Your Unpopular UTAU opinions

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by kimchi-tan, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Alessandra

Alessandra Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Yes @Kiyoteru Hiyama

2. Izua

Izua Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    OKAY SO I haven't really read many of the comments on this thread so I'm sure most of my opinions have already been stated at least once or twice here, since they're fairly common actually.

1. I find the whole 15-20+ pitch UTAU thing to be extremely overdone and hardly useful in the least, for numerous reasons. (Now that I scroll back up I see that this is stated several times sorrysorrysorry)
    2. Kissing up to those of a more well known status or whatever will not make you popular, just like spamming yourself all over UTAU related social media won't immediately gain you publicity.
    3. CVVC can be just as smooth as VCV.
    4. I feel like the overly Vocaloid-esque design a lot of people give their UTAU is overdone and also at the same time kind of lazy, creatively speaking. I feel like UTAUloids should have more creative designs that suit them for who they are, not for the vocaloid stereotype they might sometimes be associated with. (By vocaloid-esque, I mean mostly the 4644643 UTAU concepts you see on the wiki that are only a stone's throw away from being Miku/Kagamine Twins knockoffs.)

3. Alessandra

Trophy Points
    I also have to say sorry because this is unpopular too. think that the -ne xxx is tooooooooooooooo used... and sometimes also uselessly used. Like, for example... Why Kasane, Momone, Sukone, Namine, Yamine etc.? And also it can be sometimes stupid. Yamine=sound of darkness... but why, if Renri's voice is all but darkness? And why EVERYTIME Japanese names even if sometimes we have the accentish UTAU? It's not for discriminating all foreign (I'm foreign), but it's a paradox

Chianachini likes this.
  4. Arissa

Arissa Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    These sound more like popular Utau opinions(I agree tho)

5. Alessandra

Trophy Points
    Also I think that it's kinda useless to create toooooooooooooooo many VBs fir a character...

6. Kiera Brand

Kiera Brand Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I love using them because I don't like human sounding UTAU

7. Iris Dragonoure

Iris Dragonoure Your Local Seventeen Trash Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Voice-acted voicebanks and robotic-y voicebanks are my favourites. It's nice to sound realistic, but sometimes you need that cute little reminder that UTAU is still just a program, and that reminder can be unrealistic voices.

8. OngakuCD

OngakuCD Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Idk if this is unpopular utau opinion as its concerning a specific community within utau.

English UTAU

English UTAU seems to be on the rise and we owe thanks to pioneers like Gumbi500, Sango312, and Cz (who gave us a standard reclist with CVVC). But over the course of 7 years, I've only seen progression in the amount of voice banks available for download and not in the much needed material such as ust's. From the CVVC days, ust's were scarce, currently, I still say ust for VCCV are scarce, or more so, non diverse. I can account for only three ust makers in the VCCV community that actively produces ust, and good ones at that. Everyone overuses the same ust because thats all thats on the market

This isn't anyone's fault as with a CV or VCV Japanese banks, making a Midi file, pasting in lyrics, and tuning are simpler due to having more familiarity and experience. English however takes more work (especially in tuning because of how the samples overlap.). However, when you have more people striving for making a voicebank rather than a medium for their voicebanks to be demonstrated, I feel like it defeats the purpose.

I've recently started making ust's of my own and once I'm confident in my abilities to tune, get the right pitch, and use proper samples for pronunciation, I will go back over them and release them.
    some so far examples 1 2 3 4

TL:DR: You can't increase supply without having the demand available because inflation will occur. I feel this is the state the english utau community is in regarding the voicebank to ust ratio.

Hazu パワ, Haichou, Melomad and 5 others like this.
  9. Chianachini

Chianachini Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    A comment that really irks me: "she sounds like a cross between x and y"

I really feels like this invalidates the voice in question. Most voices may be similar, but they are still unique. This type of comment just brings back attention to previous, generally more successful voices. I much prefer comments that actually try to describe the tone or flavor of the voice instead of just comparing them to Gumi or VY1.

However, I understand it's easy to make a comparison and very hard to describe a voice in that I'd like. Perhaps if people really tried to describe a voice with a critical perspective, we wouldn't dismiss a voice just because she's a youthful female, etc.

Olivia091220034 and kimchi-tan like this.
  10. Edgeberry

Edgeberry Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    People need to stop treating Ruko and Ritsu's identities as if they're more than just a joke. Ruko is hermaphrodite, sure, but it's not meant to be taken seriously. Same goes for all the trap UTAU, which is essentially what Ritsu is. It's not that deep, but SJWs gotta blow things out of proportion. =.=