Africa's Children Project

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i was looking through and found this very useful in what to include and it goes into great detail about the phonetics / phonotactics of the launguage i suggest you create it as cvvc with single cvs and add lots of -cc and cc- this will not only make the list much smaller it will make it more launguage compatible as you can keep adding more non swahili specific cc combos ^_^
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jyNEDFSK9IUC&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=consonant+clusters+in+swahili&source=bl&ots=x_PjERNcmU&sig=xHZOFDaQYFvGjy2eYEV9o8CCI2E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAmoVChMIqJCOgbrJyAIVBT4UCh0hvA1j#v=onepage&q=consonant clusters in swahili&f=false
i think since there is only 5 vowels we dont need to use x-sampa for this list ^_^

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
Thank you
i was looking through and found this very useful in what to include and it goes into great detail about the phonetics / phonotactics of the launguage i suggest you create it as cvvc with single cvs and add lots of -cc and cc- this will not only make the list much smaller it will make it more launguage compatible as you can keep adding more non swahili specific cc combos ^_^
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jyNEDFSK9IUC&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=consonant+clusters+in+swahili&source=bl&ots=x_PjERNcmU&sig=xHZOFDaQYFvGjy2eYEV9o8CCI2E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAmoVChMIqJCOgbrJyAIVBT4UCh0hvA1j#v=onepage&q=consonant clusters in swahili&f=false
i think since there is only 5 vowels we dont need to use x-sampa for this list ^_^
Thank you :creepy:

Alessandra

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Hi to all!
This project will be a great thing, because (maybe I'll apologize) the money will be donated for children in Africa. I believe in charity projects: I think helping Others is the best way to be happy!

Paradoxelle

Momo's Minion
Actually, there are some secondary vowels used in Swahili that could use a system other than just plain latin letters, which doesn't have to be X-SAMPA, but I strongly recommend it.

Check page 2 of this book you referenced. Additionally, Swahili has this strange and interesting consonant, that you could make up your own symbol for, or you could save yourself some time and just use X-SAMPA, or a simplified symbol based off of X-SAMPA, as the exact symbol is lengthy... [J\_<] Though on the other hand, the consonants do seem to follow digraphs pretty closely, at least at first glance, so for usability's sake - since you intend this bank for kids, maybe aliasing it with latin letters might be better, so they can practice using the latin alphabet in their own language as part of their quest of learning English. If you could find a way to get something similiar to that tool that CVVC Kasane Teto uses, where you type in the language and it picks the right X-SAMPA samples and applies them to the notes, I think that would be very useful to your plan. That way it is still usable by the students and doesn't sacrifice fluency or expression, or take hald your life to figure out a way to represent it in a more usable way.

Also, as a side note there are allophones of unaspirated and aspirated plosives (t, p, k, etc) which could use the recordings from the English and Japanese banks respectively.

◉EYERIS◉

I am okay
Defender of Defoko
Hello! I am AbigailWK and I am starting a project called Africa's Children Project. This will feature two UTAUloid that I am making. One being Afiya, a Kenyan UTAU and the other being Nehal, a Ethiopian UTAU. Afiya will sing in Swahili, Japanese and English. Nehal will sing in Arabic, Japanese and English. They will also have appends for each language. They will be sold for $15 for regular voicebanks and $20 for append sets. I need help with making the reclist for Swahili and Arabic. Tell me what you think! :D

View attachment 981

View attachment 982
Is this still going on?