. I feel that there should have been more done with it.

I've heard some negative comments about YOHIOloid around lately. To be honest, I think he's one of the best male releases yet. Judging from his leaked video though. But then again I should wait until more covers come out to make a judgement like that. I don't wanna end up disappointed like I was with SeeU.

ScandinavianSweetie

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I don't see why so many people are hating on his design. I like it; it's plain, but not TOO plain. It's really different from the other Vocaloid designs, too.

His voice is really good; it's a nice medium.

Also, I'm conflicted if I should get him or not. I'm Swedish myself, so I feel a bit obligated... XD But I don't wanna get him and then be disappointed. (It happened to me with SeeU.)

Anyway, all in all, I like him and can't wait to see more of him. :smile:

Rai

Teto's Territory
I quite like his design, but then I'm a sucker for anything with grey or black lol. With the voice sample I heard, might not be this one, his voice seemed kinda...meh not bad but not amazing. Might just be from desensitization to Vocaloid voices.

Just wondering, did anyone here create designs for YOHIOloid? If so, I'd like to see other entries if you wouldn't mind posting them.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Honestly, the thing that totally annoyed me to no end, was all the drama and small wars about the winning artist's artstyle before the design being leaked .-.
While in all honesty, even if there are flaws, it's not as huge as some I've used to see in my opinion...

Other thing, I don't understand why people compare him to a Male!Lily voicewise... Because when I heard it the first time, I heard NOTHING of it as both Lily and her genderbent don't have the same pronunciation (and of course accent) as YOHIOloid x_x"' I'd say if there's a thing that they both share, it'd be the lock near to the nose and eventually the colour scheme (though it's still different because Lily is black, white and lemon-to-honey yellow, whereas YOHIOloid is anthracite, pearl grey and rather light golden than yellow -picky with colours, yes I know)...

About the design justly, I like it. Of course it's not as elaborated and colorful as my favourite Vocaloids.... But at the same time, I don't find it boring at all~ Then about the voice.... I think it was exactly like what I've expected. A male voice between Piko and VY2 voiceranges and voicetypes, as I felt when I listened to a few songs sung by his voicer. Although, there's a thing I already noticed with Piko, is that YOHIOloid sounds a little bit higher-pitched than his voicer... Well, not like SUPRA-TWO-OCTAVES-UP-DAMN-BOY, but the voicer has a lower voice then the Vocaloid o_o"' Probably the engine or the way YOHIO recorded him... Or why not, the fact on this demo YOHIOloid sounded this way...

However, for some reasons, I feel like he doesn't sound that much clear in Recovery, which is quite sorrowful because he has a nice floating tone and the song is epic ;_; But well, demos aren't 100% the same as the originals and covers you can make once the voicebank is released and used... I'll keep an eye on him and see how it'll grow then...

Nonetheless, I found pretty funny and interesting the fact some people pictured him as a doppelgänger x'D

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I love this design!! I've seen some other good ones, but this one stood out to me because it wasn't too flamboyant ( I like the simple but memorable look like Yuki, Oliver, Prima, Bruno/Clara, ect.). I think the lily comparison comes from him holding a cd and the way the belts fall across his hips.

I really want to hear is english voicebank T.T.

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I like Yohioloid, I'm glad we have another V3 male and this time not just an upgrade haha

I do like the winning entry. It's nice and simple, not too flamboyant. Probably because there will also be professionals using this product? The little cube guy is a nice touch

And yeah, I hope to hear an English demo soon.

Qubilu

Momo's Minion
Don't hate me for saying this but, YOHIOloid's voice is decent. But he's character design kinda looks a bit adult/grown up/mature Len. Don't Hate! :bigtears:
This is only one random person's opinion so... if anyone is YOHIOloid's fangirl already, please don't kill me! >.<

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I am totally honest when saying that:

YOHIOLOID design is pretty bland. It reminded me Lily's speakers from her boxart.

About the voice..... same voicetype as Piko.... I don't listen to anything interesting in his voice; considering he is a J-rock singer I expected more power on his voice, yet is another middle-tone mellow voice like most V3's. At least he was not hella muffled like OLIVER.

I can only see YOHIOLOID as the "safe move with a nice hook" by VOCATONE.

Ryuuoh DeltaPlus

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
TO be honest, I really like this new Vocaloid, since it's a new addition to the (in my opinion) very few male Japanese Vocaloid VBs that's out there. And thankfully, he is, well, manly.

The design doesn't really bother me, though I have read a lot of negative comments about the picking of the winning design and the runner ups. In fact, a friend of mine who joined the design contest went full-blast rage ranting that the winning design sucks, and that the said person is bitter that her contest entry didn't win. Which I find kind of silly (no sportsmanship much?).

XJM

Teto's Territory
The design doesn't really bother me, though I have read a lot of negative comments about the picking of the winning design and the runner ups. In fact, a friend of mine who joined the design contest went full-blast rage ranting that the winning design sucks, and that the said person is bitter that her contest entry didn't win. Which I find kind of silly (no sportsmanship much?).

Seems like you see sore losers/poor sportsmanship in pretty much any kind of competitive activity. But really... seems like, in this instance, people might have forgotten that it's about the voice and not the boxart (which I have very little interest in). The design is nice... But I'm more interested in his voice (which sounds pretty decent imo).

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Yeah, which was deeply sorrowful... I mean, you didn't win, deal with it, don't spread your rage at the winner's face =C

Also wondering when we'll have a new demo~ I am getting slightly more curious about it...

Yokeijimi

Teto's Territory
About the design, Yohio himself actually looked at the entries and presumably helped with choosing one. If I've understood Anders words right atleast OTL

Also to point out he is not a naitive japanese speaker, he learnt it in sweden, started when he was 14? i don't remember but it was somewhere around there.

And when he preformed in Melodifestivalen his english was pretty good, but like, maybe he have a (for me) unoticible swedish acent?

Idk man.

As for opinions i think it's nice having another male vocaloid, since there have been so many females, especialy breathy soft highpitched voices. But he sound kinda like Piko, who in his turn sound like lily so

well i want more english V3 females so i shouldn't say something i guess.

AlphaUtau

Teto's Territory
I really love Yohio, so I love Yohioloid too, actually I'm happy there's a new male Vocaloid and I like his voice. I've no problems with his design, even tough there were some entries I liked better.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Ok, for random reasons, I feel like as soon as people get YOHIO, he'll risk to cover Fuldans and Caramelldansen *shotdown*