An Utaforum UTAU!

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
Vocaloid Otaku's UTAU thread

EDIT: Just to clarify, this UTAU will NOT be a forum mascot. It's only a collaborative UTAU.

So a long long time ago Nikko! brought up the idea of a VO Utau, a sort of "Vipper of the West" and they ended up with two. Someone also mentioned the idea of an Utaforum UTAU, though that idea died without ever coming here...

I do believe we tried this back on Utaforum.co.cc, but it was really kind of disorganized, and was eventually forgotten.

Who thinks we should try to make one?

Viko

Momo's Minion
I totally like this idea(I can give my trap voice to you,guys).
Well,to make it,we need lots of people,voicer,art makers, otoers,personality-story and etc.

P

PurinPuff

Sounds like a lovely idea. :3 I dunno how I'd be able to help, though. Maybe character development?

baye

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Yes! :D I would love to help! I can do a voice, and I'm decent at song covering and UTAU creation!

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
Viko link said:
I totally like this idea(I can give my trap voice to you,guys).
Hmm...how different is it from regular Viko? I'm asking because I thought it was a good idea when someone suggested a Youtube singer, or even a friend who's interested but has never recorded an UTAU might work.

I like the idea of voice and design contests.

Viko link said:
Well,to make it,we need lots of people,voicer,art makers, otoers,personality-story and etc.

Before all that...what kind of UTAU do we want to make? A decent-sounding troll utau? A parody utau? Or...as a play on international utaforum, something that looks like a mashup of many ethnicities?

PurinPuff link said:
Sounds like a lovely idea. :3 I dunno how I'd be able to help, though. Maybe character development?

Sure~ I'm sure we'd all need all the help we can get to hammer out a personality or backstory (if we plan to make one).

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
. . . . I honestly think of Defoko is the closest to UF's mascot. It's all about the neutrality of UTAU and the avoid bias within the community...which makes it completely fair sounding. I'm not discouraging per se.... but you definitely have to run this through with all the moderators/admins. This is their site they're putting so much effort into running, we have no right to just go ahead make a mascot for it silly nilly.
---
Honestly, I think it would be really cool and fun but I have a feeling it might lead to a bit ...arguments. Like. Who gets to voice it and stuff. There might be hurt feelings from this. D8

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind helping out. = u =` Configs, development or art maybe..

Personal opinion, I think though it should be an androgenous and unique character. Not trap, just like androgenous..you know? Because it's rather neutral making it awesome to represent every user. * V *b+ Voicebank should be crystal clear. Enough said which again, may hurt people's feeling who want to voice it.
I feel like it should be familiar with UoTan lol ...because, UTAU mascots yeeeah.

"..even a friend who's interested but has never recorded an UTAU might work."
Since that sounds like just your random IRL friend..No. Bad idea. Sorry, just going to say it out flat. Hope I don't sound mean..
I just think if we're going to all out on an mascot, we should get someone who is familiar with vocals or UTAU. If we want to represent UF ..um, don't you think it makes sense for it to be at least someone who can use UTAU if not even a UTAforum user??? (Though at the same time, it can be thought of as bias once again like Ohhh I really like this person just because type of thing. Also, we don't want this oooone user to have such random influence within the community am i making sense no i am not...I'm leaning towards singer maybe) Singers could do the job...but hmm...where's the fun of grabbing someone random like that? To again, represent UF. This should be an UF effort, y'know? ....Too much controversy I am making between myself ahah.

But that's why I'll agree strongly on contests. :wink: Design though..I don't see why a bunch of artists could maybe make a bunch and then we choose the strongest attributes together? * V * Yeah~~ We don't have to just stick with one person which is idk..boring then. Unless it's really bam.

---
All in all, I don't think we should jump so strongly and straight into this. How about if people like Myst and Hentai really discourage it and just want to only stick with Defoko feeling? Random planning to get your hopes up only....

