A notice for people making .USTs

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Just yet, Canon (voice provider of Namine Ritsu) tweeted this and asked us to send the message through:

'To non-Japanese UTAU user. If you upload UST,then it should not attach off vocal wave file. it is because of author's copyright. thank you. '

You can read the original tweet here: https://twitter.com/canon_73/status/237910125006954496

It would be very considerate if we stopped doing this, since a lot of Japanese users have become very strict about redistributing.

Angel

Momo's Minion
Yes, but I'm pretty sure this notice will not be spread easily over the whole fandom, and some will still be placing off vocals with their USTs

P

PurinPuff

Angel link said:
Yes, but I'm pretty sure this notice will not be spread easily over the whole fandom, and some will still be placing off vocals with their USTs

I noticed that it's already being spread through Tumblr. I can't say anything about Twitter, though.

Maybe it'd be effective if someone who's fairly well-known (and well subbed) in the fandom would upload a video on YT spreading the word.
I think YT is probably the site with the most UTAU users.

Austria

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
smeen link said:
'To non-Japanese UTAU user. If you upload UST,then it should not attach off vocal wave file. it is because of author's copyright. thank you. '

So waitwaitwaitwait

To non-Japanese UTAU user.
So this apparently doesn't go to the Japanese community?
.-.
We do everything wrong.
Don't we.
Hmph.

But anyway, thanks for the notice.
I'll go show my ust maker friends this message o3o

EDIT: Wait, based on that logic, should we never make covers or release usts then? .-.
Because 'author copyright' and all....

EDIT2: .____.
I'm making no sense am I.
I just realized how stupid I sound .n.

FastSpeedy

Teto's Territory
Austria link said:
[quote author=smeen link=topic=3176.msg23098#msg23098 date=1345558410]

So waitwaitwaitwait

To non-Japanese UTAU user.
So this apparently doesn't go to the Japanese community?
.-.
We do everything wrong.
Don't we.
Hmph.

But anyway, thanks for the notice.
I'll go show my ust maker friends this message o3o

EDIT: Wait, based on that logic, should we never make covers or release usts then? .-.
Because 'author copyright' and all....

EDIT2: .____.
I'm making no sense am I.
I just realized how stupid I sound .n.
[/quote]

You make no sense and you should feel bad ono
Joking xD

But I think they said "non-Japanese" users because probably the Japanese community already knows and follows that. As far as I know (by experience too), the Japanese UST makers don't provide the off vocal with their USTs. So they just wanted to warn the non-Japanese community as well.

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
PKLpikachu link said:
[quote author=Ant link=topic=3176.msg23155#msg23155 date=1345595974]
Does this apply to anime songs as well?
Most likely. It's copyrighted material, after all.
[/quote]

Ahh, okay. I only did it once because the instrumental literally took me prefer to find, and I thought others might have the same problem. Even then it wasn't an official off vocal, it was an instrumental someone made. Anyway, I guess I'll have to take it down and reupload it with only the UST. But, going off of what Austria said before, aren't the lyrics technically copyrighted as well? And there are lyrics inside the UST, aren't there? Technically we're redistributing copyrighted lyrics anyway.

Misha

Momo's Minion
I don't really understand why its a problem? We arent selling the usts with an off vocal, so I don't know why we can't include them. No one's taking credit for it?

But I understand and won't include them any longer.

NicolaCola

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ant link said:
Ahh, okay. I only did it once because the instrumental literally took me forever to find, and I thought others might have the same problem.
A good solution for this would be to put a link to where you can find the off vocal in your readme. That way you're not including the off vocal in the ust download but you're still helping people find it. ^^

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
NicolaCola link said:
[quote author=Ant link=topic=3176.msg23172#msg23172 date=1345606457]
Ahh, okay. I only did it once because the instrumental literally took me forever to find, and I thought others might have the same problem.
A good solution for this would be to put a link to where you can find the off vocal in your readme. That way you're not including the off vocal in the ust download but you're still helping people find it. ^^
[/quote]

Hey, that's a great idea. But still it sounds silly, they're getting the off vocal one way or another. UAU

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Ant link said:
[quote author=NicolaCola link=topic=3176.msg23175#msg23175 date=1345609053]
[quote author=Ant link=topic=3176.msg23172#msg23172 date=1345606457]
[/quote]

Hey, that's a great idea. But still it sounds silly, they're getting the off vocal one way or another. UAU
[/quote]

To make it easy and clear to you:
- Do you redistribute usts? no. Because it's someone else work and you should respect people for that.
- Do you redistribute VBs? No (yet few exceptions exists). Again, it's disrespectful to be distributing someone else work and property.

This exactly applies to instrumentals.

While what Canon said is nothing new (yet OS users have more cases of people redistributing instrumentals without permission), it was a good reminder.

Misha link said:
I don't really understand why its a problem? We arent selling the usts with an off vocal, so I don't know why we can't include them. No one's taking credit for it?

But I understand and won't include them any longer.

The copyright is not meant for having the instrumentals sold, but again, because of redistributions. Yet, I do appreciate that you no longer include instrumentals.

To make a better example.
Do you remember Lejovocaloid issue about people redistributing his fan-made instrumental inside people's I=Fantasy usts? (which from what I remember he made from scratch) He got so offended to the point he had to delete the download because no one was giving him proper credit.

Same applies here. Some people credit the "VOCALOID" for the cover... other give credit to the producers.... but have you thought on the cases where someone makes the music and someone else wrote the lyrics? Do you remember to credit all properly?

Stuff like this as UTAU Etiquette should be reinforced.

We have many ways to get instrumentals: Pay for them on KarenT, iTunes, download them from Piapro or Nicosound. There are many resources.

Link to the instrumental download in decription of the video is an option. Write them on the Read me of the usts is another way too. As easy as that.

Utakoloid

Momo's Minion
I've always thought that is better to don't put the instrumental, no just because copyright things, some people like me have an horrible internet conection and we can't doenload the USTs because the zip is too big due to the instrumental (and more things that people sometimes add to the zip like acapellas >_>)
I also think that put the ust with the link to the instrumental in the readme is the best thing you can do

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
This is good to know. It should have been obvious, but I could see myself doing something like this without even thinking about it.

Ciel Phantomhive

Teto's Territory
Ah, alright! I didn't know this, but I'll be sure not to do it in the future.
Occasionally I'd release the karaoke if I made it myself (For example, with Black and White there was not an official instrumental so I was forced to create one with a vocal remover, and for 魔ゼルな規リン I combined the on-vocal and the off-vocal so I provided that...) but I will not do that from now on. u v u b

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Syekun link said:
Ah, alright! I didn't know this, but I'll be sure not to do it in the future.
Occasionally I'd release the karaoke if I made it myself (For example, with Black and White there was not an official instrumental so I was forced to create one with a vocal remover, and for 魔ゼルな規リン I combined the on-vocal and the off-vocal so I provided that...) but I will not do that from now on. u v u b

Just a note that making an off-vocal for a song without one by simply removing vocals is even more disrespectful. V_V;;  A respectful way of making an off-vocal for a song is, rather than attempt to make a replica of the off-vocal, to re-arrange it, like Suzumu does for Soraru, Lon, and other users.  Circus-P has also done re-arrangements, and we can't forget Orebanana/Giga-P's arrangements of PONPONPON! which wouldn't have been put on an album if he hadn't re-arranged it anyways. 

Rokurin

Momo's Minion
Fair enough.  I think it's better to download the offvocal provided by the composer anyway, to increase their views (on piapro or Nico).

Truth is that I've seen OS people releasing their usts with offvocals included on Niconico and nicochu posting in the comments things like "please remove the offvocal in the download" but ofc no one took notice of that since well, they didn't write it in English. 

A good idea would be to provide a link to the offvocal uploaded by the producer himself/herself...