Asterisk in oto?

P

partial

What is the reason for it?
I believe I've seen some configurations of Defoko's that are like that. I'm not on my PC right now so sorry if this doesnt make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I believe it's meant to distinguish between vowels OTO'd for the start of a phrase and vowels that blend smoothly. The smoothly blending ones have asterisks. This is something I noticed when using UTAU's auto-VCV.

P

partial

I believe it's meant to distinguish between vowels OTO'd for the start of a phrase and vowels that blend smoothly. The smoothly blending ones have asterisks. This is something I noticed when using UTAU's auto-VCV.
I see. I've never seen this outside a handful of otos before and I've never noticed it when using auto VCV either.
Is it something within the oto itself or can it be used on any note?

Similarly, I sometimes see people using ? in USTs. What is the point of that?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Similarly, I sometimes see people using ? in USTs. What is the point of that?

Prefixing a note with a question mark will bypass the prefix map. That way, you can use the sample without a suffix, even if that particular pitch would normally have a suffix.

Reactions: partial
P

partial

Prefixing a note with a question mark will bypass the prefix map. That way, you can use the sample without a suffix, even if that particular pitch would normally have a suffix.
What do you mean "bypass the prefix map"? If I have a 4 pitch VB and use a question mark, how would using a question mark pick a sample?
I just woke up, sorryyyy

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What do you mean "bypass the prefix map"? If I have a 4 pitch VB and use a question mark, how would using a question mark pick a sample?
I just woke up, sorryyyy
Let's say that 3 of the sets have suffixes and 1 set doesn't. The prefix map is set up so that some pitches have suffixes and some don't. For example, D4 uses the C4 suffix. If you put a note in the UST at D4 and typed the lyric [ka] then UTAU would play [kaC4] instead. But if you want it to use "ka" without a suffix and still be at D4, you'd type in [?ka].

Reactions: partial
P

partial

Let's say that 3 of the sets have suffixes and 1 set doesn't. The prefix map is set up so that some pitches have suffixes and some don't. For example, D4 uses the C4 suffix. If you put a note in the UST at D4 and typed the lyric [ka] then UTAU would play [kaC4] instead. But if you want it to use "ka" without a suffix and still be at D4, you'd type in [?ka].
Oh, now that makes sense. Generally when I do multipitch I give every pitch a suffix, I guess that's why I was lost. Thanks for clarifying!

Reactions: Kiyoteru