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
PandaLolii link said:
. . . . I honestly think of Defoko is the closest to UF's mascot. It's all about the neutrality of UTAU and the avoid bias within the community...which makes it completely fair sounding. I'm not discouraging per se.... but you definitely have to run this through with all the moderators/admins. This is their site they're putting so much effort into running, we have no right to just go ahead make a mascot for it silly nilly.

...It's not a mascot. It's a collaborative UTAU. I mean, I don't see a Marie or Callum theme on VO, do you? But if they really complain, then...

Also, the idea of using someone else was to make sure the voice is unique.
Most everyone here has recorded one or two UTAU voicebanks, and even if you modify your voice or voice act the voice can sometimes sound reminiscent of the other banks you recorded for.

That was the advantage VO had, since not everyone there has their own UTAU.

o//////o;;

Ciel Phantomhive

Teto's Territory
I think it would be really fun to do a collab UTAUloid with everyone on UF. UwU

I could lend my voice (I can do a variety of voices, though I find more masculine voices to be easier on my vocal chords, especially if we're going to be doing VCV, and I have a good microphone), or art/designing, or configuring, if it's a CV voicebank.

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Zelfie Windwalker link said:
...It's not a mascot. It's a collaborative UTAU. I mean, I don't see a Marie or Callum theme on VO, do you? But if they really complain, then...

Also, the idea of using someone else was to make sure the voice is unique.
Most everyone here has recorded one or two UTAU voicebanks, and even if you modify your voice or voice act the voice can sometimes sound reminiscent of the other banks you recorded for.

That was the advantage VO had, since not everyone there has their own UTAU.

o//////o;;

Ahh, then "Utaforum UTAU" seemed rather misleading to me..I never really followed VO's threads nor anything else on there, so uh to my defense to your rhetorical question, I honestly wouldn't know /what/ they do with their UTAUs. And it is notably a /Vocaloid/ forum. But I see what you mean with your clarification. I feel like mentioning "group collaboration by members of UF" in any wording would've been more blatant. It sounded like "main focus UTAU thing for UF" type of thing to me ahah (and I honestly wasn't interested in reading the whoooole thread of the VO version to get an idea?..)
---

That's true. But the point I was trying to get to particularly the don't just grab some random person. I think most know how that usually ends up. Though I more than agree that it isn't the best to get someone who already recorded a bank if you want uniqueness. u v u

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
This sounds so cool! :D

I have an idea that probably will not work, but I'm going to pitch it anyways.
A collaborative voicebank.

Everyone can take an individual sample or two and it can be all mashed up together to make one UTAUloid.
Now I already see problems with that.
1. It's granted that the UTAUloid would sound weird.
2. Some samples would have greater coverage than others, depending on the song. Such as "ra", and "a".
3. The quality of the samples would differ immensely.

It would probably be more like a community crack bank, but still, it would allow a lot of people to participate with the voicing.
And yeah. /ends pitching.

Other than that, I can offer art and voicing, if anyone needs it. Maybe the oto, if it's a CV bank,  but I'm not sure with that. (Haven't had much practice, and never did VCV.) Oh, and I have no idea how to make an UST, or input notes-with-correct-timing, but I do write some lyrics from time to time.
Eh, I don't have much to give, really, so I wish you guys luck! :smile:

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
faerimagic link said:
This sounds so cool! :D

Everyone can take an individual sample or two and it can be all mashed up together to make one UTAUloid.
Now I already see problems with that.
1. It's granted that the UTAUloid would sound weird.
2. Some samples would have greater coverage than others, depending on the song. Such as \"ra\", and \"a\".
3. The quality of the samples would differ immensely.

* v * Overseas-Utafest (the DA counterpart to UF) actually started that idea (Monster Project)...awhile back aha! xD They might've dropped the idea by now however. :wink:

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
PandaLolii link said:
* v * Overseas-Utafest (the DA counterpart to UF) actually started that idea (Monster Project)...awhile back aha! xD They might've dropped the idea by now however. :wink:

Ah, whoops, didn't know. XD
Yeah, that must have happened a long time ago, because I never heard about that before. *checked google and deviantart to be sure*

Berin

Momo's Minion
I think it's a great idea as collaborative utau project~ When it comes to the choice of the voice source(s), we should make auditions, like, everyone who wants to be a voice source makes a sample and utaforum will choose the one(s) through a poll. That would guarantee, that the Utau made from that voice really represents UF, you know =w=
I would help with otoing cv and possible cv-vc voicebanks and I think I'm kinda decent at mixing...  click on that orange icon on the left with the white cloud to check my newest songs.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I will provide my POV about this... I already read the topic.

Have in mind that this may feel some people unconfortable, but it's not meant to hurt but to point out some possible problems in the future.

1.- If you are going to make a project "A-la-VIPPER" with many UF users, DO NOT MAKE HER A FORUM MASCOT. Reason: Utaforum is open to OS and JP community, and as someone already said, Utane Uta is the most neutral character so far. UTAUONLINE do not have this "Neutrality" feel in their site... when I first knew about this site I saw Uotan in the banner.... then I saw the "2011 UTAUs" which were pretty much OS ones... those things seriously discouraged me to join the so called site because I didnt feel a sense of neutrality, but mostly support to those UTAULOIDS.

2.- Avoid the traps, at all cost. Traps are overused inside the OS scene, and some of them are pretty much result of a lot of girls who failed at voiceacting boys and decided to make them traps to feel "success"; yet some of them are pretty well done (Harmon-E, boy to girl) or arrived before the "Trap bandwagon" appeared (Ryone Yami).

3.- Look for a male voicer is what I suggest. I have seen a lot of people wanting more male voices that sound manly, since we already have a lot of high pitched ones.

4.- If you are making a big project, try to make it serious. As some of you commented, we don't need newcommers for this... We need people who already know the formats, phonetics, work, ETHICS, etc. Getting an uttaite (YT) would be a nice idea if the person have a HQ microphone and possibly a soundbooth to exploit the maximum HQ possible.

5.- We need post-production work on the samples; not just raw ones directly from microphone. The most worked the wavs, the better.

6.- Provide a romaji reclist with kana alias in case of a CV, or with double-encoding in case of a VCV. This will let any kind of user and locale to work with it.

7.- After postproduction, we should have a Mac users who can convert the samples to MAC so UTAU-Synth could be able to use it too. SoundWave team (Ritsu's team) have developed VBs for both UTAU and UTAU-synth.

8.- Design needs to be original and try to avoid all the UTAU clichés so far: Cryptonloid look, triangle-pattern belts, Black/Red scheme (so OVERUSED), etc. As well... unlike the VOCATONE team, people involved in this project should revise that the design do not look in any way to a UTAULOID that already exists or even one of them. That will cause serious critics.
By this I dont say "Let's make him/her a hipster" but have in mind some stuff is already boring to a lot of users. What I disliked of the VO designs is that, some of them were clichés (Emo, Dragon/KeineRon rip, somethingelseIdontremembernow)

9.- People who make the oto must be methodic and trying to get the most smoothness of the thecnique used (CV, CV-VV-VC, VCV, etc). So it can stand out.

10.- Should take a lot of time and planning. Do not just "Ohh I am gonna make an utau today and release it tomorrow". The most time you take, the better. Most of us are experienced on this software/community and we should be able to have a much better product than the people at VO who were newbies on the topic (yeah, newbies because 80% of their UTAU forum is related to APPLocale issues).

Hope my best... and if someone have a feedback of my points I would love to see what can be gatheter and what can work for so called project.

cupcakuu

Momo's Minion
Yue Nagareboshi link said:
I will provide my POV about this... I already read the topic.

Have in mind that this may feel some people unconfortable, but it's not meant to hurt but to point out some possible problems in the future.

1.- If you are going to make a project \"A-la-VIPPER\" with many UF users, DO NOT MAKE HER A FORUM MASCOT. Reason: Utaforum is open to OS and JP community, and as someone already said, Utane Uta is the most neutral character so far. UTAUONLINE do not have this \"Neutrality\" feel in their site... when I first knew about this site I saw Uotan in the banner.... then I saw the \"2011 UTAUs\" which were pretty much OS ones... those things seriously discouraged me to join the so called site because I didnt feel a sense of neutrality, but mostly support to those UTAULOIDS.

2.- Avoid the traps, at all cost. Traps are overused inside the OS scene, and some of them are pretty much result of a lot of girls who failed at voiceacting boys and decided to make them traps to feel \"success\"; yet some of them are pretty well done (Harmon-E) or arrived before the \"Trap bandwagon\" appeared (Ryone Yami).

3.- Look for a male voicer is what I suggest. I have seen a lot of people wanting more male voices that sound manly, since we already have a lot of high pitched ones.

4.- If you are making a big project, try to make it serious. As some of you commented, we don't need newcommers for this... We need people who already know the formats, phonetics, work, ETHICS, etc. Getting an uttaite would be a nice idea if the person have a HQ microphone and possibly a soundbooth to exploit the maximum HQ possible.

5.- We need post-production work on the samples; not just raw ones directly from microphone. The most worked the wavs, the better.

6.- Provide a romaji reclist with kana alias in case of a CV, or with double-encoding in case of a VCV. This will let any kind of user and locale to work with it.

7.- After postproduction, we should have a Mac users who can convert the samples to MAC so UTAU-Synth could be able to use it too. SoundWave team (Ritsu's team) have developed VBs for both UTAU and UTAU-synth.

8.- Design needs to be original and try to avoid all the UTAU clichés so far: Cryptonloid look, triangle-pattern belts, Black/Red scheme (so OVERUSED), etc. As well... unlike the VOCATONE team, people involved in this project should revise that the design do not look in any way to a UTAULOID that already exists or even one of them. That will cause serious critics.
By this I dont say \"Let's make him/her a hipster\" but have in mind some stuff is already boring to a lot of users. What I disliked of the VO designs is that, some of them were clichés (Emo, Dragon/KeineRon rip, somethingelseIdontremembernow)

9.- People who make the oto must be methodic and trying to get the most smoothness of the thecnique used (CV, CV-VV-VC, VCV, etc). So it can stand out.

10.- Should take a lot of time and planning. Do not just \"Ohh I am gonna make an utau today and release it tomorrow\". The most time you take, the better. Most of us are experienced on this software/community and we should be able to have a much better product than the people at VO who were newbies on the topic (yeah, newbies because 80% of their UTAU forum is related to APPLocale issues).

Hope my best... and if someone have a feedback of my points I would love to see what can be gatheter and what can work for so called project.

Agreed with most of what Yue said.~

Although this is something that I would love to do. I actually would like to work in a group to create a very HQ UTAU.~

RenYao

Momo's Minion
Why don't you just hold a contest and have people on UtaForum vote? Then the majority can be happy, and I think if everybody tried to do a huge collab, then there'd be fighting about the color, gender, age, voice, etc., since everybody has a different view of what represents UtaForum best.

Ciel Phantomhive

Teto's Territory
RenYao link said:
Why don't you just hold a contest and have people on UtaForum vote? Then the majority can be happy, and I think if everybody tried to do a huge collab, then there'd be fighting about the color, gender, age, voice, etc., since everybody has a different view of what represents UtaForum best.

We're... not really trying to represent UtaForum? @_@;;
I think the point is to just do a collaboration. And obviously if it's a collaboration then the decisions would be made in groups.

All I can really say on top of what Yue said is, THE VOICE ACTOR NEEDS TO HAVE A VERY GOOD MICROPHONE.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
RenYao link said:

I recommend you to read all the thread before making a post. It was said since the beginning that this is a collective UTAULOID and NOT a mascot for the forum.

The point of making a collaboration work, aka project inside UTAU enviroment, is to gather ideas between people, delegate the work inside the team, accept and reject concepts according to what the team thinks (this is US not ME), and give a final product that may or may not be liked by the clients (UTAU users).

Just like a business in real life.