Advices for choosing new microphone on Windows 10

Trash69Lord

Momo's Minion
Me and the fiancé are looking into getting a new microphone for gaming/streaming and vocal recordings and I was curious what everyone's opinions are on any microphones they have used and their opinions and tips for a good choice.

I'm trying to get back into Utau but I didn't want to get a microphone that wouldn't be both good for Utau and gaming since we would be sharing it. I know he was thinking of getting an XLR with a phantom power but I'm not sure he knows exactly what he needs for all of that to be used on the PC_Windows 10.

Any feedback, tips and advices are appreciated.

Reactions: Big_B

NordGeit

Your stubborn Yotsuba Channel frequenter. Direct.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Depends on what you got in cashmoney
Anyways the deity gold standard of vocal stuff would be the Neumann U87 AI Switchable Studio Microphone but that's in the "go die" price for normal consumers
/g/ijutsu told me that anything Neumann is good, but I don't recall anything else
I'll go ask them if I find an appropiate thread

Reactions: Trash69Lord

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you're using an XLR microphone, you will need an audio interface in order to connect it to a computer. This is a separate piece of hardware that will allow you to connect audio inputs and outputs, such as microphones, instruments, speakers, or headphones. It will also be able to provide phantom power to a condenser microphone. (Phantom power is not necessary for dynamic microphones.)

If you strictly need to use a single microphone and nothing else, there are simple "XLR to USB converter" interfaces, like the Blue Icicle. However, I highly recommend getting an interface because it gives you a lot more flexibility, especially for musical purposes. A couple interfaces you can check out are Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Behringer UMC22.

Reactions: Trash69Lord