Artist Critique Thread

Should there be a Critique Team?

• Keep it open so everyone can share their thoughts.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Have a Critique Team but anyone can request to join.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Have a Critique Team of only Artists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

★M3ROKA★

.Puri
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
✩Art Critique Thread✩

This thread is to help those who want an honest opinion in order to improve or fix mistakes in a piece of work that they perhaps didn't realise was there. However, I'd like this thread to remain positive and respectful; it's not meant to discourage people from drawing as everyone starts somewhere and it takes time to improve; it'd be great if we could improve together as a community! :D

✩GUIDELINES AND RULES:
- C
onstructive criticism only please, no mean-spirited posts with nothing to contribute to the artist.
- 3D models are welcome as long as they are completely original (No MMD edits)
- Work doesn't have to be digital, traditional is accepted too
- The point of a critique is to get a new view on your work because sometimes we artists can't see our own flaws, myself included.

To the Artist:
- Please explain a bit about the image; what you're trying to accomplish with it, what you are struggling or unhappy with and what style you're going for as well as your intentions for the image (for example concept art/cover art).
- Please indicate whether or not you are okay with a critic doing a quick paintover (painting or drawing on top of another artist's image, suggesting how to improve it.) to indicate what they mean in a visual manner.
- You don't have to alter your work as suggested by all the critics but please take into consideration that someone just took the time to evaluate your work and that you should think about what they said seriously if you wish to improve rather than dismissing it.
- If you're a beginner, please don't be discouraged by criticism; we were all beginners at one time and this is meant to be a friendly and honest thread to help and advise you by suggesting improvements and relevant guides to help you.
- Remember the only way to improve is to practice~ Use the advice you get from critiques in your practice and the more you practice the faster you'll improve! Practice practice practice--~~ *spins*

To the Critic:
- Please mention what you like about the piece as well as what could be improved.
- Please be careful with your choice of words when critiquing a piece of work and avoid words with negative connotations like bad, horrible, wrong, stupid, etc.
- Refer to specifics when critiquing, don't just say "the anatomy is off", what part of the anatomy is incorrect?
- Link relevant imagery and guides if you think it will help the artist.
- Remember that the correct way to critique work is to offer suggestions that the artist may (or may not) choose to implement in their revisions.
- Please don't argue with other users, focus on your advice and allow others to give their opinions as well.

More guidelines and information will be added in response to questions & suggestions~~<3

Example Request:

"Hi, I'm working on a piece at the moment and I'd like some advice. This is going to be the official concept for [intention], who is meant to be a relaxed and gentle character; here is a sample of the voice [link]. With this character, I'm going for a [style] look, but I think the pose is too static, and I can't seem to get the pose how I want it to look which is relaxed but not static and boring. I'm also struggling with my lighting, I want a CG look, but I think my light is either interesting enough or incorrect. I don't mind if you do a paint over to suggest some improvements for me."

You can provide references and links to show what you're trying to achieve

Example Critique: (pfft I'm not the best critic, I'm normally asking for critiques pls help)
"Hey [user]! What I really like about the concept at the moment is that it is a very nice character design, it's not too excessive, which would conflict with a gentle and relaxed persona, and it fits the character description and voice very well. As for the pose, I attempted a paint over here [link] to show you how you could make it less static since I'm not very good at explaining using only words [link] I tried to make the pose a bit more dramatic, but what you could do is look at some photo references of poses you like, break it down into 3D shapes and build your pose in your style from that but I would refrain from imitating poses from other artists as you could copy their mistakes unintentionally. Here is some reference sites that I normally use [link] and if you cannot find a pose you like, you can always ask someone to pose for you and work from that. And if you want to make the investment, I would suggest buying these books by Andrew Loomis; I found them really helpful in improving my anatomy and weight balance in figures [link] and as you said your lighting could be improved on, I think it would be better to have a light from the side rather than directly from the front; try looking at this: [link] it shows how dramatic lighting works from different angles. Maybe experiment with the different angles and find one that works the best?"

If people are also interested in a monthly drawing challenge with a subject matter where everyone can post something and get an in-depth evaluation as well as a small prize for taking part; or a thing where people who show the most improvement in a certain amount of time get a special prize?

I'd like to have people's thoughts on a Critique Team? Do you think it'd be wise to have one in order to keep things organised and prevent thoughtless posts or should it be kept open in order for everyone to contribute? I'm thinking of keeping it open at the moment to see how it goes? Thoughts and opinions are appreciated~

Last edited: