Advice on using breaths

Sunny

Teto's Territory
I never use breath samples in my utau cover's. But this time, i wanted to give it a shot.

So, i need advices on how to use them, especially on how to use end breaths.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For end breaths, you will need to check the voicebank itself to see how they're written. This might be written in the documentation/readme, but if not you'll have to check the OTO. There's no standard formatting for end breaths, so you might see things such as [a hh] [a R] [a -] etc. so listen to the audio to double check that they're end breaths.

End breaths can be placed at the end of every line or phrase of lyrics. However, it'll sound more natural sometimes on every second line of lyrics, or every stanza (such as only at the end of a verse or the end of a chorus).

For inhaling breaths, you should wait until you're mixing the cover to add them in. This will allow you to adjust the timing more easily than in UTAU. Additionally, a standalone inhale doesn't need to have the length or pitch edited, so if you use them in UTAU they'll only become distorted. Adding inhales while mixing allows them to sound more natural. The position is usually at the start of every couple lines, but you should try singing the song yourself and taking note of where you need to breathe.